Pepper Grinder recommendations

I got a big wooden pepper grinder. Still works. No idea about the brand.
I got it as a birthday present, definitely more than 25 years ago.
It has survived tropical, sib tropical & wet climates, although maybe I should sand it down and varnish again.
Then again, who cares. It works :)

Welcome to the forum Josh! $200 for a pepper shaker seems a little high to me, but I'm sure it's a good one!
Thanks I used to use a pepper mate. The side turning lever was easier on the wrist.

We had a Peugeot pepper grinder for a few years until it quit working.
Replaced it with a Cole & Mason grinder, which we find works better than our Peugeot did.

I want to get a good pepper mill before Thanksgiving, the cheap plastic store one is okay but would like something better for the table. I am thinking Peugeot? It gets good ratings and is a classic design. Thanks
Another vote for Peugeot, very food grinding mechanisms and a nice wood finish.

Peugeots are good and not miserably expensive. Like I said earlier, my Zassenhaus is great but, small capacity, grind adjustment can be a little touchy since it’s a direct spring set up. You get used to it, but, it can get “off” pretty easily.

Get one of the William Bounds with a crank handle.

If you like a lot of pepper, get a crank. Grinds pepper at like a 10X rate as compared to the twist top.

I've had mine for like 25 years. Still going strong. Nice easy adjustment from fine to coarse.

I think it is. I found this on the internet.

Musician-turned-entrepreneur Vic Firth played percussion with the Boston Symphony for 50 years, and in the process he discovered something about drumsticks that nobody had thought of. He applied that knowledge to pepper mills and rolling pins for serious cooks and now the Vic Firth Company manufactures all three.
This is from an online obituary for Vic Firth.

"Vic Firth Inc. was acquired by the Avedis Zildjian Company, a well-known maker of cymbals, in 2010 and has been known since then as the Vic Firth Company. For some years, Mr. Firth’s company also made highly regarded wooden kitchen implements including saltshakers, pepper mills and rolling pins; that division was sold to Maine Wood Concepts in 2012."

I recall the Frugal Gourmet using a Turkish coffee grinder. Looked like it did a great job
Graham Kerr used a HUGE one of those, and that was hilarious to watch. Worked with a bit of “challenge” but, he is a big guy and made it work. He was one of the reasons I started cooking to tell the truth.

I've tried several over the years including the oxo brand and others. America's Test Kitchen tested pepper mills and recently and updated their results from prior testing. The 'winner' is the Cole & Mason Derwent grinder which goes for about $50 at amazon.

ATK's review: "Our winning mill was easy to load, and thanks to its clearly marked grind settings, “you know exactly what you’re getting,” said one tester. The easy-to-read settings allowed us to quickly and seamlessly change grind sizes, and the pepper output was great, too: We saw clear differences between the pepper ground using the fine, medium, and coarse settings. The mill was easy to operate, and the clear body was a nice bonus when filling because it helped us to avoid overflow."

I bought two of them in 2018 - one for coarse salt and the other for pepper and they work great. Second place went to oxo good grips contoured mess free grinder which is $18.

I have been running a OXO for a long time and nothing but good things to say about it, went through a lot of others for cheap and nothing lasted.

Back