Pizza help

Brandon Pilkington

TVWBB Member
I'm curious which kettle pizza option is the best one to use? I've seen people do it with bricks, I see the pizza que and kettle pizza brand inserts...curious what has worked best for everyone?

I've had a bunch of pizza stones over the years. My favorite so far is the one I currently use...Emile Henry pizza stone. Love it. On the Performer, I use bricks to raise the height. On the Genesis, I don't. That stone is a champ, imho.

I've had a bunch of pizza stones over the years. My favorite so far is the one I currently use...Emile Henry pizza stone. Love it. On the Performer, I use bricks to raise the height. On the Genesis, I don't. That stone is a champ, imho.

How many times would you say you have used it so far? Does it stain or does it clean fairly easy? How hot do you cook at with the brick method?

I started out using hard finish terra-cotta floor tiles (leftover from a kitchen floor project) which worked really well!
Next I go a deal on several Pizzaque units, have not used that yet.

Hi Brandon,

I only use it for pizzas and calzones. It does not really stain on the cooking surface, but mine is obviously well-used. I've probably used it about 100 times, maybe a bit less. Used it for both outdoor and indoor cooking. I have cracked numerous stones at high temps (like 700 degrees +). I've had this one up to probably about the same temp with zero issues at all. I would buy this product again if I had to, but I don't think I will have to. I'll try to include a pic in a moment. Last week it slipped and the handle broke off (four foot drop onto stone patio). Check out the top vs the bottom for a better view of the marks. Honestly, I adore this pizza stone.

Attachments

• pizza stone top.jpg
    pizza stone top.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 10
  • pizza stone bottom.jpg
    pizza stone bottom.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 10
Hi Brandon,

I only use it for pizzas and calzones. It does not really stain on the cooking surface, but mine is obviously well-used. I've probably used it about 100 times, maybe a bit less. Used it for both outdoor and indoor cooking. I have cracked numerous stones at high temps (like 700 degrees +). I've had this one up to probably about the same temp with zero issues at all. I would buy this product again if I had to, but I don't think I will have to. I'll try to include a pic in a moment. Last week it slipped and the handle broke off (four foot drop onto stone patio). Check out the top vs the bottom for a better view of the marks. Honestly, I adore this pizza stone.
Thanks! I'll be looking to order one of those.

Today I used this excellent heavy-duty Lodge 14" Cast-Iron Baking Pan to warm-up some "Papa John's" Pizza on our ceramic stove-top and also have used it for grilled pizza on my Weber Performer Deluxe with satisfactory results.

As I recall I bought it off Amazon.com for around forty(40) Dollars but I see that today's price is fifty(50) Dollars.

Attachments

• IMG_0110.JPG
    IMG_0110.JPG
    107 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Today I used this excellent heavy-duty Lodge 14" Cast-Iron Baking Pan to warm-up some "Papa John's" Pizza on our ceramic stove-top and also have used it for grilled pizza on my Weber Performer Deluxe with satisfactory results.

As I recall I bought it off Amazon.com for around forty(40) Dollars but I see that today's price is fifty(50) Dollars.
I am a big fan of cast iron due to the durability factor, I will definitely take a look at this as well, thanks!

On the gas and charcoal BBQ I've tried aluminum pizza pans, pizza stones, cast iron pans, cast iron griddles. It's fun to experiment.
I think my best results have been using cast iron in indirect heat charcoal BBQ for ~20+ minutes. The crust was crispy and the top was perfectly baked.

Quick tip, if you're using a pizza stone, make sure it's not unevenly heated too close to hot coals or it may crack like you see in this video:

I am also a big fan of the lodge cast iron stone.....it provides a great even cook. I have had terra cotta and they cracked after a while, though cook wise they did a fine job as well.

I have the 15" 3/4" thick Dough Joe (The Shogun). It's good, but too heavy at 24 lbs. It's a pain to to move around.

I would have gotten the 1/2" or 1/4" thick one next time.

Back