Polska Wedzona & Spanish Chorizo (sausages)

Rich G

TVWBB Honor Circle
Been lurking around, just not posting much as I haven't really cooked anything new of late. While these aren't new, I haven't linked up any ground meat in a while! :) Recently made up a couple of small (4lb) batches of two of my favorite sausages..... Polska Wedzona (a mild polish/kielbasa) and Spanish Chorizo (primarily a paprika sausage.) Used my favorite hog casings from Syracuse Casing Company, and they snap oh so good! :)

Ground up some pork butt, and a few pieces of the CostCo sliced pork belly, then mixed them up good with my spices and cure #1. Stuffed into casings using my turn of the century cast iron stuffer.....

1726239943087.jpeg

1726239952652.jpeg

Linked up the ropes, then hung them to dry a bit on my high-end sausage stick.....

1726239978009.jpeg

1726239989462.jpeg

Let the links chill overnight in the fridge, then got them in my side smoke box on the pellet grill the next day. Ran them at about 150 for six hours, then finish in a poaching bath @ 170 to get them up to 154/155 internal.

1726240364257.jpeg

1726240049147.jpeg

1726240061910.jpeg

1726240071990.jpeg

Both sausages were outstanding in the flavor department! I didn't mix the chorizo enough, and you can see that in the lack of tight cohesion in the sliced pic.....a flaw, but doesn't harm the taste of it at all. Both of them can be sliced and eaten cold, but they shine on the grill! Some of the chorizo also made it's way onto a pizza.....

1726240139805.jpeg

Only two of us in the house as my youngest has headed off to school for the Fall, so not sure when I'll get to do some more links.....

R

Been lurking around, just not posting much as I haven't really cooked anything new of late. While these aren't new, I haven't linked up any ground meat in a while! :) Recently made up a couple of small (4lb) batches of two of my favorite sausages..... Polska Wedzona (a mild polish/kielbasa) and Spanish Chorizo (primarily a paprika sausage.) Used my favorite hog casings from Syracuse Casing Company, and they snap oh so good! :)

Ground up some pork butt, and a few pieces of the CostCo sliced pork belly, then mixed them up good with my spices and cure #1. Stuffed into casings using my turn of the century cast iron stuffer.....

View attachment 99918

View attachment 99919

Linked up the ropes, then hung them to dry a bit on my high-end sausage stick.....

View attachment 99920

View attachment 99921

Let the links chill overnight in the fridge, then got them in my side smoke box on the pellet grill the next day. Ran them at about 150 for six hours, then finish in a poaching bath @ 170 to get them up to 154/155 internal.

View attachment 99926

View attachment 99922

View attachment 99923

View attachment 99924

Both sausages were outstanding in the flavor department! I didn't mix the chorizo enough, and you can see that in the lack of tight cohesion in the sliced pic.....a flaw, but doesn't harm the taste of it at all. Both of them can be sliced and eaten cold, but they shine on the grill! Some of the chorizo also made it's way onto a pizza.....

View attachment 99925

Only two of us in the house as my youngest has headed off to school for the Fall, so not sure when I'll get to do some more links.....

R
Rich - Talk about the casings from Syracuse Co, are they shirred on tubes

Rich - Talk about the casings from Syracuse Co, are they shirred on tubes
They offer both tubed, and not tubed. They also offer a home pack size on the 32-35mm hog casing, BUT it's not the shorts like other companies throw in their home packs. It's the same, commercial quality casing that's in all of their packaging. I find them to be very price competitive, and the quality has been top notch every time. I've used hog casings as well as sheep casings (snack sticks and breakfast links) from them.

This go around was the first time I've purchased a home pack from them. You get 30 yards on either 3 or 4 tubes (I'm too lazy to get up and check!) I used one tube for this 8lb batch (with some waste between batches), and had about a yard left.

Back