Poblano Rellenos and Tony's Refried Beans

Cliff Bartlett

R.I.P. 5/17/2021
My wife wanted me to make on of her favorite dishes, Poblano Rellenos. It's a Weber recipe and I've been making them for years. I was trying to think of something to go along with it and it struck me, Tony's Refried Beans! I've been wanting to do those ever since he posted that recipe. Here are some pic's.

Got some nice Roma tomatoes and Poblano (Pasilla?) peppers for the rellenos.

Washed and on the grill over some direct high heat.

Nicely seared after about 10 minutes.

Tomatoes peeled and cored. Peppers peeled, cleaned and slit for stuffing.

Tomatoes and ONE Chipotle Chili packed in Adobo Sauce in the food processer until smooth.

The peppers are stuffed. The stuffing consists of 1/2 cup white onion, finely chopped and cooked in OO for 6-8 minutes. No pic of this. Then mix in one cup cooked white rice, 4 oz. of goat cheese and finally 1/4 cup raisins, plumped in hot water and drained.

Now for Tony's beans. First the onion. Used yellow, about half onion.

Added the peppers and beans. Just as Tony directed. Beans on.

Beans done after bring to boil, smashing and bringing to second boil.

Last edited:
Everything is done. Here is a plate. Nice sauce splotch on the plate. Sorry about that.

Our plated meal.

These rellanos are delicious. Give them a try. I boiled a tad too much liquid out of the beans, but they were still great. My wife said, and I agree, best refried beans we've ever had. Thanks Tony! Thanks everyone for taking the time to look!

Last edited:
Big fan of Rellanos! Looks amazing,....(where's my bib?)
Good work an thanks for sharing the recipe.:D

Stunning! Oliver stands and drool over these beans but i guess they are pretty hot right? I will make another version for him i guess. Well done bro

Thanks for sharing the recipe Cliff, that looks really good. I've been making Tony's beans for a while now and they are really good. If you get a chance try his rice recipe, really good too. I sub out the tomato sauce and use I/2 of a can of Ro-Tel tomatoes with green chilies or enchilada sauce for a different twist, but it's great just the way it is.

Wow. These look amazing. I'd love to know more about those beans! Is there a posting with the details on how to make?

Wow those look really good. I've never tried that dish. I agree Tony's bean recipe is golden. It has become a family favorite. Nice job!

My kind of meal.... Glad you like the bean recipe. Try adding chopped tomato next time. Its good.

You know Brian, sometimes I can be a real dumb a**. I forgot to post the picture of the reheating of the stuffed peppers. I heated them up for about 10 minutes, medium indirect. That's one thing I like about this dish. You can make the stuffed peppers ahead of time (if you want to) and then throw them on at the end for the final heat. It's kind of handy, particularly if your grilling other items for the meal. Less hectic. For your viewing pleasure here is the picture I missed.

Thanks Tony for the tomato idea. Thanks everyone for all of your comments!!

Last edited:

Back