Picanha - Fat Cap = New York Strip...Right?

Michael Richards

TVWBB Emerald Member
Got a beautiful Picanha, cut it into 4 steaks.
IMG_20220129_081653046.jpg

IMG_20220129_081707601.jpg

I removed the fat cut on 3 of the 4 steaks per my family members request. You can tell my steak there on the center-left. This is when my mother-in-law asked as I removed the fat cap of her nice center-right piece, "It's a New York Strip now right?", To which I said, "No still a Picanha" what I didn't say... That you guys had me remove the best part of.
IMG_20220129_154649717.jpg

Reverse seared using jealous devil lump. First time ever using the charcoal. I really like it, it seared the steaks quick, evenly, delivering a end to end red middle, with a great crust. Sorry, I didn't get any live action shots. I think the 15 degree weather influenced that some, but here they are resting in reverse order from the previous picture.
IMG_20220129_164734671.jpg

Plated. It was so freaked good!
IMG_20220129_165646258.jpg

Family members were really happy with there steaks also. My daughter, who first asked to have the fat cap removed, thanked me over and over for removing it. So best of both worlds, I got to make my family happy while still having a center cut thick Picanha steak with fat cap intact for myself.

Great looking dinner.

You’ll like the JD XL more when you clean up it’s almost nonexistent ashes. I’ve come to really love JD XL. It’s flavor, heat, longevity and clean profile all have made it my goto fuel source.

I’d say enjoy your leftovers but I doubt you have any 🤣

Kids are cute, huh, Michael? :) You're raising them right, though, with all the grilling you have them hooked on. The class where you teach them the finer points of the difference between NY Strip and Picanha can come later! :)

Nice cook, bud!

R

Very nice plate! When I tried Picanha last year I butchered it, and not in the way some of your fam requested. It's on my list to try again, with success this time. And, like you, my peeps get their food the way they want it :)

Great looking dinner.

You’ll like the JD XL more when you clean up it’s almost nonexistent ashes. I’ve come to really love JD XL. It’s flavor, heat, longevity and clean profile all have made it my goto fuel source.

I’d say enjoy your leftovers but I doubt you have any 🤣
Yeah, it was a pleasant surprise when I walked into my local bbq store on Thursday and they had Jealous Devil XL after only ever carrying Royal Oak lump and Chef's Select. They said the are no longer going to carry Royal Oat lump. What I really went in for was Oakridge Canre Crosta (it's one of the few store bought rubs I keep in my arsenal) for these steaks, but they didn't have it. They said they are not carrying Oakridge products any more. They said people hate the bags. So Amazon to the rescue, and I got it for a great deal.
Having a local source for JD XL is a game changer!

Last edited:
wow, those look amazing! I had to google the cut... Never heard it called that -beautiful plate for sure....
My best friend is Brazilian and introduced me to this cut. That is Brazilian rice on the plate also, recipe taught to me by his family. I would say this recipe is close. After dinner we had a soccer game where he and I coach together. I told him what I had for dinner to which he showed me a picture of the 20 Picanhas he picked up on Friday. When we have gone over for dinner in the past he usually sends me home with a Picanha in hand. Life does not get much better then that! I cooked one as a whole roast once, and we just did not enjoy it as much as when they cut into steaks. Picanha along with Tri Tip and Flanken Style Ribs round out my top my top three favorite cuts of beef.

Yeah, I was a pleasant surprise when I walked into my local bbq shore on Thursday and they had Jealous Devil XL after only ever carrying Royal Oak lump and Chef's Select. They said the are no longer going to carry Royal Oat lump. What I really went in for was Oakridge Canre Crosta (it's one of the few store bought rubs I keep in my arsenal) for these steaks, but they didn't have it. They said they are not carrying Oakridge products any more. They said people hate the bags. So Amazon to the rescue, and I got it for a great deal.
Having a local source for JD XL is a game changer!
Good for you! Looking forward to hearing more of your feedback. I was skeptical at first due to price but I’m pretty sure it costs less to burn than KBB or KPro when you factor in reusing unburned leftovers and it’s durability when burning. I’ve got to figure out a true cost to cook with model. But I’m super happy with it and don’t see myself changing to anything else.

Very Nice, Michael! Your grilling is PERFECT!
very much like the jealous devil also, but not the price...

Picanha is quickly becoming my fav red meat, yet i continue to look for it.

Kids are cute, huh, Michael? :) You're raising them right, though, with all the grilling you have them hooked on. The class where you teach them the finer points of the difference between NY Strip and Picanha can come later! :)

Nice cook, bud!

R
Thank you as always for your kind comments. Right now I am helping my daughter make Caramel Kiss Cookies. Here friend are doing a bake off Caramel addition tomorrow at lunch. Just don't tell anyone because they are not supposed to share food! She is allowing me to be her side kick, I feel lucky!

Very Nice, Michael! Your grilling is PERFECT!
very much like the jealous devil also, but not the price...

Picanha is quickly becoming my fav red meat, yet i continue to look for it.
Thanks Jim, that means a lot coming from you. Yeah, for the price of 20 lbs of Jealous Devil I could get 48 lbs of Cowboy briquettes. I did completely and only reuse the leftover Jealous Devil this this cook for a simple chicken thigh cook tonight. So the prices are clearly not apples to apples. Are you saying you have a hard time finding Picanha locally?

Thank you as always for your kind comments. Right now I am helping my daughter make Caramel Kiss Cookies. Here friend are doing a bake off Caramel addition tomorrow at lunch. Just don't tell anyone because they are not supposed to share food! She is allowing me to be her side kick, I feel lucky!

I took this without her seeing.
IMG_20220130_195058672.jpg

The six that were chosen for the judging tomorrow.
IMG_20220130_202333864.jpg

Back