Pizza cook

When I was trying to load the pizzas onto the stones in the oven, my herky jerky motion to slide them off actually dumped a bunch of cheese and sauce onto the stones. There was. A LOT. Of smoke in the house.
Seriously, though...what did you use for release on the peel? I've had more problems with cornmeal; semolina flour works much better.

ALL the smoke detectors went off in the house.

I'm not sure you tested all the detectors fully. It sounds like you have a working interconnect between ALL the alarms, but you may have only tested the smoke detection function of one.

To fully test ALL detectors, you will need to smoke trigger each detector on its own, however, given the "loving" comment from your wife, that could be life threatening :D

Thanks for the story it made me laugh.

The detectors were going off like crazy, by zone compared to where the smoke was. I think a bunch of them are connected via the comm wire, but there was a mayhem like I haven't seen since the Great Lice Scare of 2016, when my wife decided to shrink my wool jacket due to the possibility that there were live (LIVE!) lice upon it. But I digress. The smoke detectors communicate enough to raise the dead, and they also appear to be non connected in some cases, as the furthest reaches of the house stopped alarming sooner than the nearest. I'll take that as a decent test, we're not required by code to have fully house connected alarms, and I can say by recent experience that enough of them are connected to alert my neighbors to any actual fire. We're just lucky I decided to test them at dinner time, and not later!

just my .02, trying to cook pizza via a gasser is an exercise in futility.
Using charcoal or wood on a kettle is def a better pie cooker. But I get pretty decent results on my gasser with the kettle pizza gas pro. Takes care of the gasser lid being too high to cook the top fast enough.

Seriously, though...what did you use for release on the peel? I've had more problems with cornmeal; semolina flour works much better.
Regular non bleached all purpose flour, same stuff the dough itself was made of. The second of the two pies was really the culprit, I think I had a break in the crust on that one which made it less slippery off the peel. Believe me, wife is detail oriented, so making something out of flour at all is an effort and a PR campaign all on its own. I had to educate her, for example, that there is NOT an option, when buying joint compound, for "dustless". She couldn't believe it!

I'm thinking preheating stone on there for a good half hour will give me some results I may remember to take pictures of.

But really, what's the fun of that? I'd have to go in the house during the cook and "test" the smoke alarms just to recreate the ambiance.

Regular non bleached all purpose flour, same stuff the dough itself was made of. The second of the two pies was really the culprit, I think I had a break in the crust on that one which made it less slippery off the peel. Believe me, wife is detail oriented, so making something out of flour at all is an effort and a PR campaign all on its own. I had to educate her, for example, that there is NOT an option, when buying joint compound, for "dustless". She couldn't believe it!
I've found with semolina that I don't have to do a launch to get it off the peel...just tilt the peel a bit, wiggle it side-to-side, and the pie slides onto the stone like a boat being launched.

The detectors were going off like crazy, by zone compared to where the smoke was. I think a bunch of them are connected via the comm wire, but there was a mayhem like I haven't seen since the Great Lice Scare of 2016, when my wife decided to shrink my wool jacket due to the possibility that there were live (LIVE!) lice upon it.
I need to visit your house. Sounds like a wild place.

Yes, but have you burned the ever loving crap out of anything recently inside the house? Best way to check your smoke detectors, and females and children love it!
I had a small Chili-On-The-Stove Incident some years ago that filled the house with smoke, stained the kitchen curtains, and destroyed my wife's favorite saucepan. The aftermath was...unpleasant.

I had a small Chili-On-The-Stove Incident some years ago that filled the house with smoke, stained the kitchen curtains, and destroyed my wife's favorite saucepan. The aftermath was...unpleasant.
I don't know why I find that so funny! Oh, and if you visit, we would definitely hang out in the garage. It's detatched, which makes it like a different address kind of.

And more easily defended

Knob and tube! Holy romex.

That would frighten me. I would lay awake with eye open in case of attack.
Yes I take smoke detectors a little too seriously. In my old apt, and in current house, I replace the batteries every six months, and buy new ones. So after a few years I have too many. That said, i need a good recommendation for gas leak detector. Cause the city and gas company are way out of whack.
And are you sure carbon monoxide is heavier?

Last edited:
I do it with take an bakes all the time. Especially in the summer when I don't want to heat up the house. I seriously doubt anyone in my family would know the difference.

For the quiet pizza grillers, I'm curious as to whether you really preheat the stone, do you preheat it for a good long while?

Then instead of smoke detectors do you just set off the car alarm outside?

I don't use a stone. Most times we do it straight on the grates. I use the Wolf with moderately high heat on the lower burners and everything it's got on the rotisserie IR burner. Comes out just like a wood fired oven.

I don't use a stone. Most times we do it straight on the grates. I use the Wolf with moderately high heat on the lower burners and everything it's got on the rotisserie IR burner. Comes out just like a wood fired oven.
Coincidentally it was a Wolf oven inside the house! But outside, I'm on a Genesis 2000, so no IR burner.

I might also try using this slab of marble I have, my buddy and I had redone a bathroom here, and part of the process was installing a shower bench. Ended up with a piece of marble for that which we cut a good foot and a half off of, I have been looking at whether you can use that for cooking and it looks like it would not be a problem. Much thicker than the pizza stones, so I may play with that as well.

When I cook pizza on a gasser I preheat the stones for about 30 + mins.

The E330 with all four burners going can get over 700F, but I preheat at around 500F or so and only use three burners. ( Left, Sear, Center )

I stack the stones and space them out using the feet from my large BGE. At cook time I'll crank up all the burners depending on who's pizza I'm cooking. One kid doesn't like a crispy top. I like a bit of burn on it. Let me see if I can dig up some pics.

I've stopped cooking pizza on my BGE because I'm the only one that enjoys the wood fire cook flavor and crispy ness, and I go through a lot of lump to get it hot enough to make it worthwhile. I can get 90% as good on the E330

20210531_200005.jpg20210531_200048.jpg

Last edited:

Back