Pepperoni & Morel Mushroom Pizza Fattie

Dwain Pannell

TVWBB Hall of Fame
When I was at Talladega for the 500, a buddy from St Louis gave us some Morels to fry up. They were tasty but were so big we had a few left over. So…Pizza! Better yet, I made some Breakfast Sausage the other day so… Pizza Fattie!

Here's how it went down:

My 4 yr old grandson and I spread a chub within a zip lock bag, cut the bag away, layered pepperoni, pizza sauce, mushrooms, and mozzarella cheese, rolled her up in wax paper, and started a fire in the WSM, smoked it. I smoked it in a foil disposable pan in case of a blow out. I didn't want pizza all in the WSM. Once it gets to 160*F I'll pull it off and let it rest. The plan is to slice it and serve along with tonight's spaghetti dinner.

Here are some photos:

Once it's done, rested, sliced, and served I'll post an edit that includes those photos. Cheers!

Last edited:
Quite frankly, that looks like it may very well be the Best. Thing. Ever! Looking forward to the finished pics...

Thanks folks. This was fun for us to make and eat.

The sauce on top is an American-ized version. This was no way near the spaghetti we enjoyed in Italy.

Very Nice Dwain! Most know what Morel's taste like, but the one's that do don't give them out! Good friend you have!

Back