Partial Review on PK360 - Low & Slow Pork Butt

John K BBQ

TVWBB All-Star
Happy Thursday everyone! I haven't posted much about my PK360 because we are all mostly Weber people. I decided to give the PK360 a shot because my used 22" Weber Kettle was getting a little beat up and I wanted to get something with a hinged lid. The PK360 has a lot of good reviews and fans, but unlike the kettle and WSM, limited support from the manufacturer, and not a huge fan or forum base like we have here for the kettle and WSM. It took me a while to crack the code on low 225 to 275 temperature control, but I finally got it! Here's what I did;

1 - I used this rub, it's been sitting around in my pantry a while, but I really like it. My only reservation is the MSG content, which I know some folks don't like. Otherwise, this rub is a pretty solid basic rub. It also has some anti-caking ingredients so it shakes out nice and even. Not sure I'll buy it again, but I have enjoyed using it.

IMG-2889.jpg

Here's a photo of the 5 lb butt (just a cute little thing) on the indirect side of the PK, with some lump charcoal (Rockwood, made right here in MO) on the other side. The key to going low and slow is to fill the indirect side with charcoal, and nestle a lighter cube or tumbleweed down in the charcoal and light it off that way. Everytime I tried lighting anything in a chimney, even if it was only 6 briquettes, the temperature would overshoot and I was at 300F before you could finish your first beer! I have the Maverick temperature probe situated about 1" behind the butt, and just running the cable between the lid and base. Nice big chunk O'hickory sitting on top of the charcoal. PK's low and slow youtube video basically tells you to dump a full load of lit briquettes on the indirect side which NEVER WORKS.

IMG-2896.jpg

Top vent over the meat about half open (other vent not shown, totally closed).

IMG-2897.jpg

Not unlike the weber kettle one touch, the bottom vent control on the PK's a bit tricky to figure out/calibrate. I put some color coded zip ties on mine so I could better see where the vent would be wide open, vs just barely cracked. With this lighting method, and vent settings, the PK360 settled in at about 235 or so for a long time. I decided I would not touch the vents unless the temperature got above 265 or below 210, and I barely made any adjustments at all during the 6 hour cook.

IMG-2894.jpg

Here it is coming up to temperature

IMG-2893.jpg

After about 5 or 6 hours we hit 160, and I decided to wrap it and finish it inside in the oven. I called this a successful run. Here it is, close to the finish line. The bark on this turned out really nice. It passed the scratch test with flying colors before I wrapped it.

IMG-2912.jpg

After I pulled the bone out....

IMG-2914.jpg

After shredding

IMG-2913.jpg

Being just a cute little butt, I feed this to a group of hungry teenagers and only got one sandwich for myself! The "customers" were all thrilled and I'm feeling better about my PK360. I think the Weber Kettle one-touch is still better in some ways, but now I can say with confidence the PK360 is a great alternative. I'll post a more comparative thread sometime in the future.

Very nice. Like you, I found it a bit challenging to know how much of the bottom vent is open when adjusted. Good solution you came up with. I also found that I was making too big of a fire when trying to cook at a low temperature. The PK360’s ability to maintain heat allows for a smaller fire.

John,
There is a great deal on a used PK classic about two hours away from me, I keep flirting with the idea of picking it up and your awesomely timed review of yours is not helping me.

Just curious, what charcoal basket are you using? Looks adjustable. I'm interested in a PK360 as they are $100 off right now with a grill cover. Good to know low and slow tips.

Just curious, what charcoal basket are you using? Looks adjustable. I'm interested in a PK360 as they are $100 off right now with a grill cover. Good to know low and slow tips.
I'm using a charcoal basket from the burnshop. http://theburnshopwf.com/product/pk-grills-charcoal-basket-pk360/ The charcoal basket is adjustable. It is a really heavy basket and will last as long as the grill. It really doesn't seem to impact air flow or performance at all so I give the basket 5 stars. The burn shop appears to be a family owned business in TX and I had no issues with my order.

Why are those things so expensive?
I think PK is pricing the PK360 just under the kamado grill market, and above the weber kettle, and they're probably making some pretty good $$$. If you're in the market for a new charcoal grill, I still think the Weber Kettle is an awesome grill and a great value, and has at least one big advantage over the PK which is the ease of ash removal. I also miss using the Vortex in the weber but that is an extremely first world complaint. I have no issues at all searing meat on the PK.

Why are those things so expensive?

The rep on PK's is that it will never ever rust or wear out -- all cast aluminum cookbox with a 20 year warranty.

So a grill that you would be able to pass down to your kids.

A PK original (very cool retro/cult following vibe) goes for $370. Not a crazy price (since it is a cart grill) as compared to, say, a Weber Performer. I've never seen one in person, but I get it.

I have a "few" Weber kettles which I love. I no longer have a full size Weber gasser and I don't miss it due to my Q100 being so great. I've been looking for something new. Thought about the Weber Smokefire but I'll pass on the pellet craze. Komados are cool but too bulky. I have a Smokey mountain 18 for low and slow. Think I will just stay with charcoal. Watching how my fiends Masterbuilt 560 vertical charcoal works out over time. That's kind of why I'm looking at the PK360, familiar but different. Hasty Bake could be interesting but maybe another time. It'll be fun to experiment.

If you want a new charcoal toy, check out the sleek hipster hi-tech Spark Grill.

If an original PK grill moved from Arkansas to Brooklyn to work for a tech start-up, it would look like this.

Last edited:
I had a PK360 for a couple of years. It was good for fast grilling like steaks, chickens, ribs, etc. I never tried any real smoke cooking. I sold it when I bought a Masterbuilt 560 and don't miss it. It has it's uses, but the 560 was/is more versatile. I liked it so much I got it's larger brother the 1050 when it came out last spring. I just didn't have enough room on the 560. I've relegated it for rotisserie use only after I got the MB rotisserie kit. Now I've changed directions somewhat. My Smokefire EX6 will arrive tomorrow. If it works out, I'll sell that 1050

If you want a new charcoal toy, check out the sleek hipster hi-tech Spark Grill.

Wow - that's a crazy looking grill. To hip for me!

If an original PK grill moved from Arkansas to Brooklyn to work for a tech start-up, it would look like this.

Funny you mention that. It just showed up as a spam ad on YouTube today. Seems a little gimmicky, kind of a charcoal pellet smoker that requires you to buy dedicated charcoal bits. Like a pellet grill, a Masterbuilt, even gassers to some extent, I don't "like" grilling over a drip pan that needs to be foiled or cleaned. I like when drippings go in to the fire and go out with the ashes.
I'd love to find an old PK someone wants to sell to try out.

Back