Pizza cook

I noticed we haven't seen much in the way of cook pics from the Weber gassers lately, so here's mine.

Every Sunday we do homemade pizza, which I cook in the Platinum B (2005). This time of the year I do most of my cooking on charcoal, but the heat of the Platinum is easier to get dialed in "just right". I add some wood chunks to a smoker box to give the pizza a "woodfired" taste.

Tonight, we're trying out some Hormel Cup-n-Crisp pepperoni (verdict: much better than their standard crap!) The hood temp read 475 deg, and the stone was at 640 deg when the pizza went on. This bake wasn't as successful as we're used to; I changed my mixing method, and the dough didn't have the slightly crunchy yet chewy texture (with a really puffy rim) we like. It wasn't bad, just not as good as usual. That's why we experiment with this stuff, to find out what works — right??

pepperoni-pizza.jpg

Last edited:
I noticed we haven't seen much in the way of cook pics from the Weber gassers lately, so here's mine.

Every Sunday we do homemade pizza, which I cook in the Platinum B (2005). This time of the year I do most of my cooking on charcoal, but the heat of the Platinum is easier to get dialed in "just right". I add some wood chunks to a smoker box to give the pizza a "woodfired" taste.

Tonight, we're trying out some Hormel Cup-n-Crisp pepperoni (verdict: much better than their standard crap!) The hood temp read 475 deg, and the stone was at 640 deg when the pizza went on. This bake wasn't as successful as we're used to; I changed my mixing method, and the dough didn't have the slightly crunchy yet chewy texture (with a really puffy rim) we like. It wasn't bad, just not as good as usual. That's why we experiment with this stuff, to find out what works — right??

View attachment 41849
You are correct, sir. Looks great! I need to make one soon. Thanks for posting.

View attachment 41849
My gasser is in sleep mode. Idk how to awake it.

View attachment 41849
Still better than store bought. Prefer veggies over meat pie when you send the invite 😂

My gasser is in sleep mode. Idk how to awake it.
Other than pizza, I've actually found a really good use for it: when I'm cooking multiple things on the E6 (like meat and veggies), I need a place to quickly put the stuff I'm taking off the grill. Since it's cold and rainy, I can't have a dish or pan sitting in the open — it gets cold, and then the food does. So I turn the rear burner of the Platinum to low and put a Pyrex baking dish in there to warm up. As food comes off the E6, I toss it into the dish in the Platinum. When I'm done, everything is still warm but hasn't continued to cook. Works like a charm.

It looks really good I for one am a huge fan of "how to cook awesome food" threads!

I'd be very interested in learning how to make the dough you describe, although I do know that some folks don't give that kind of information out so if you don't want to that's no big deal either. I remember my own experiments with pizza dough many years ago, it's very tricky what with yeast and all of that. But when you get it right, man it is so good!

Coincidentally, we just watched a whole special about Lee Harvey Oswald last night, fascinating stuff. Now he was some sort of commie!

Been awhile since I've made a pizza on the grill, actually it's been a while since I've made anything on a grill. Don't do the cold well.
We do use out Ng E320 as a second oven especially in the summer. Great as you said as a warming oven and doesn't heat up the house.

I am in the non pepperoni crowd. Love it uncooked but the smell on a pizza turns my stomach (go figure). Would rather have veggies than pepperoni all day. BUT, I do love a good sausage or prosciutto or Pancetta pizza. Though I will say if I use sausage I grill it first and cook it near fully. Than slice it up and put on pizza. But primarily for 2 reasons. 1. I don't like all the extra fat 2. my Za's tend to cook so fast on my Wolf sausage would never cook

It looks really good I for one am a huge fan of "how to cook awesome food" threads!

I'd be very interested in learning how to make the dough you describe, although I do know that some folks don't give that kind of information out so if you don't want to that's no big deal either. I remember my own experiments with pizza dough many years ago, it's very tricky what with yeast and all of that. But when you get it right, man it is so good!

Coincidentally, we just watched a whole special about Lee Harvey Oswald last night, fascinating stuff. Now he was some sort of commie!
Well, I got the basic recipe from someone here and then tweaked it a little, so it's not much of a secret!

New York Style (More or Less) Pizza Crust
Makes: enough for two 12- to 14-inch pizzas.

Ingredients
3 dipped and leveled cups all-purpose flour (I use Bob's Red Mill Unbleached White)
½ teaspoon INSTANT dry yeast
1¼ teaspoons fine sea salt
1 teaspoon sugar
1¼ cups (296 grams) lukewarm water
1½ teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil

Instructions
In a food processor: Combine the flour, yeast, salt, and sugar. Pulse a few times to mix everything together, then pour in the water. Process until the dough comes together in a ball, then keep processing for 30 seconds. Add olive oil, mix until incorporated.

By hand: Stir the dry ingredients with a wooden spoon or dough whisk, then pour in the water and oil and mix until the dough comes together and all of the flour is incorporated. Knead for about 7 minutes before forming into a ball.

Mixer: unless you have an "S"-style (spiral) dough hook, don't bother. If you do, mix until the ball comes together, then let the machine knead the dough for 2 minutes.

Scrape the dough onto a floured countertop. Flip and knead a few times until you’ve got a smooth, slightly tacky ball that doesn’t stick to your hands.

Divide the dough; shape each piece of dough into a smooth ball, and place each ball in a separate airtight container that's been lightly oiled. Refrigerate for 24 to 72 hours. Can also be frozen before it starts to rise.

When needed, remove from the refrigerator and let warm for at least 2 hours. Allow the dough ball to fall naturally from the container onto a floured board, and gently shape the dough into a pie shape starting from the center and working outward. Do not over-work the dough or it will start to "spring back" when trying to shape it. If this happens, let it sit undisturbed for 10-15 minutes and try again.

NOTE: Measure the water very carefully! Bread flour gives a tougher, chewier dough that has very strong gluten strands; much harder to work.

(This is a very stable, predictable recipe. When I follow my own instructions, it's extremely repeatable — perfect crust every time I've made it.)

Last edited:
Well, I got the basic recipe from someone here and then tweaked it a little, so it's not much of a secret!

New York Style (More or Less) Pizza Crust
Makes: enough for two 12- to 14-inch pizzas.

Ingredients
3 dipped and leveled cups all-purpose flour (I use Bob's Red Mill Unbleached White)
½ teaspoon INSTANT dry yeast
1¼ teaspoons fine sea salt
1 teaspoon sugar
1¼ cups (296 grams) lukewarm water
1½ teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil

Instructions
In a food processor: Combine the flour, yeast, salt, and sugar. Pulse a few times to mix everything together, then pour in the water. Process until the dough comes together in a ball, then keep processing for 30 seconds. Add olive oil, mix until incorporated.

By hand: Stir the dry ingredients with a wooden spoon or dough whisk, then pour in the water and oil and mix until the dough comes together and all of the flour is incorporated.

Mixer: unless you have an "S"-style (spiral) dough hook, don't bother. If you do, mix until the ball comes together, then let the machine knead the dough for 2 minutes.

Scrape the dough onto a floured countertop. Flip and knead a few times until you’ve got a smooth, slightly tacky ball that doesn’t stick to your hands.

Divide the dough; shape each piece of dough into a smooth ball, and place each ball in a separate airtight container that's been lightly oiled. Refrigerate for 24 to 72 hours. Can also be frozen before it starts to rise.

When needed, remove from the refrigerator and let warm for at least 2 hours. Allow the dough ball to fall naturally from the container onto a floured board, and gently shape the dough into a pie shape starting from the center and working outward. Do not over-work the dough or it will start to "spring back" when trying to shape it. If this happens, let it sit undisturbed for 10-15 minutes and try again.

NOTE: Measure the water very carefully! Bread flour gives a tougher, chewier dough that has very strong gluten strands; much harder to work.

(This is a very stable, predictable recipe. When I follow my own instructions, it's extremely repeatable — perfect crust every time I've made it.)
Love it! I'm going back into this rabbit hole. Thank you so much!

I'm heading over to the restaurant store for dough pans lol. We have one very nearby, and for six bucks I will have the correct containers for the fridge. My wife loves this stuff!

Edit: Dough in pans in the fridge. I'm going to use the oven for this I think tomorrow, I'll have to make two small pies like that so I guess I'll have to go get a peeler too lol. Thanks!

Last edited:
OK, the dough is out of the refrigerator.

Grant, I like these cook threads. Makes me make new stuff. I'll put up some pictures later!

Hahaha. Here's what happened:

When I was trying to load the pizzas onto the stones in the oven, my herky jerky motion to slide them off actually dumped a bunch of cheese and sauce onto the stones. There was. A LOT. Of smoke in the house. The oven was easily at 550 degrees for 30 minutes before I put the pies on. ALL the smoke detectors went off in the house. Wife loves that kind of fun and games! Long winded way of saying, I did not get any pictures. I was instead doing a lot of PR to wife and stepdaughters about the virtues of testing smoke detectors, and our fortunate situation to be able to test mostly all of them at the same time like that. The good news is that this PR campaign culminated in an agreement that future pizza cooks should take place outside on the grill. The other good news is that the smoke detectors are working great! My family was so overjoyed by my sudden test of them that they barely even opened a lot of windows in the house to get rid of the smoke! They also hardly even frowned a lot and covered their ears while opening and closing doors to create wind! Their delight and sheer joy at the smoke detector test was so apparent that we didn't even spend a lot, and I mean a LOT of time talking about the smoke detectors during dinner! I'm thinking about doing more sudden, unexpected smoke detector testing in the house because of what a huge hit it was last night! Even right before bedtime, my wife looked into my eyes and lovingly whispered, barely audibly, "If you set those f*cking smoke detectors off again like that I'll kill you while you sleep", which is her way of saying thank you. I recommend that you all suddenly, unexpectedly test your smoke detectors too, it doesn't matter when just make it a surprise!

While I didn't catch any pictures of the pizzas, I will see your Smails, and raise you a Spicoli. This is almost exactly what the inside of the house looked like:

Hahaha. Here's what happened:

When I was trying to load the pizzas onto the stones in the oven, my herky jerky motion to slide them off actually dumped a bunch of cheese and sauce onto the stones. There was. A LOT. Of smoke in the house. The oven was easily at 550 degrees for 30 minutes before I put the pies on. ALL the smoke detectors went off in the house. Wife loves that kind of fun and games! Long winded way of saying, I did not get any pictures. I was instead doing a lot of PR to wife and stepdaughters about the virtues of testing smoke detectors, and our fortunate situation to be able to test mostly all of them at the same time like that. The good news is that this PR campaign culminated in an agreement that future pizza cooks should take place outside on the grill. The other good news is that the smoke detectors are working great! My family was so overjoyed by my sudden test of them that they barely even opened a lot of windows in the house to get rid of the smoke! They also hardly even frowned a lot and covered their ears while opening and closing doors to create wind! Their delight and sheer joy at the smoke detector test was so apparent that we didn't even spend a lot, and I mean a LOT of time talking about the smoke detectors during dinner! I'm thinking about doing more sudden, unexpected smoke detector testing in the house because of what a huge hit it was last night! Even right before bedtime, my wife looked into my eyes and lovingly whispered, barely audibly, "If you set those f*cking smoke detectors off again like that I'll kill you while you sleep", which is her way of saying thank you. I recommend that you all suddenly, unexpectedly test your smoke detectors too, it doesn't matter when just make it a surprise!

While I didn't catch any pictures of the pizzas, I will see your Smails, and raise you a Spicoli. This is almost exactly what the inside of the house looked like:

i think you have a smoke detector problem, not a pizza or cooking problem. if you haven't replaced the SMOKE DETECTOR in more than 10 years, you should give it serious consideration. like real, serious consideration.

here's your kryptonite to use against the one you now sleep with one eye open with at night. you just experienced a really bad smoke detector problem. that's all.

this: https://www.prairielectric.com/blog/how-often-should-hard-wired-smoke-detectors-be-replaced/

i think you have a smoke detector problem, not a pizza or cooking problem. if you haven't replaced the SMOKE DETECTOR in more than 10 years, you should give it serious consideration. like real, serious consideration.

here's your kryptonite to use against the one you now sleep with one eye open with at night. you just experienced a really bad smoke detector problem. that's all.

this: https://www.prairielectric.com/blog/how-often-should-hard-wired-smoke-detectors-be-replaced/
I'm not disparaging smoke detectors in any way, I was trying to be humorous. We have a lot of new smoke detectors, and for a house built in 1928 believe it or not they are hard wired. Three floors, each floor has at least one new detector, correctly wired in. I don't joke about that, especially because from time to time I find some knob and tube in unexpected places. It's mostly been replaced with Romex but still, I'd rather be safe than sorry. I even installed a CO detector close to the floor on the first floor because I put a gas fireplace in a couple years ago. Smoke detectors are on ceilings, and CO falls, so that detector is mounted correctly near the floor.

Thank you for the heads up though, and the ones we have actually do work great, there was an embarrassing amount of smoke coming out of the oven after I mishandled the pizzas like that.

Back