Pizza on the Weber Summit Kamado

With these latest trends around here, Chris may need to think about two more subcategories; Charcoal Summit & Pizza!

Looking at your pics again Dan.....I am always afraid that the dough won't cook all the way through, I try to make mine thinner than your raw pizza looks...I would assume yours cooked all the way through even in the middle. Just missing fresh herbs!!! Some trimmed basil and possibly blue cheese drizzle....I will try to keep quiet until I have something to contribute. :cool:
20220423_182216.jpg
Yeah, the crust was thicker than I normally do.

We usually make 14 to 16 inch pies, but these were going on a 14 inch stone, so they were more like 12 inch.

One option is a 16 inch stone.

Another is less dough per pie.

This one above was about a 12 inch pie with 280 g of dough.

This one was the last one cooked and it was smaller diameter and thicker

20220423_195225.jpg

Last edited:
I think there is more than one way to make a great pizza, and I'm positive there are many ways to make an average or poor one.

I'd say I have journeymen level skill cooking pizza in an electric oven or on my gas grill, but I'm still in apprentice mode on the E6 and will be experimenting a bit.

I want to do another cook with my same-day recipe that has a little sugar in it to see if the burned edge was temp related or dough related.

@Brett-EDH can you share the "screens" you've mentioned?

easiest way to never burn a pizza crust bottom. once the pie is cooked, "deck it" by removing the pizza from the screen and using heat resistant gloves, remove the screen and place your pie atop your stone or steel for final crisping of the pizza bottom.

these are aluminum and clean up easily and store flat atop your pizza plate you're likely using to cut your pie on.

Recent pic after decking a pizza.

1650926404138.jpeg

280g and a 12" pie is what I always do, and I can get them plenty thin without having a huge cornicione.

I think an "authentic" Neapolitan pie would use 250g for a 10-12" pie, so I'm in the neighborhood.

I actually think one of the skills that takes more time to master in home pizza making is opening the skins properly. Of course, the more you make, the easier it gets! :)

R

The pizza, on a screen atop the steel. Note, these are 14" pies and IIRC dough ball weights of around 323g. NY style, thin skin with a slightly thicker crust. NY is a derivative of Neapolitan style. Neapolitan is known for its soft, floppy center and chewy cornicione.

if you want to read about pizza making, try this forum: https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php

it's easy to spend days there reading and learning.

1650926505803.jpeg

The cooked pie.

1650926559094.jpeg

The money shot

1650926594844.jpeg

Last edited:
Looking at your pics again Dan.....I am always afraid that the dough won't cook all the way through, I try to make mine thinner than your raw pizza looks...I would assume yours cooked all the way through even in the middle. Just missing fresh herbs!!! Some trimmed basil and possibly blue cheese drizzle....I will try to keep quiet until I have something to contribute. :cool:
If your temp is too hot, your concern is valid. You’ll get a burnt bottom and raw top. Balance the steel/stone temp and the heat cooking temp. You’ll have to figure it out. I like ambient temps of ~500°. But experiment. It’s worth the learning curve.

I have trays like that, I was told max temp 450. Any thoughts?
could very well be. what kinda pie? what hydration dough? what cooking surface? what cooking heat source? there's A LOT that goes into choosing a cook temp. i can share that starting lower is better than higher. i decimated a pie when i first got my new steel. incinerated it in 90 seconds. i truly mean incinerated it. IIRC, my gas grill was pegged at 600F. that steel had to be hella much hotter. it took a long time for the steel to cool down, and that's with the hood left open. that's what lent me to buy a digital laser temp gun; so i could know what TF i was doing.

yes this is an oven video but there's a lot of science and know how here. it's worth watching IMO.

could very well be. what kinda pie? what hydration dough? what cooking surface? what cooking heat source? there's A LOT that goes into choosing a cook temp. i can share that starting lower is better than higher. i decimated a pie when i first got my new steel. incinerated it in 90 seconds. i truly mean incinerated it. IIRC, my gas grill was pegged at 600F. that steel had to be hella much hotter. it took a long time for the steel to cool down, and that's with the hood left open. that's what lent me to buy a digital laser temp gun; so i could know what TF i was doing.
Sorry the manufacturer of the aluminum recommended no higher than 450.

I just picked up a double laser temp gun for under $30, seems pretty nice.
I ordered the GMG pizza oven for my SmokeFire.

I’m going down the rabbit hole with Dan!
4AF2EB06-05D7-44F0-89B4-B0F50AEF1637.jpeg

Sorry the manufacturer of the aluminum recommended no higher than 450.

I just picked up a double laser temp gun for under $30, seems pretty nice.
I ordered the GMG pizza oven for my SmokeFire.

I’m going down the rabbit hole with Dan!
View attachment 49746
you're ahead of where i was when i started. i just went crazy when i bought the steel. never seen anything get so hot like that. it was quite scary.

since then i've learned to dial down all the cook temps. things i learned: you cannot rush making pizza. your dough will determine your pizza quality. sauce is never pre-cooked. high quality olive oil means everything to taste. peperoni is just too greasy for pizza. fresh mozz cooks very differently than the retail blocks most of us are used to. flavor comes in layers (true for all cooking). hydration should be experimented with. less is more when it comes to pizza flavor. fresh is always better than processed. always have good wine on hand to enjoy pizza with. it just makes everything better.

i have this laser thermometer: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...57-5&pdp_ext_f={"sku_id":"12000022362919027"}

Last edited:
you're ahead of where i was when i started. i just went crazy when i bought the steel. never seen anything get so hot like that. it was quite scary.

since then i've learned to dial down all the cook temps. things i learned: you cannot rush making pizza. your dough will determine your pizza quality. sauce is never pre-cooked. high quality olive oil means everything to taste. peperoni is just too greasy for pizza. fresh mozz cooks very differently than the retail blocks most of us are used to. flavor comes in layers (true for all cooking). hydration should be experimented with. less is more when it comes to pizza flavor. fresh is always better than processed. always have good wine on hand to enjoy pizza with. it just makes everything better.

i have this laser thermometer: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002826900428.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.30905b58DP36cD&algo_pvid=3370ec44-6d78-4376-bb5d-66eed20e5b57&algo_exp_id=3370ec44-6d78-4376-bb5d-66eed20e5b57-5&pdp_ext_f={"sku_id":"12000022362919027"}
I ran a pizza joint for a few years, pretty automated stuff, but for the simple things you mentioned it is pretty much bang on. I remember everyone wanting their pizza loaded with everything it could hold. This is a bad pizza.......I have a few rules I like to follow but one of the easier ones is about the taste.......I like to make sure there isn't too many different toppings on it, and not loaded up either. There are many different flavors you can get with combinations but some do not do the pizza any justice.....like pineapple and onion...or green peppers for example. Simple thing I keep in mind while building the pizza with say 3 different toppings....................just make sure that every bite is a combination of 2 of those 3 toppings. Happy mouth.
"Ran a pizza joint for a few years you say" so why are you so worried????? lol.........
Let's just say I like to have a perfect pizza, I know I will get it while using the E6, I just hate making mistakes. ;)
These mistake are probably still going to be fun and tasty at the least.

Back