Pollo asado chicken thighs

Using this recipe?

I've used your recipe a couple times with a couple changes:

1/2 tsp cayenne (a full tsp combined with 1 TBL Chili is a tad hot for the wifey)
I skip the Chili flakes (again for the wifey)
We mostly use thighs, but if I do use Breasts, I pound the Breasts first (can I say that here?)

It's a very good recipe, I too let it go overnight

Using this recipe?

I've used your recipe a couple times with a couple changes:

1/2 tsp cayenne (a full tsp combined with 1 TBL Chili is a tad hot for the wifey)
I skip the Chili flakes (again for the wifey)
We mostly use thighs, but if I do use Breasts, I pound the Breasts first (can I say that here?)

It's a very good recipe, I too let it go overnight
yeah, heat is a personal thing. good call on dialing down. i tend, or tended, to overheat my food. i am eating much less spicy these days per the doc's reccos.

i am using this version today:

Kosher salt to taste - I used around 1 Tbs
Black pepper to taste - I used around 1 Tbs
1 Tbs granulated garlic
2 tsp granulated onion
1 Tbs chili powder - I used extra hot
1 tsp cayenne pepper (to your taste buds)
1 Tbs chili flakes - or more if you want heat
2 tsp ground cumin
1/3 cup cooking oil - I like cooking olive oil that, not evoo as cooking olive oil is already heat treated
4 Tbs frozen pineapple juice concentrate
1/4 cup lime juice

2 Tbs dried oregano - rub the oregano between your palms as you sprinkle it onto the chicken. You’re trying to crush it to open up its flavor.
ACV for the acid as I didn't want to press fresh limes this AM as i only have two on hand and want them for guac and or salsa.

this version, above and today's mods are the "standard" for pollo asada. the flavors make up the base mexican flavors one would get locally in a CA taqueria (MX too, but in MX they'll use fresh citrus more in their marinade).

i have a bunch of street taco corn tortillas which i personally like for these. basically three bite tacos.

i also have some tomatillos in the fridge so thinking a tomatillo with one tomato salsa for the sauce, with fresh minced white onion and cilantro.

and either margs or cerveza. weather looks like a beautiful day today. finally we're in the early spring groove here!!!

i'm glad you like the original recipe. always feel free to make it yours when cooking. we all have different flavor profiles.

and i'll cook these over JD with a few slivers of ca white oak for that natural wood nose we've come to like.

It's a beautiful day. I'm stuck in the office. First time this month I'd rather be out on the road than in the office. Has not been fun driving to ID and back this month
yeah, that winter ID weather can be challenging in your big rig. a few more storms here and we should be done. and then sunny skies till November.

Lookin good, did you miss the raw onion and cilantro?......Like miss it as in you wish you had them or you didn't need them.
I go back and forth and being the only cilantro eater in the house I feel like I miss it.

Last edited:
My favorite goto for my fajita/taco style chicken is:

1709131099738.png
Put the contents of entire can in a blender and add 1 cup olive oil and 1/2 cup white vinegar (1/2 cup of olive oil and 1/4 cup white vinegar, for spicy) as well as about 3 or 4 tablespoons of my taco seasoning, or you could use any rub or taco seasoning you like.

My taco seasoning:

2 parts chili powder
2 parts cumin
2 parts paprika
2 part garlic powder
2 part onion powder
2 part black pepper
1 part cayenne pepper
1 part oregano
1 part salt

Blend it all until it's smooth and put in a container to stay in the fridge. I love this because I can make it and it lasts for 4 or 5 cooks. I've used it on chicken, pork chops, and pork loins.

When it's time for chicken or pork, I scoop out about 3 or 4 tablespoons of the mixture into a bowl to let it warm back up into a liquid then I brush it on all sides of the meat at least 30 minutes prior to grilling, but have done overnight as well.

This is what I came up with when my daughter was obsessed with Qdoba chicken and wanted me to recreate it. It's pretty spot on.

Lookin good, did you miss the raw onion and cilantro?......Like miss it as in you wish you had them or you didn't need them.
I go back and forth and being the only cilantro eater in the house I feel like I miss it.
The salsa had loads of flavor so the cilantro onions weren’t needed. The chicken took on its marinade well so I felt that another flavor level wasn’t necessary.

5 of these, a Coors light and I was good. Had some chips and salsa too. Simple is good sometimes. Just enjoy the flavor train.

My favorite goto for my fajita/taco style chicken is:

View attachment 87072
Put the contents of entire can in a blender and add 1 cup olive oil and 1/2 cup white vinegar (1/2 cup of olive oil and 1/4 cup white vinegar, for spicy) as well as about 3 or 4 tablespoons of my taco seasoning, or you could use any rub or taco seasoning you like.

My taco seasoning:

2 parts chili powder
2 parts cumin
2 parts paprika
2 part garlic powder
2 part onion powder
2 part black pepper
1 part cayenne pepper
1 part oregano
1 part salt

Blend it all until it's smooth and put in a container to stay in the fridge. I love this because I can make it and it lasts for 4 or 5 cooks. I've used it on chicken, pork chops, and pork loins.

When it's time for chicken or pork, I scoop out about 3 or 4 tablespoons of the mixture into a bowl to let it warm back up into a liquid then I brush it on all sides of the meat at least 30 minutes prior to grilling, but have done overnight as well.

This is what I came up with when my daughter was obsessed with Qdoba chicken and wanted me to recreate it. It's pretty spot on.
Ugh, I meant to post this in the thread asking for recipes for chicken and veggies. lol.

The salsa had loads of flavor so the cilantro onions weren’t needed. The chicken took on its marinade well so I felt that another flavor level wasn’t necessary.

5 of these, a Coors light and I was good. Had some chips and salsa too. Simple is good sometimes. Just enjoy the flavor train.
I can't get over how cooking that style and being simple is where it is at.....we cook like that all the time and it is great.
5 tacos......must have been a hard day at the office.....I used to be able to eat 5 at one time :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

Last edited:
I can't get over how cooking that style and being simple is where it is at.....we cook like that all the time and it great.
5 tacos......must have been a hard day at the office.....I used to be able to eat 5 at one time :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:
Street tacos are like 4.5 inches in diameter. Like 3 bite tacos. Regular tacos are like 6-7 inches diameter. Those are much larger. 2-3 of those stuffed and I’m done.

Street tacos are like 4.5 inches in diameter. Like 3 bite tacos. Regular tacos are like 6-7 inches diameter. Those are much larger. 2-3 of those stuffed and I’m done.
That's what it is.....I go for 2 and sometimes stretch it out for 3 if they are not really full.
I don't know how how big the ones we use are but 6 inches would be a good guess.

Back