Pollo asado chicken thighs

@Brett-EDH That looks amazing
If you do not me asking, how are you able to cut the chicken into chunks like that? Learning ways to improve my chicken BBQ skills and would love to kno whow to do this. TY

I have to get off of the lazy bandwagon, my SPG chicken tacos are seriously lagging in comparison to these! Next cook will be better. (y)

@Brett-EDH That looks amazing
If you do not me asking, how are you able to cut the chicken into chunks like that? Learning ways to improve my chicken BBQ skills and would love to kno whow to do this. TY
i start with bone in skin on chicken thighs, usually in bulk packs, say 10 pieces per pack.

i'll debone them and remove the cartilage and save the bones for stock.

i prefer skin on chicken thighs as the skin, when rendered cooks up crisp and adds a bacon-like texture when cutting the thighs.

once cooked, i'll place a thigh on the cutting board (after resting 5-10 mins), and then slice across the thigh, either into two or three strips. then i'll rotate the knife and begin making the individual chunks. and then i'll often run the knife through the cubed meat for an additional one to two more chops.

the goal is smaller than bite size but still chunks of chicken. this way you can pile some into a taco or burrito. larger chunks tend to fall out of tacos so you'll learn to get to the right size so you keep you chicken in the taco versus falling onto your plate.

i do the same for breasts as well. usually when i make pollo asado, i'll do 8 thighs and 2-3 breasts. that's plenty of food for 7-8 people or 4 with leftovers for a few more meals thereafter.

for larger taco parties (football or gatherings, i can do 12 thighs and 4-5 breasts. the combo gives a good balance of lean to fat meat. no one ever complains. use the original recipe for pollo asado that Chuck linked to earlier in this post. the frozen juice concentrate is a key ingredient in flavoring the protein. it's a little lackluster without it as i rediscovered last night. not that this cook was bad, but i prefer that hint of fruit in the back note. that's what make pollo asado actually asado, fruit juice!

My favorite goto for my fajita/taco style chicken is:

View attachment 87072
Put the contents of entire can in a blender and add 1 cup olive oil and 1/2 cup white vinegar (1/2 cup of olive oil and 1/4 cup white vinegar, for spicy) as well as about 3 or 4 tablespoons of my taco seasoning, or you could use any rub or taco seasoning you like.

My taco seasoning:

2 parts chili powder
2 parts cumin
2 parts paprika
2 part garlic powder
2 part onion powder
2 part black pepper
1 part cayenne pepper
1 part oregano
1 part salt

Blend it all until it's smooth and put in a container to stay in the fridge. I love this because I can make it and it lasts for 4 or 5 cooks. I've used it on chicken, pork chops, and pork loins.

When it's time for chicken or pork, I scoop out about 3 or 4 tablespoons of the mixture into a bowl to let it warm back up into a liquid then I brush it on all sides of the meat at least 30 minutes prior to grilling, but have done overnight as well.

This is what I came up with when my daughter was obsessed with Qdoba chicken and wanted me to recreate it. It's pretty spot on.
that looks good. TY for this share.

Back