Pizza and wings

j biesinger

TVWBB Platinum Member
I've been itching to fire up my oven, as it spent all of the polar vortex in my garage. Here's a shot of what it looked like last July. It's considerably more rusty now.

IMG_7890.JPG

I'm still playing around with my fuel configuration. This time I used a wsm ring to bank the coals around the outside of the kettle. It constricted the air flow too much and it took some stoking to get the temps up, and keep the fire from being very smokey. I have a stone on the bottom deck and once things are preheated over 550, I usually go 5-6 min on the stone and then 5-6 min on the top steel (with the lid on)

meatball and caramelized onions
IMG_3356.JPG

I make a meatball sausage, and here we sliced it frozen and precooked the discs

country ham, peas and bechamel sauce
IMG_3355.JPG

gratuitous slice shot
IMG_3358.JPG

Jim Lahey's no knead dough is my go to recipe. Super easy to make and stretches well. My goal for my next run is to make larger pies so there's a better ratio of thick crust to thinner center

It was interesting that as overall oven temps were dropping as I was cooking, the crust was coming out crisper. I was IR temping the steel, but thinking the stone might have been continuing to climb despite dropping temps
IMG_3359.JPG

can't have pizza without wings (on a gasser)
IMG_3353.JPG

Nice looking crust on that pizza. My favorite pizza place finishes their crust to the same finish as you did. And the wings look great.

That's a really cool pizza oven. I'm assuming you made that yourself? Very nice. Pizza and Wingies both look primo.

Wow, and as I view that I'm very hungry. time to fire up the kettle for carne asada tacos. Wife went out get tortillas and a couple of ripe avos. Good cook Jeff, all perfecto!

cool pizza rig- The firs thing I flashed on when I saw it was the 'Death Mobile' from Animal House :) It looks like it kicks out some tasty pizzas - As always, glorious shots too.
pbg

Thanks everyone!

That's a really cool pizza oven. I'm assuming you made that yourself? Very nice. Pizza and Wingies both look primo.

It's my designed based off of this: http://www.kettlepizza.com/Serious-Eats-KettlePizza-Special-Edition-Kit-p/kpse-22.htm

I dropped off my kettle at a shop, told them what I wanted and they fabricated for me. I keep going back in forth about whether I like the design as is or if it needs modification. I'd like a little more heat to flow over the pizza on the lower deck, but having two working levels (something that I hadn't planned for) is really cool

Back