Pepper Porter Beef

Mark B

TVWBB Pro
This is my second try at Larry Wolfe's recipe. I think it turned out well. Cooked last night for an event today.

Started with about a 4.5 lb bottom blade roast (rarely see chuck here) from the supermarket. Seasoned with sea salt, black pepper, and granulated garlic. On to the Performer...

IMG_0262.JPG

IMG_0263.JPG

I did smoke it with old oak staves, and took it off the Performer at 164. It looked and smelled wonderful at this point, and felt tough as you'd expect. Added it to the veggies. Being a Canuck I seeded the jalapenos, as I will be serving to a group.

IMG_0265.JPG

Liquids in this case was the essential Worcestershire, and for a twist some Blackberry Porter from Cannery Brewing in Penticton, BC. Guinness is OK, but I don't normally buy it and no-one sells singles near me. Didn't want the four pack. Picture is a bit blurry, need to get some lessons from Mr. Biesinger one day.

IMG_0266.JPG

After about 2.5 hours in the oven magic has been happening. Cooked another 15 mins uncovered after this.

IMG_0267.JPG

Here it is, in all it's savoury glory.

IMG_0268.JPG

I tasted it last night and it was real good, but this is being saved for the annual grape crush/party at a friend's place today. Have a couple dozen small ciabatta buns along with provolone and gorgonzola for cheeses. Looking forward to it.

Awesome PPB! Love the idea of a crush party too. Was hoping to help out with the Chardonnay harvest at a local winery today, but kids' soccer takes priority. I'm sure everyone will love it. Any of that blackberry come through in the finished product?

Outstanding job!!!! Nothing wrong with de-seeding the chilis if ya got some tenderfoots to serve ;)

Outstanding. This has always been one of those recipes where I have yet to see a failure. Truly a gift from Mr. Wolfe.

Well the results are in. The PPB disappeared quickly and those who tried it, loved it. I managed a couple buns of it, and it was KILLER with the gorgonzola. It was moist enough not to need any other condiments. Forgot how much I like the beef/blue cheese combination.

This porter is smoother than stout (the dry taste of roasted barley not noticeable) and a tad sweet from the blackberry. I couldn't detect any blackberry in the dish. The beef was so good I didn't mind. It was, as the kids say, OMG !

The party was great, it was my friend's 25th wine crush. As usual the several musicians in attendance brought their gear, and set up in the driveway. Electric and acoustic guitars, bass and mandolins. No keyboards this year. The weather was perfect, not a cloud in the sky and 26 C. (aka 78 F)

I will definitely be making this recipe again. Thanks for your comments !

Back