Picked up my first weber tonight!

Well, I decided to fix up the silver for me, the fire box had the least amount of rusted screws to drill out (only the one that attached the box to the frame).

I repaired the cross member, took parts from the red genesis 1000 grill above after making a stupid mistake. (in a moment of frustration, I cut up the top members of the silver frame to make extra cross brace pieces.) Then I cleaned up the rust as much as i could, some angle brackets to brace the corners and gave it a quick coat of paint, painted the cook box exterior and installed some inexpensive burners and heat shields from Amazon.

here is where I am so far, not too bad, and far from perfect, but it should work until i figure out a better grill

GLvnA2y.jpg

o8cDbBp.jpg

vIA3uIN.jpg

Still have to:

Repair the plastic end pieces and paint them satin black, they were poorly painted and I can't get all the paint off.

Paint & install tank brace and level indicator

Then decide which lid I want to use red or black, clean it up and install.

Couple of questions:

I also painted the valve manifold, so I want to do a leak check on the valves against the manifold, is there a place to buy the red gaskets that go between the valve body and the manifold, or should I be OK with what I had?

I re-used some stamped SS grates. Not sure of manufacturer on them, but i soaked them in oven cleaner and scrubbed them but they're still kind of nasty, any tips on getting them extra clean before use?

Last edited:
I think you are doing just fine. On those stamped stainless grates, my opinion is that you have probably done about what you can with them. They usually don’t clean up super well “stainless” name not withstanding.

You might want to look at my recent post ”stainless grate throw down results.” I looked at many of the popular stainless rod grate options out there. I would use what you have until one of those stainless rod grates makes sense to you from a cost benefit perspective. They are way easier to maintain.

I think you are doing just fine. On those stamped stainless grates, my opinion is that you have probably done about what you can with them. They usually don’t clean up super well “stainless” name not withstanding.

You might want to look at my recent post ”stainless grate throw down results.” I looked at many of the popular stainless rod grate options out there. I would use what you have until one of those stainless rod grates makes sense to you from a cost benefit perspective. They are way easier to maintain.

Thanks, I read that thread, good info, I'll refer to it if and when when I get the Platinum going!

This Silver B grill was the most direct route to a complete one. This is in an effort to clean out the garage and get a grill for grilling on the deck this winter. I didn't want to spend a ton. If I end up liking it enough i'll probably upgrade the grates. I intend to spend a bit more on the Platinum I initially picked up, and possibly sell this one in the spring.

Yah, use those grates until the fall apart, then I highly suggest some of the solid rod grates that Jon reviewed. Just pick the ones that fit your needs and budget.

work is continuing on the grill but i scratched the lid! I was cleaning off the spray paint that was on it and i must have used too much force, because after i got it all cleaned up, rinsed and dried there are all kinds of swirl marks in the lid and a lot of scratches around the badge.

Based on what I've read i'm fairly certain of the answer, but is there any way to buff out these scratches? or am I stuck with it? Im not doing so well with my quest to get an old weber up and running for myself so far.

Rich: How did you clean off the spray paint" It is really kind of hard to scratch the lids unless you are using some industrial kitchen type steel wool or something like that. But if you just used #0000 or even #0 steel wool, I doubt the scratches are from you.

I used the #0000 steel wool to finish but also used some sort of metallic pan scrubber and a green 3m scrub pad. I used purple power orange degreaser to keep it wet while i was cleaning the lid off. I used find Emory cloth on some tough spots inside the lid on the edges and that didn't even seem to scratch it, I didn't use it outside though just in case. So I don't know, I just didn't think they were there initially but maybe there was more paint than I thought before I got to cleaning it off last night. Kind of a bummer, I spent a lot of time cleaning the inside and the side covers.

I assume my options are to live with it or use one of my other lids right? Just goes with the theme of this grill, kind of a junker, but I was hoping to sell it in the spring, the scratched lid puts a damper on that i bet.

I probably should have focused on the red 1000. Can I use the side panels for the silver B that are cleaned up and ready for paint with the Red 1000 lid I have?

VTplAX6.jpg

hDbtu3Q.jpg

Last edited:
Sadly those green scrubbers are the single most destructive thing I have ever seen. How plastic can ruin porcelain and not steel wool is beyond me. But believe me I know as well from personal experience they will totally ruin a lid. Sadly there is no way to recover what you have done. Either live with it or find a donor lid

Yah, I would suspect the green scrubby as well. If it was one of those genuine 3M ones and it was new, that could very well be the culprit. But, I would simply wait around for a donor grill to pop up and grab a new hood. A lid from virtually any Genesis three burner built before 2006 should fit that grill so there are plenty of them out there.

Just use what you have for now and keep your eyes peeled. This is the time of year that a lot of people buy grills on clearance just want the old one gone so they don't have to deal with it over the winter.

Oh, by the way, those WEBER emblems come off the lids pretty easily. THey are held on by a couple little clips which are easily removed. I use a chisel to pry the up and off. It makes cleaning up the lid a lot easier and then you can refurbish the emblem as well.

Last edited:
lesson learned. I figured those would be great for that purpose.

These are what I used, it nicely dulled the gloss finish on the frames, I figured the porcelain was tougher than the coating on the frame. My mistake. I've never really used them boefre I just figured they were like the sponge tops.

3M Pad

I haven't found many reasonable options for donor grills, lots of 1000's that appear to have frame issues for $50+. Since I don't really intend to flip these things, an abundance of parts I have no place to store isn't an option. Haha.

I initially thought it wouldn't be too much effort to flip a few, but the ones i've picked up aren't in the best of shape and i've spent way longer than i thought would necessary fixing this silver.

Last edited:
Well, here it is, nothing special. Mostly lipstick on a pig, ready to fire it up and adjust the valves after I leak check it - Genesis Silver B.

Had to repair the left side end cap that holds the table on... JB weld's Plastic Bond is some seriously good stuff, it needed some "coaxing" to slide back in to the tubes, and it appears to be holding very strong. Satin black on the ends and lid handle are because I just couldn't get all the old spray paint off. Might paint the Burner knobs to match as well.

New Burners and heat shields, was able to reuse an igniter from one of the 3 grills i've acquired.

I Intended to spend a lot more time sanding the lid end caps, but since the lid is toast, i just knocked the crap off best i could and hit them with semi gloss Ultra high heat.

i was gifted a Pit Boss Pellet Smoker/Grill that will end up on the deck where this was supposed to live. Not sure what I can do with it, probably not worthy of resale. gensis Platinum is going to be out on the pation near the fire pit eventually, so I guess there for the time being. Do you guys recommend a cover brand that is reasonably (or cheaply) priced?

vABeQvy.jpg

SUrE0Yf.jpg

3oshgeX.jpg

Honestly the only reason I use a cover is to keep snow and ice off. Otherwise they're useless IMO

Well, they do also help reduce fading from the relentless sun here, and I think maybe protect from wind-driven salt air.

Well porcelain is impervious to salt air and if anything the cover would trap that salt laden moisture. Other than snow/ice and helping ward off fading there is no real use for them

Back