Picked up 3 Bags of Cabela's Pellets

Lew Newby

R.I.P. 1/26/2024
I'm happy with the B&B Championship Blend pellets that I've been using but want to try Cabela's. They're made by Lumber Jack in the same facility where the Weber pellets are made so they're the smaller size pellets and they're $9.99/20 lb. bag. Cabela's offers free shipping on orders over $50 and I really like having them delivered. Today we drove out to the Bass Pro Shops in Daytona Beach and I got 2 bags of Cherry and one bag of the Competition blend. My plan is to mix some Cherry in with the blend and see if we like it. Why would I switch to a more expensive pellet if I like what I'm using? If we like the flavor of these there's a possibility that I will further decrease my chances of pellet bridging in the hopper. A lot of people say that the smaller pellets have less bridging. I have taken every measure I can to improve pellet flow in my Smokefires and this covers the final variable. I don't have a bridging problem but I want to reduce the probability to as low as I can. Who's anal?:LOL: Cabela's Pellets.jpg

I'm happy with the B&B Championship Blend pellets that I've been using but want to try Cabela's. They're made by Lumber Jack in the same facility where the Weber pellets are made so they're the smaller size pellets and they're $9.99/20 lb. bag. Cabela's offers free shipping on orders over $50 and I really like having them delivered. Today we drove out to the Bass Pro Shops in Daytona Beach and I got 2 bags of Cherry and one bag of the Competition blend. My plan is to mix some Cherry in with the blend and see if we like it. Why would I switch to a more expensive pellet if I like what I'm using? If we like the flavor of these there's a possibility that I will further decrease my chances of pellet bridging in the hopper. A lot of people say that the smaller pellets have less bridging. I have taken every measure I can to improve pellet flow in my Smokefires and this covers the final variable. I don't have a bridging problem but I want to reduce the probability to as low as I can. Who's anal?:LOL: View attachment 59080
I have zilch experience on pellet grills, had to Google “pellet bridging”. Learning something new often here in this forum

Lew, I have a decent supply of Weber pellets left but I haven’t seen them on sale in a while, in fact my Lowes no longer sells them.
I have had my eye on the cabellas ever since I heard they were made by the same company.
Please keep us updated, I’m hoping they work well so I can place an order when I get low on Weber.

FWIW, I have a friend w/ a Smokefire and all he uses are Cabelas pellets. Says he's never had an issue.

We will be watching to see how it goes, Lew. We don’t have a Cabela’s nearby, and our Rural Kong switched from Lumberjack to their own house brand. The latter doesn’t get great reviews. Like Bruno, my Lowes ditched all their SmokeFire stuff. They now carry Bear Mountain which seems decent, though I would prefer Lumberjack. We also have a Tractor Supply that sells Bear Mountain including some varieties-especially Apple that Lowes doesn’t.

Finally, I have started experimenting with Knotty Wood and Kingsford. Too early to say what I think other than they are both very good. Knotty Wood is very pricey but sometimes is on sale at Home Depot.

Oh yeah, with so many new brands, it is getting hard to keep up. One that has been around but has no retail space that I know if is SmokinPellets.com. They make excellent pellets in my opinion.

My 74 year old palate can't tell much difference between all the different brands and types of pellets my Camp Chef ingests. Although my favorite mix is the one I dump all of my leftover pellets in. I call it my mutt mix a compilation of many brands and flavors. I get a mice smoke ring and a nice mellow smoke flavor. Works for me. :giggle:

I started out buying 3 bags of this (mostly because it's a blend and it was convenient). https://www.samsclub.com/p/premium-...se-blend-40lbs/prod22631792?xid=plp_product_3 they seem to burn well, not finding any "clinkers" in the pot and give me a good smoke taste and smoke ring. $14 for 40lbs which I thought was reasonable. Since I was a "virgin" smoker I figured it was a good place to start :D
That's exactly how I started. You haven't spent a lot of money on the grill or pellets but you're finding out if you like pellet grills.

Back