Pernil

Sean RW

TVWBB Member
Saw a picnic shoulder for $1.47 lb so picked it up. I sliced under the skin and flapped it back to put a wet rub of garlic, sofrito, adobo, cumin, cilantro, oil, white vinegar, salt and pepper. let that sit over night in the fridge. In the morning put a dry rub on the skin of garlic powder, onion powder, adobo, cumin, salt and pepper.
cooked hot in the wsm 350ish for about 4 hours. Mesquite wood for some smoke. Sorry no plated pics. Took it to the parents house for din.
d93749dc0c05f0e6eecca3058a9134e8.jpg

88e9cd1a9ef63a84f423b82557ed3be9.jpg

eef5ea30d513670bdf049480231007fd.jpg

66bee2c40c6eb4c6f4ea4db28dc4f61c.jpg

6faac608a42946d8f3786cf21782df3b.jpg

17d2ca41733aefa76cbde45586480da8.jpg

Turned out nice and crispy skin and garlic juicy goodness on the inside.
Thanks for looking.

I've never heard of Pernil before, but what you did above, I won't be Pernil ignorant for long. Nice cook

chuck, I didnt know what it was until I met my wife who is puerto rican. Her family introduced me to it and ive been hooked ever since.

I asked my wife she says it's called Picnic Shoulder here, I asked her to pick us up one in the near future. You serve it sliced, or do you pull it?

Beautiful Sean, lucky guy with a PR wife who knows barbecue. I make it a lot, I use the traditional fresh ham for mine which is how it is made all over the Caribbean and Latin America. In PR they use a shoulder cut like yours. Same basic seasonings and either way it is delicious. Nicely done Jersey!

I went to about 185 190. I cut the skin off and chop it it chunks. I kind of chop the meat in chunks. not really sliced. Its just before pullable. Also take your knife and poke holes in the meat and get some of that garlicky wet rub down inside

Nice Sean, Pernil is great! I'll often use leftovers (when we have them) on a Cuban style sandwich the next day. Great stuff!

I love the cuban sammy with leftovers. Unfortunately we gave all the leftovers to my parents. They dont get to have it that much. A cuban would have been a nice lunch during football. damn

Back