Pepper Grinder recommendations

JohnTak

TVWBB Pro
I want to get a good pepper mill before Thanksgiving, the cheap plastic store one is okay but would like something better for the table. I am thinking Peugeot? It gets good ratings and is a classic design. Thanks

no firsthand experience on the Peugeot.

I've had a William Bounds Ltd. made in USA mill for 20 + years and it is starting to look a bit worn, but it's still working well. I looked at their website and didn't see anything like it, and, I cannot tell if they are still made in USA or if they are made "worldwide"

I have had a Fletcher's Mill on my someday maybe list for a while, but my current mill keeps grinding away.

my late brother had a Peugeot, very nice. I like my Zassanhaus but, I should have gotten the bigger one, I can go through a load in a weekend of heavy cooking. Daily grinder, the OXO I got from recommendations here is pretty good. I’m still searching for the best combination of size, price and durability. Maybe I should just bite the bullet and get a Peugeot! Christmas is coming.

IIRC, the mechanisms in a lot of mills are Peugeot manufactured.

Pretty much any mill with machined steel burrs, or possibly ceramic these days, should be pretty good. Look for an adjustable grind.

I have an olde Thompson, and a chef specialty brand. Both are wooden peppermills at least 15 years old. Held up very nice so far

It doesn't sound like the Oxo pepper mill is in the running... that's good. I give that one a thumbs down. I've had it for about a year, and the grind size is very inconsistent on the small/medium small grind setting. I think it's because the settings are "stepped" like 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 instead of threaded like most others. I have wooden one that I'm going back to, that I like quite a bit, but I don't know who made it anymore.

My William Bounds mill wore out after many years. I would have bought another exactly like it but, like DanHoo, I couldn't find a current model that met my needs. I bought a Peugeot and have been impressed by its quality. I also found a matching salt shaker, which I had to buy separately because [rant] the manufacturers seem to think that everyone wants a matching salt mill, so a "set" to them means two mills [/rant].

Hands down the best pepper mill you can buy Pepper Cannon by Mannkitchen. It’s available on Amazon or here.

Hands down the best pepper mill you can buy Pepper Cannon by Mannkitchen. It’s available on Amazon or here.
Welcome to the forum Josh! $200 for a pepper shaker seems a little high to me, but I'm sure it's a good one!

I want to get a good pepper mill before Thanksgiving, the cheap plastic store one is okay but would like something better for the table. I am thinking Peugeot? It gets good ratings and is a classic design. Thanks
I have had a Peugeot for 20 years. Its great.

Same! I was wondering if it was the same Vic.
I think it is. I found this on the internet.

Musician-turned-entrepreneur Vic Firth played percussion with the Boston Symphony for 50 years, and in the process he discovered something about drumsticks that nobody had thought of. He applied that knowledge to pepper mills and rolling pins for serious cooks and now the Vic Firth Company manufactures all three.

Got mine over 25 years ago from a local resturant supply store. Made by Vic Firth. It’s 8 inches tall.
I have a Vic Firth salt grinder, freaking AWESOME! That gets a touch hard on my thumb after a while but, wow, built like a set of “Fibes” drums! No, BETTER!

Back