Picked up this beauty the other day! Weber FT400

As I understand it the FT-400 & 600s, were 'made for Australia' as at time we really did not understand that a BBQ with a lid down cooking system was a means to an end. Pretty much all our 'BBQing' was over an open wood fuelled fire,(often a dual purpose back yard incinerator) with a grill if you were fancy, or a sheet of flat steel (griddle).
My father used an old plow disk which was kept in a hessian sack in the boot of the car. If you would go on a picnic, you would find somewhere on the side of the road,you would find some rocks, place them in position, the kids would be sent to gather firewood, the fire lit between the made rock 'stand', and the steel plowdisk placed on top. Usually, no one would wait for the fire to die down, so the meat and sausages would be put on well before you were at the cooking from coals stage. Mostly the meat was lamb, and lamb that was usually quite fat. The too hot fire under the grill or steel often resulted in a carbonised exterior/ still raw in the middle final product. Very often the lamb fat would drip down into the fire, resulting in massive flare ups, and the fat catching fire on the cooking plate. My fathers plow disk retained it's square hole in the middle, so the fat would drain to that, falling into the centre of the fire flames, further flaring the fire with evil smelling lamb fat smoke, and the fat on the steel would then catch fire up through the hole.
When all this was over, the plow disk would have to be cleaned/cooled to put back in the hessian sack, back in the car boot (trunk). This was acheived by dousing the hot disk with a plastic can of water also kept in the boot specifically for that purpose. Huge specular steam clouds would result. A wide paint scraper was also carried to scrape the disk down. The water would flow down through the hole in the centre of the disk, starting to extinguish the fire. A shovel was also keep in the car boot to bury the remains of the fire. (Starting bushfires is not regarded well here)
I observe with some bemusement the apparent USA facination with cooking on a 'griddle'. That was all we knew how to do. A BBQ with a lid was unknown here.
I still have my father's plow disk.

Yeah, I remember seeing them like I had written before when I would go to Bob's Ace here in Rockford. But recall always "scratching my head" wondering what they were thinking :D

Steve, That would be great, and certainly it can't hurt to try. Unfortunately, though, these old grills are pretty much orphaned. You can still get burners and flavorizer bars, and thankfully the grates are interchangeable with the older Genesis. Beyond that, you are pretty much on your own. That's sad, but thankfully - other than the firebox - these grills were built like absolute tanks. Every time I open up my similar Summit I am amazed at the "presence" and "feel" it gives compared other grills I have used. Maybe that's just me because I poured so much into restoring it as my dream grill. But their solid build does give them a better shot of lasting all this long and with some hard work being well restored for years more use.

View attachment 67693

SimonC,
I am not at all trying to generate sales, but if after you carefully look over your firebox on that flat-top and find the likely beginnings of burn-through, feel free to PM me about the stainless-steel reinforcement fix I came up with. If you have rust, and worse burn-through holes, it might make your cool old grill a SAFE one to use.

View attachment 67695

View attachment 67696

View attachment 67694
Thanks Jon! From what I could see, I couldn't find any sign of burn through just yet, but prevention might be key. Ill keep an eye on it and if i notice anything ill send you a message. Do you know if its possible to get replacement hot plates? As you can see mine has a bit of rust, but managed to sort it out with some good reseasoning.

Thanks everyone, sounds like ive picked up something pretty unique. I am based in Australia so it makes sense about the availability here, but still haven't seen one around before so Im pretty happy with it!

Well, since finding a Weber Flat Top FT-400 - at least in the United States - is like waiting for a meteor to land in your yard, here is something that I haven't seen before. Seems like they at least might have been influenced by the old Weber design:

Cabelas Flat Top 1.jpgCabelas Flat Top 2.jpg
Cabelas Flat Top 3.jpg

The Camp Chef FTG-600 has the same griddle over grates concept. I’ve had mine for 6+ years now and admittedly have never cooked on the grill feature since I have assorted Webers for such things. Watchng people continue to buy inferior made Blackstone griddles instead of the Camp Chef offerings is a testament to the Blackstone marketing program and nothing more.B9F9261C-60D6-447A-9C41-A5A1F6E98369.jpeg

Attachments

• 82C31ED4-3FFD-46F7-B253-33C086B30FFC.jpeg
    82C31ED4-3FFD-46F7-B253-33C086B30FFC.jpeg
    213 KB · Views: 7
  • B213CA2D-8D51-4FE8-A5EA-A19232367682.jpeg
    B213CA2D-8D51-4FE8-A5EA-A19232367682.jpeg
    255.2 KB · Views: 6
  • E644C409-ACC0-4997-85FF-09CD2C3FFF34.jpeg
    E644C409-ACC0-4997-85FF-09CD2C3FFF34.jpeg
    248.1 KB · Views: 7
Blackstone at least had that at one time, too. Maybe still do. What caught my eye about this one - at least as being more like the Weber Flat Top - are the fold-down covers/trays. When all closed up, it looks a lot like the old Weber.

I will fully admit I got the Blackstone based primarily off of name recognition. Also preferred the black over some other offerings.

It cooks and cooks great. But other than the griddle top, it’s junk.

It’s actually not all that far from him. The seller “knows what he’s got” and it looks to be in decent shape so no flip potential.

That is about about 150 miles from me. I do see it has been listed for 9 weeks, so maybe the guy would be open to an offer. However, I am not sure I would want to take that on. Any missing, broken or worn out parts would be impossible to source and I just have no idea of the possible pitfalls. Then, being such an odd ball, you would have to advertise that thing over a much wider range to find that one Weber collector that really wants one.

Yeah, while it may be a kind of cool thing, it is still prone to all the regular Summit pitfalls, and unless someone wanted to keep it, then trying to flip it is hard. Like with myself, I am sure when Bruce (or others) do a flip, the customer coming to them is not looking for these "oddballs" no matter how cool it might be.
I have come across the same thing, with oddball colors/finishes on the KitchenAids. There are some I just cannot move no matter how good a machine it is. So I sit on them and hope to at least break even

They are cool and for a collector it may be worth it, but from a practical point of view I just don't see the point of a grill without a lid.

I think I did read somewhere that those flat tops use the same cook box design as the regular Summit grills. If so, that would be a big vote on "Pass" for me. I might drive the 150 miles and pick it up if it was FREE, but I wouldn't risk the $300 out of pocket cash to get it for sure.

They are cool and for a collector it may be worth it, but from a practical point of view I just don't see the point of a grill without a lid.
Oh, I think there are uses for one. Lots of grilling is done without cover. Traditionally, all grilling was done without cover and still today grilling over a camp fire is that way. I have seen some specialized restaraunts using open grills. It is purely direct heat cooking and in some instances, that is the preferred method. I just think it is a bit specialized and not real versatile. It very much limits the types of foods you would cook on them. I can't imagine you could do anything like ribs or brisket and have it come out good.

Unless the flat top has more BTU's than a regular Summit, then you could simply leave the lid open on the Summit and get the same results. So, there is little need for a flat top aside from the cool factor.

Although I thought from the map that this one was closer to Bruce, I am not interested. For one thing, I was recently there at Bruce’s where we just finished a major parts swap that took a year and a half to make happen. Another road trip like that won’t happen for a while. More importantly, I have a line on one of these Flat Tops that will take until January to come to fruition as a nearby pickup. Price a good bit lower, too.

I suppose the “cool” factor is the only thing I can offer as to why I want one of these. I know I could just cook with my virtually the same 1st generation Summit with the hood open - or even go a little crazy and remove the hood - but it just wouldn’t be the same.

I guess I like the primal feeling it exudes and the possibility of occasionally going back to grilling like my Dad did on weekend afternoons using his Hibachi. The rest of the time, the Flat Top just LOOKS so cool with the innovative sliding tables closed.😎

I agreed that it will bring the 1st gen Summit issues with the firebox, but so far my stainless reinforcements seem to be working well to remedy that design flaw.

Jon, I have to wonder if maybe the BTU output on the flat top is maybe a bit higher than a regular Summit.

Back