Placement of Clay Saucer

JRAiona

TVWBB Gold Member
I've read much about the use of a clay saucer as a heat sink and I'm fairly certain this is the direction I want to take. Those of you who use one do you just set it in the empty water pan and do you foil the saucer?

Those of you who use one do you just set it in the empty water pan and do you foil the saucer?
I do (did).
until it broke and I tossed it out... Now, I go "naked". no saucer whatsoever...
only foil over the top of the waterpan

This may be overkill, but I double-foil the water pan by default; then double-foil the clay saucer, at least on the concave side. Heavy duty foil, of course.

I foil the whole water pan and clay saucer. Get the 24" heavy duty aluminum foil, it makes the job a lot easier.

JRAiona - I'm pretty sure I'm the only one that does, here's a pic or 2.

This is the disk before it's foiled over.

In this one you can see it under the grate.

The disk is between 17"- 18" in diameter and is used primarily as a baffle. I know I could just foil the bowl but this way allows me an air pocket between the bottom of the bowl and where the drippings land. You can if you're interested, google plow or harrow disk or if you know some one who works in a metal shop that can cut you one. They always say here to try different things and go with what works for you and this is what works for me, hands down.

I use a clay saucer, I wrap the pan and saucer in foil. I must say that steel disc looks like a great opition
BillMc

What size WSM do you have and how big is the saucer? Do you just rest it on the brackets the water pan would rest on?

Back