Perfect Chicken Wings

I have been doing a dry rub and basic indirect on the kettle for years, it’s really not rocket science, I go about an hour and don’t even peek. In that hour, they get crisp and kissed with smoke. It just works so well, I can’t see myself changing up my method too much, the kettle is so much more economical than the WSM for this kind of project.

So you cook them for only an hour? I think I'll try them on the kettle with basic indirect and then another on the wsm with no water pan and see what happens. I think I'll dump a load of new charocal on the unlit on the wsm without the water pan and see how that works. Thanks guys!

I have been doing a dry rub and basic indirect on the kettle for years, it’s really not rocket science, I go about an hour and don’t even peek. In that hour, they get crisp and kissed with smoke. It just works so well, I can’t see myself changing up my method too much, the kettle is so much more economical than the WSM for this kind of project.

I do something very similar - but I use a drumstick bbq holder and get 12 wings up in the air - and the rest on the grill, under and around the holder - that way I can do about 24 wings (I take the wing tips off). I usually move things around halfway through because the wings on the holder cook faster.

My cook times are about an hour as well and I get nice juicy wings with crisp skin. I use Cajun seasoning as a rub and marinade in a little lime juice for an hour or so. The coals are indirect and I make a drip pan out of aluminum foil.

Mike that's a good idea. I tried to find a wing holder but could never find one that actually held the wings without falling off. Can you tell me which one you have?

I use the KISS method, tip and divide the wings, throw the tips in a bag for stock, throw the sections in another bag and put the rub on them. I try to keep a bag in the freezer for “emergencies”
Then when it’s time to fire them, I just tip the bag over the center section and close it up. Go back inside, Mix cocktails enjoy some music then go back out for the wings, it doesn’t get easier than that.
Holders and things don’t do much for me, I am considering a basket for the rotisserie though, one could load a boatload in there and just spin away!

you mean like a ziplock bag? And you just pour the wings over the grate? On a kettle? with direct heat? Can you explain further?

Yep, trim the wings, put them in a ziplock bag, throw rub over them seal, toss in the bag to coat, I do this a day in advance when I can but, a couple of hours is not bad. Then set up indirect method. Drip pan is wise, open bag, pour the wings into the center, spread into a single layer, close the lid, mix cocktails, relax, about an hour later, take the wings off and enjoy the rest of the evening.
Does that help? It’s exactly the method the 1970 owners manual suggests, not hard at all. Sometimes less is more.
This works beautifully on a 22” kettle. Add smoke, don’t add smoke, as you please. I like a little more than my wife but, you have to play to the audience sometimes.

Yep, trim the wings, put them in a ziplock bag, throw rub over them seal, toss in the bag to coat, I do this a day in advance when I can but, a couple of hours is not bad. Then set up indirect method. Drip pan is wise, open bag, pour the wings into the center, spread into a single layer, close the lid, mix cocktails, relax, about an hour later, take the wings off and enjoy the rest of the evening.

We do a similar cook, but with a marinade instead of a rub (plenty of hot sauce in the marinade). The drip pan is very wise. Did it without one the first time and it took an hour to scrape the chicken goo out. I use the Weber half-moon baskets nearly full with some pecan or oak. After about 40 minutes, I mop the wings with 50/50 butter and Frank's Red Hot sauce. Then I use tongs to crisp them over the baskets. The last step is a bit labor intensive, But I can't enjoy them fully without the char. I haven't deep fried wings in about 3 years.

Jeff

I do wings on my Genesis 1000 gasser. The recipe I use is a Buffalo Chicken Wings recipe meant for the home oven, but it works even better on a grill. I put the wings on for about 30 minutes at about 400 degrees turning them after about 15 minutes. Then I pull them off, put them in a large bowl with the Buffalo sauce and toss them until they are good and coated. Then I throw them back on the grill with all three burners on HIGH which puts my grill in the 550 plus range for another ten minutes to crisp them up and glaze the Buffalo sauce on them.

Then I throw them in a large bowl on the table. I never have left overs and they are way cheaper than Buffalo wings in the restaurant or bar.

I also buy "Wingettes" from walmart as they are already sectioned with tips removed. If you care to save a little money, you can buy the full wings and section them yourself and toss the tips. Or you can just leave them whole...your choice.
=================================================================
Buffalo Chicken Wings w/Sauce

Ingredients
2/3 cup hot pepper sauce (such as Frank's RedHot(R))
1/2 cup cold unsalted butter
1 1/2 tablespoons white vinegar
1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
salt to taste
4-5 lbs chicken wings

Directions
1. Combine the hot sauce, butter, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, and salt in a pot and place over medium heat. Bring to a simmer while stirring with a whisk. As soon as the liquid begins to bubble on the sides of the pot, remove from heat, stir with the whisk, and set aside for use.

2. Bake Chicken Wings for 400 degrees for 35 minutes, then place in a bowl, coat with sauce. They can be served as is or baked to allow the sauce to glaze on the wings.

GRILL DIRECTIONS: You can half the recipe for smaller batches. But they are good as left overs warmed up. Also, if you do them on the grill, heat the grill up and turn down to medium heat and put the wings on. Turn them a couple time and they will probably take less time than in the oven. Then put the wings in a pan with the sauce and make sure they get fully coated. Then place back on the grill for another 5 minutes or so to glaze the wings.

Thank you all. I have gotten some great ideas. I am going to try them different ways. I think I’ll try them on the wsm without the water pan, with the water pan and trying to get the water pan out for the last 15 minutes with another half chimney of lit charcoal, and then the vortex method some of you really like. I’ll try a dry and a eat rub. I really love my dry rub. I put smoked paprika and cumin is the secret to my rub. And I have loved these on the wsm for a long time now. But I want to try other ways. And when I open my place I can switch it up which way I do them. I am probably going to mostly make them on the wsm’s though instead of paying thousands more for kettles just for wings. But for home wings I’ll try it on my kettle!

I use my WSM Without the water pan all the time when I'm cooking chicken ala my old UDS style of cooking. I like to cook wings a little hotter than 250 I tend to go 300-325 with a chunk of pecan wood.

So bill, the bottom rack didn't cook faster than the top without the water pan? I need to practice taking out the lower grate while the cooker is not in use I spilled an entire rack of wings trying it once. I think I'll get it down. I'm going to try a batch without the water pan and one with the water pan and taking it out to get wings crispier.

No, not really, Paul. I don't know if it matters, but for those competitions we were usually given those 6 lb bags of frozen/sectioned wings like you find in Sam's. They were usually only partially thawed and with the short turn around from check-in to Friday night turn-in, they were still partially frozen when they went on the WSM.

I've never tried it with "fresh" wings although I cook them almost weekly on my 26er now.

BD

Back