Passed this BM up

Jay D in Jersey

TVWBB Wizard
It's bulk trash pickup time where we have our beach house. Spotted this BM as I was checking the surf this AM. Couldn't tell if it's LP or NG. I'm good with grills and projects for several months so I left it. Noticed the remains of an old school Hibachi to its left. It's going to the landfill as today is the last day of borough pickup.

Attachments

• 20210913_064210.jpg
    20210913_064210.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 66
I would have been tempted by both. That’s a really old Broilmaster.

I would like to find a made in Japan hibachi. My oldest memories of grilling are my Dad cooking sirloin steaks on one of those. When I cooked my first sirloin on my CharQ the memory of that smell of charcoal and sizzling sirloin came rushing back after fifty years! It would be a nice tribute to my father to grill on a hibachi.

I would have been tempted by both. That’s a really old Broilmaster.

I would like to find a made in Japan hibachi. My oldest memories of grilling are my Dad cooking sirloin steaks on one of those. When I cooked my first sirloin on my CharQ the memory of that smell of charcoal and sizzling sirloin came rushing back after fifty years! It would be a nice tribute to my father to grill on a hibachi.
Although I didn't see the CI grates with the wood handles for that Hibachi.

There are a lot of non-Japanese hibachis out there and many of the early originals are short parts. I must not be the only one interested, because I see them listed at pretty high prices on eBay!

There are a lot of non-Japanese hibachis out there and many of the early originals are short parts. I must not be the only one interested, because I see them listed at pretty high prices on eBay!
Been looking for a Japanese hibachis for a couple of years now with no luck except for a couple in bad shape for for big $$$. Have very great memories of cooking on the one I had in my single days.

That BM is the same one I redid last year. It is mid 70's. Not sure if the wood shelves are missing or maybe inside the grill.

Like this? I didn't know hibachi was even a brand. I always thought it was a style of grill. Lol

Like this? I didn't know hibachi was even a brand. I always thought it was a style of grill. Lol

It seems one company managed to grab that name and use it, but the term is a generic description of an open top, small cast iron grill, usually with grates that can be raised/lowered on pre-set rungs on a holder.

I want one that clearly says "JAPAN" on it. Many are from Taiwan (nothing wrong with that, I just want one from Japan). Some are even made in the US.

That BM is the same one I redid last year. It is mid 70's. Not sure if the wood shelves are missing or maybe inside the grill.
I passed this one up for several reasons...even though it was free:
I just completed restoring the stainless cart version.
I couldn't tell if it was NG or LP.
The cart is rudimentary and kind of odd looking.

Back