Pizza on the Weber Summit Kamado

Very solid start. Don’t leave the rapid fire damper open. It’s a furnace in there with full open. I’d recco just adjusting the vent to full open and keep the rapid part in its down position.

Which dough you using?

All the pies look great, Dan! If you used the dough recipe I posted, let me know what you thought!

R

Thanks Brett. I had the damper down, but opened the bottom full to get a piece of oak going, but turned my back on it for a couple of mins between cooks and it launched up in temp.

Dough. First 2 were Rich G, next 2 one I've used before, last 2 Rich G.

I didn't have semolina to make yours. Next time.

Made x4 of @Rich G dough last night. They were great. Used half King Arthur high protein bread flour, half 00 Caputo red bag.

I made a x2 of a same day batch that blooms the yeast with a little sugar. I'll post the recipe in a bit, but I'm not sure it is a high heat dough. Maybe better at 500F

Rich's recipe was better, yet it is an overnight dough.

Today I decided to make more dough, so I did another x2 batch of a different recipe, and for a same day dough, it was OK, yet I wonder if the sugar led to the crust burning.

Thread 'Rich's "Nearly-politan" Pizza Dough' https://tvwbb.com/threads/richs-nearly-politan-pizza-dough.90893/

Last edited:
It was great. I just don't have a scale that can measure .25 grams of AD yeast 😁
Easy fix.....if your scale can only reliably measure 2g, then you have to make 8 pizzas. :)

As I said in the other thread, 1/8th of a tsp is pretty much .5g, so wing it! :)

Glad you enjoyed the recipe. I've been using it for years......easy, and it has never failed me (I have failed it, but never the other way around.)

R

I used one teaspoon of ADY for a 4x batch.

I have a scale, but it's only accurate to one gram.
I picked up an inexpensive small scale on Amazon quite a while ago so I could accurately measure the sometimes very small amounts of spice for batches of sausage. :)

R

Feedback from the kids was great.they both said it was the best pizza at home, and they don't hold back when it comes to pizza.

Yet, there is room for improvement. .Temp control is one. In fairness to me, this was my first cook on the E6, so I'm sure I'll learn as I use it more.

The top center of the pizza wasn't done enough. By the time the edge was burning, it was close, but not enough. I have a couple ideas and I'll need to experiment.

Thanks for the tips and suggestions and recommendations. They all helped.

Next, I need to find some semolina...

Feedback from the kids was great.they both said it was the best pizza at home, and they don't hold back when it comes to pizza.

Yet, there is room for improvement. .Temp control is one. In fairness to me, this was my first cook on the E6, so I'm sure I'll learn as I use it more.

The top center of the pizza wasn't done enough. By the time the edge was burning, it was close, but not enough. I have a couple ideas and I'll need to experiment.

Thanks for the tips and suggestions and recommendations. They all helped.

Next, I need to find some semolina...
Corti Bros has Caputo. It’s a nice fine grind like their flour.

I liked the setup, yet I need to experiment to try and improve it.

Thanks @Brett-EDH for the suggestion on the CBs with a space between them on the lower coal rack.

I liked having the cooking stone elevated. It made it easy to add oak chunks for smoke flavor.

I might have the cooking stone too close to the dome. Maybe this led to the edge cooking faster than the center.

Next time....

What a great thread! Pizzas aren't something I've ever tried on the grill but I'm inspired now.
For you pie gurus, I assume you never put raw proteins on these quick cooks (i.e. hamburger, sausage, etc.)?? Halfway cook the protein and add to pie before it goes on the grill?

What a great thread! Pizzas aren't something I've ever tried on the grill but I'm inspired now.
For you pie gurus, I assume you never put raw proteins on these quick cooks (i.e. hamburger, sausage, etc.)?? Halfway cook the protein and add to pie before it goes on the grill?

I don't put anything on a pizza that cannot be eaten without it cooking. If I'm concerned it might overcook, I'll add it first, and then bury it with cheese.

Give a grilled pizza a try. It's fun and tasty.

I par cook sausage before it goes on. Shrimp goes on raw for me, cooks up just fine in the 4-5 minutes the pizza is on. Mushrooms I will cook in advance just to get rid of some of the moisture. Most of the rest of my common ingredients don't need to be cooked (pepperoni, etc.) :)

R

What was the average time on a single pie Dan?
I like the cook, for your first time it looks great, I can't wait to get started trying this out.
So you talk about temp management......personally I have only tried to manage the E6 in the 250 range and the 300 range, so high temps I have not used on it yet.....it's been a long winter and the performer held its own....also small garage.
I see Brent when he goes for really hot sear temps, and it's impressive......what would you say you found the more ideal temp to be, and again how long did that take for the pie to cook?
Is managing that temp with the bottom vent wide open and controlling it with the top vent? Seems like that would be the best shot at controlling the temps....I find this grill cooks opposite to my performer......
Performer - top always wide open, control temps with lower vent.
E6 - ( always low temps for me so far ) - bottom vent basically closed, control heat with top vent.

Also thanks for all the tips so far, I can't get started making pies for a week or 2 still.....seriously anxious.
My buddy keeps bugging me to buy one of those pizza ovens that is specifically and only a pizza oven.
They are pretty pricey for just making pizza's, almost seems like he has buyers regret.....although it does do a good job.
He makes a thin pizza in 2 minutes or less.
I told him to just hold on and I would make him a pizza just as good on a bbq.
pic
1650894836533.png

Darryl, temps varied to much for an average, and the 3rd and 4th pies were a different dough than 1,2 and 5, 6

I was trying to see if hotter was better yet it was got too hot for 3 and 4 and the edges burned.

Rich G said at 700F, about 4.30 with his dough. Next time I'll have a more visible timer.

And, I'm just sharing what I've read from others.

Part of my personal "justification" getting the E6 was to make pizza.

I can, and have done it on the BGE, but the smaller size limits how much fuel you can load. The setup with the fire bricks allows more lump or wood to be added.

Okay Dan thanks for the tips so far.
I really have no idea but I am going to go along these sort of guidelines.....

Work for around 700 degrees hopefully....
Keep the stone from really hot direct fire.....

I also have to try raw dough vs. dough slightly cooked first in the E6.......the dough I have calls for pre cooking the shell......we will see.
That pineapple and ham char and the darker edges of the pizza is what I would say is looking very tasty, I wouldn't call it burnt at all.
How fast does the fuel go while warming the stone for an hour, did you require a lot of re loading?

I think there is more than one way to make a great pizza, and I'm positive there are many ways to make an average or poor one.

I'd say I have journeymen level skill cooking pizza in an electric oven or on my gas grill, but I'm still in apprentice mode on the E6 and will be experimenting a bit.

I want to do another cook with my same-day recipe that has a little sugar in it to see if the burned edge was temp related or dough related.

@Brett-EDH can you share the "screens" you've mentioned?

Looking at your pics again Dan.....I am always afraid that the dough won't cook all the way through, I try to make mine thinner than your raw pizza looks...I would assume yours cooked all the way through even in the middle. Just missing fresh herbs!!! Some trimmed basil and possibly blue cheese drizzle....I will try to keep quiet until I have something to contribute. :cool:

Back