Pepper Stout Beef

WOW Larry you did it again. Made this up yesterday with only one change, used beef broth not stout (don't like the taste of stout). The wife and I can't get enought of this beef mixture. She already wants me to make it again. Larry, got to say, we've tried several of your recipes and they have all been keepers.

Did a modified version of it yesterday. My only suggestions to add are to go heavy on the seasoning, wait until you think your about an hour away from finishing the roasts before you put in the pan. I did about 2 hours covered and 45min to reduce the beer and the veggies had turned to mush. Had to add more seasoning to the mix as it was pretty bland out of the pan.

Otherwise it was pretty freaking awesome stuff. Will def be doing this again.

Originally posted by Chris Bjork:
Did a modified version of it yesterday. My only suggestions to add are to go heavy on the seasoning, wait until you think your about an hour away from finishing the roasts before you put in the pan. I did about 2 hours covered and 45min to reduce the beer and the veggies had turned to mush. Had to add more seasoning to the mix as it was pretty bland out of the pan.

Otherwise it was pretty freaking awesome stuff. Will def be doing this again.

We added a quart of beef broth instead of beer on our last cook. Added a lot of flavor.

I'm taking this on right now, such a beautiful recipe. I did run into a little hiccough though, went to the store to pick up a chuck roast but they were $6/pound. Decided to pull one I had in the deep freeze out instead, so I’m a little behind. Here’s what I’m gonna do a little different and report back on: First, I’m gonna try running at about 375 from the start (hopefully make up for lost time). Second, I’m roasting the green peppers first since I like the smoky flavor and I’m not partial to the skins. Lastly, I’m using a little hickory and apple smokewood.

I am staying true the Guinness though, nectar of the gods to all you naysayers …

Update:
I went with 3 small yellow onions, 3 roasted bell peppers and 3 jalapenos. Now to me, jalapenos are the most unpredictable of the chiles, sometimes like a bell, sometimes hotter than a serano. These were hot, so for me just about perfect, but could easily be too hot for some with sensitive palates.

I started at 375-400, but to no avail. It still took over 2 hours to come up to temp (first time I've used the 26 indirect and could have been a little too indirect).

I followed through but needless to say, it didn't end up being dinner. Sooooo for lunch the next day, I made a heaping sandwich with rustic bread and fontina, just awesome.

I tried this on Sunday after an overnight pork shoulder smoke (gotta love the WSM). Had about a 5# roast, so upped the onions and peppers a little, but otherwise just like the recipe and directions. I really enjoyed this and will definitely be doing this again. I knew the kids wouldn't go for it with the jalapenos, but they had fresh pulled pork and my wife and I had spicy fresh pulled beef.

This is for sure a keeper - another great TVWBB find! Thanks Larry (wherever you are)!

Peter

I made this for a poker tourney I had yesterday. I figured 4 1bs would be enough and have leftovers....wrongo. We killed that in nothing flat. Excellent and a big hit, you must try this!!

Tried this recipe this weekend.

Got a nice, lean chuckie (tied-up by Meat Market - Bunzel's).

One modification - used Poblano peppers in place of the Green Bell peppers. They were just a touch bitter, but the flavor in the end was great.

I used Red Onion - sliced THICK (also chopped the peppers into large chunks, this kept it from cooking-down into mush).

Having left-overs for lunch at work today!

Tried this yesterday. It was fantastic. I didn't use any hot peppers since kids were going to eat it too - they loved it also.

I cooked it on the 22" charcoal indirect for about 2 hours, rotating it and/or flipping it about every 30 minutes to exposed all sides to the hot end of the zone. I also used 2 small chunks of apple wood, just right - you could get a hint of smoke.

When it was time for the oven, I used 375 to speed it along since I had a deadline for dinner, stirring it once to keep peppers from browning too much.

icon_smile.gif

Chad

Great recipe Larry.
Made this for the first time on Saturday. My wife liked it so much we had leftovers for dinner Sunday.

How the heck did I miss this one?
icon_confused.gif

Making it right now, unfortunately in the oven. Too windy with the blowing snow until I get a shelter/wind break built.

Made this today and I have to say, the recipe is awesome. The combination of the stout and Worcestershire with the smokey flavor is killer. Wife said it was too hot, even though I only used 2 jalapenos. Next time, I will use mushrooms instead.

I did this yesterday for the game.

I used about a half a Woodchuck Cider instead of the stout and I used a very large red bell pepper instead of the jalapenos (my wife likes sweet instead of hot).

Thanks again to Larry for this recipe. It was OUTSTANDING!!

I made this yesterday for the games as well...Honestly both the wife and I didn't like the smoke flavor in the dish...I only used 1 chunk of hickory, but it was too much..it overpowered the dish. Also, I didn't like the mushy veg and the chuck was really fatty..I want to try making it with top round or bottom round next. Is it possible to cook the bottom round till almost fork tender on the grill then add it to the pan and cook in the oven for only an hour or so, so the veg is a bit less mushy? Do you think that would work? What temp would I need to bring the meat up to? 190 like a pork butt instead of taking it off at 165? Any suggestions?

Originally posted by Tom (Gunner):
I made this yesterday for the games as well...Honestly both the wife and I didn't like the smoke flavor in the dish...I only used 1 chunk of hickory, but it was too much..it overpowered the dish. Also, I didn't like the mushy veg and the chuck was really fatty..I want to try making it with top round or bottom round next. Is it possible to cook the bottom round till almost fork tender on the grill then add it to the pan and cook in the oven for only an hour or so, so the veg is a bit less mushy? Do you think that would work? What temp would I need to bring the meat up to? 190 like a pork butt instead of taking it off at 165? Any suggestions?

That's exactly what I did and I'd like to think it made a difference. I went more time on the smoker with the heat cranked up once I reached 165 internal and less time in the oven (about an hour or so). It was wasn't mushy at all. Also not "fatty", thankfully. Odd that only one chunk of hickory had that (overpowering) effect .

I am trying this one today. Was not sure of Guinness never had it before so I am drinking one right now. Ok flavor not a real big beer person. I only drink when I grill
icon_smile.gif
But I am going to follow the recipe.

I have this one on today as well. Cutting down on the jalapenos but otherwise following the recipe. Had some issues with reusing old charcoal though and it's costing me some time trying to get it to 165 on the grill, so may have to switch to the oven sooner than planned.

Made this again during the winter with some big jalepenos - it was even better than the first time.

I will be making it again in 1.5 weeks.

Chad

Back