Pepper Vinegar

Jeff F

TVWBB Super Fan
Any Southern diner worth dining in has a bottle of vinegar full of peppers on every table. It's used most often to season greens, but I sprinkle it liberally on lots of other things, as well. The peppers used most often are immature Tabasco peppers. I grew Tabasco peppers for the first time this year, and one of my goals was to put up a nice bottle of vinegar. As the pepper season got into full swing the last few weeks I've noticed that there is a huge range of color in the peppers from the greenish white of the ones normally in vinegar to the brilliant red of the fully ripe peppers they make Tabasco sauce from. I decided to make my vinegar from a mix of all the various shades of green, yellow, orange and red. Hope the colors hold up over time, because it sure came out cool looking.

tabvinegar2.jpg

I love collard greens. There's some moth around here that likes them just as much as I do, so raising them has proven frustrating. I figure I'll give this vinegar a couple weeks to steep, then I'll cook up some collards with some of my home-cured tasso.

Never heard of that before but it sounds very interesting and it sure looks cool as you said.

You must have painstakingly put each pepper in the bottle? It's beautiful, I don't think I could use it, it would just be decor

Gotta love pepper vinegar. You've accomplished beautifully what I've been meaning to get around to doing for years now, Jeff! Very inspirational.

Thanks, guys.

Chuck, thanks for the thought, but it was completely random. No problem both enjoying the look and using it... as someone else said, you just top it off once in a while.

I do the same thing. I have a jar that I keep adding to and reheating. It has to be a few years old now. lol. My favorite thing to add a spoon to is a bowl of chicken and dumplings (or a thick chicken noodle soup).

I like that will have to look into doing something like that also. You were right to use all the colors they are awesome.

What I failed to mention earlier is that having enough peppers to do this is no issue whatsoever. I planted two in a raised bed with all my other peppers. This bottle didn't even put a dent in the supply off one of the plants. There's still plenty for making sauce! If you want to put it on your list for next year's garden, I can wholeheartedly recommend it.

We used to do the same thing with Peppericini, we would make a thin slice in the side for a little extra zing. Looks beautiful

Back