Picked up my first weber tonight!

A Silver/Gold/Platinum B or C grill will have 5 bars. A genesis 1000-5000 will have the 13 bars. But, if I were you, I would ditch the frame you have and go with a different grill that has an intact or mostly intact frame. I have a bunch of cook boxes, side tables, wire racks, knobs, control panels, wheels, etc..... from grills that I have acquired and wound up parting out due to a trashed frame. The frame is the hardest part to replace on a grill. That is where you should start. Find a grill with a solid frame and go from there. Your current lid will transfer to nearly any Weber Genesis from 1990 on up to about 2005.

I guess what i was asking is. If it's a 3 burner Genesis of a similar vintage, does it mean it will have 13 bars vs the 5?

There are 3-4 within reasonable driving distance that are under $80. Obviously none are a platinum. But if I can repair the frame, is it reasonable to assume I could find a cheap grill for the cook box?

Yes, any older Genesis as Bruce described with a 13-bar firebox will fit in your Platinum (actually originally a Summit) frame.

Whether it is worthwhile to fix that frame depends on how committed you are to that design and your budget both in terms of money and time & effort. Looks like significant replacement frame pieces and a lot of work. Bruce is totally right that the frame is the critical component. If it is off kilter or rickety, your grill won’t be enjoyable to use.

A Silver/Gold/Platinum B or C grill will have 5 bars. A genesis 1000-5000 will have the 13 bars. But, if I were you, I would ditch the frame you have and go with a different grill that has an intact or mostly intact frame. I have a bunch of cook boxes, side tables, wire racks, knobs, control panels, wheels, etc..... from grills that I have acquired and wound up parting out due to a trashed frame. The frame is the hardest part to replace on a grill. That is where you should start. Find a grill with a solid frame and go from there. Your current lid will transfer to nearly any Weber Genesis from 1990 on up to about 2005.

Yup. I made what I imagine is the typical newbie mistake of spending money to repair a frame in poor condition on my Genesis Silver B.

Now, having been a member here for a couple of months and watching Craig's List the game has changed to knowing which grills to pick up and which to ignore. All the parts you need will come to you eventually as there's always another free grill. It's a game of perpetual upgrades.

Well I spent the afternoon repairing the frame, cleaning the parts. Total spent so far is basically a few hours. I've decided to take some 2x4 rip it down to for inside the large tubes of the vertical legs. So I tapped these in after sanding and grinding as much junk as I could. Followed by a heavy spray of rust converter paint. I've decided to repair the lower cross bar with a piece of maple butcher block ripped to width and reinforced with a piece of aluminum angle stock.

Also used purprle degreaser to clean the frame and scour it for a coat of gloss or satin black... Haven't decided yet.

In other disappointing news I missed out on a brand new cook box for this grill on Craigslist. Told the guy I was going to attempt to fix the frame and get back to him. During that time someone snagged it.

Progress today:

DTKmB6E.jpg

29Iklki.jpg

Y3dVJEq.jpg

Last edited:
For the regular square frame tubing, you can readily purchase pieces at Lowes of Home Depot and cut to length. Then use the connectors to bolt them in. Seems easier and more original than using wood and aluminum.

The double-width vertical frame pieces are probably a tougher thing to find, so maybe improvising as you already are is the best plan.

Yeah I can't Find 2-1/2" 1-1/4" Rectagular tubing. so I figured this would back whats there. I've been going back and forth on the bottom cross piece, Frustration set in with home depot. yet again, they are inevitably sold out of what I need ( 1-1/4" Square tube.)

I need to find a set of those leveling threaded nuts for 1-1/4 tubing if I am going to go that route. between those and a bracket or two, i'm sure the grill will be plenty sturdy.

I guess since this one is so rough i'll try to do it cheap as I can and hopefully eventually find something a little nicer to restore. Or better yet another one of what I have, because I really like the size of it and the work tables.

Its not pretty, but it will do the trick I think.

So I found a place to order the right dimension rectangular tube stock to replace the leg that was rusted through I was able to clean up the top tube rust, its pitted but functional, more important I can retain the top tabs. I could completely rebuild the frame for about $80 all in for the tube stock and hardware. But I would lose the existing tabs.

Unfortunately the cook box is still not in the best shape, and the blue lid has some of that white sport hazing. Purple Power Orange cleaner and 0000 steel wool has it looking decent but far from perfect. i found another Genesis, wood handles, black lid, with the larger cookbox for 13 flavor bars. I'm tempted to go pick it up for $50, hopefully the box will be better.

I also picked up a Weber Genesis Silver... b/c on the side of the road for free but yet again the frame is all rickety, solution is to order more of those inserts to replace the rusted ones with new bolts. Cross member is rusted and needs to be repaired. The grill was disgusting, and the guy spray painted the whole top with satin black high heat spray paint. Paint was all over the control knob plate and on the plastic for the side work tables, he even sprayed the lid handle.

No pictures of this one though, I basically took it apart as soon as I got it so the frame didn't apart and drop the cook box on someone or something. Was hoping to flip this one to pay for the Platinum parts... But after all the cleaning and the full set of internals + igniter, I don't see any money in it. Not to mention its at the end of the season.

What do you guys usually sell them for? what do you aim for for "profit" after parts?

Thanks!

$80 to repair a bad frame is not a good investment in my opinion. The better option is to find a better frame. It may take some time, but one will pop up. It might have the better cook box as well.

$80 to repair a bad frame is not a good investment in my opinion. The better option is to find a better frame. It may take some time, but one will pop up. It might have the better cook box as well.

Well I was planning to repair the lower cross member and 2 of the bars to connect the front and rear frames together, I was already at $27, the additional piece of tubing is another $20. For a grill i got for free, and not needing burners, heatshields or grates right away, I thought I was doing OK. Maybe that $50 grill is something I should jump on.

Bruce,

For the cook box hole repair, you mentioned using high temp JB weld somewhere I think, did you use the 550 Deg stuff or the "extreme high temp" that mixes together? I didn't think the "high temp" would be enough considering it will be right near the flame from the burner tube. The extreme high temp stuff is mixed together in one container and applied like a paste, but its supposed to be good to 2000 deg. It seems like the high temp stuff would be easier to repair with, but might not hold up.

Last edited:
Well I was planning to repair the lower cross member and 2 of the bars to connect the front and rear frames together, I was already at $27, the additional piece of tubing is another $20. For a grill i got for free, and not needing burners, heatshields or grates right away, I thought I was doing OK. Maybe that $50 grill is something I should jump on.

Bruce,

For the cook box hole repair, you mentioned using high temp JB weld somewhere I think, did you use the 550 Deg stuff or the "extreme high temp" that mixes together? I didn't think the "high temp" would be enough considering it will be right near the flame from the burner tube. The extreme high temp stuff is mixed together in one container and applied like a paste, but its supposed to be good to 2000 deg. It seems like the high temp stuff would be easier to repair with, but might not hold up.

For a functional grill you're doing fine, cost wise.

I spent $64.00 to get my first Silver B going but if I had waited for a couple more parts grills to come along that would have been close to $0. Everybody does this, I think, because you don't know what you don't know with your first grill.

Now I've become a grill collector I'm pretty sure I have a good cookbox you could have free to replace yours if you don't want to repair it btw. Would just have to check with the experts it will swap over.

Last edited:
Bruce,

Definitely go with the extreme high heat stuff. Keep in mind that while it comes in a nice little re-closeable container, if you come back a couple months later, that stuff will be hard as a rock. It is basically a one time use product.

Rich,
For the initial investment cost, you have a pretty cool “learner” project, a few things to practice on, some interesting skills to learn as well as what to look out for next go round.
I got pretty lucky, spent too much for a silver B with a damaged firebox and some other slight problems but, the blood hood was in great shape.
My next one was a maroon Genny 2000 that was sound but needed some love and new parts (the guy NEVER cleaned it)
Third was a donor piece which has game some worthless parts and a few worthwhile pieces of “inventory for the next find.
It can become quite an addiction, pace yourself! And the good folks here have helped me with every step of the path!

Thanks for the comments guys.

Since I posted this Blue One, i've picked up a free genesis Silver B with a frame in rough but repairable condition, the left side thermoset end is cracked, but I think epoxy will fix that. previous owner sprayed black heat paint over everything. That is totally disassembled working on cleaning it up.

Then while looking for a better cook box I found a red genesis 1000, i think? Unfortunately it's been modified with newer weber parts, but it has an intact lower basket and the durawood slats are all there. Needs to be cleaned up to make sure, but the cookbox looks like a good replacement other than one of the burner alignment screws being busted off.

WcwKoac.jpg

Dzs5eyl.jpg

A couple questions:

Do both the 1000-5000 series and the Silver firebox screw for the frame on the left side just slide through the cook box and thread with a nut? or do they thread into the cook box?

All 3 have seriously bad rot on the l cross member and as a result all 3 have rusted out or broken bolts holding the cookbox in place. Should I Be able to soak these with PB blaster and tap them out? or should I drill them out? All 3 are impossible to tell what's holding the bolt on the inside because its in such bad shape.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Both grills attach with bolt and nut. Sometimes the bolt can get frozen in the cook Box.
If they get frozen in the cook box, You should try to soak them with PB blaster and then tap them out but be careful or you could crack the cook Box. If that doesn't work you will have to drill it out

By the way that red lid with the thermometer in the middle of the lid is not Original. That their mometer should be on the side somebody moved it over

Yeah, it is disappointing he did that, he took that one off of a weber at a town recycle center instead of just getting a new one. The red lid is in pretty good shape otherwise. I paid $20 for the whole thing, mostly for the cookbox. Its probably the best frame of the 3, even with the rusted out cross member.

The thermometer looks so weird on it, I think its crooked too.

Well, the genesis 1000 with red lid's frame has rust holes against the cook box, and one of the lower cross members needs the threaded insert fix, so does the cook box mount section of the frame. The Silver b frame is a rickety mess, and while the tubing is solid all the tab locations are rusted and pulling from the tubing. I'm ready to send this pile to the scrap heap. I really thought the last one was decent.

I wanted to end up with 2 webers, one to use now for my deck while i'm fixing up the platinum that will live out on the patio. I suppose ill have to keep trying. I had hoped one would be an easy fix to flip to help pay for some of the parts for the other 2. But no such luck.

Win some, loose some. I have all kinds of parts laying around my garage from grills that had frames that were not salvageable. The frame is the back bone of any grill rebuild. If you are looking to rebuild a weber, start with the frame.

I agree with Bruce. I got in average maybe about 2 grills out of every 3-4 grills. Sometimes the frame is toast, sometimes the firebox is toast and sometimes the lid is toast. Keep the parts which are good and wait for another donor grill.

Yah, if I had three or four good, bare Silver B frames and cook boxes right now, I am sure I could put together that many complete silver B grills with my spare parts. Maybe more.

Back