Papardelle with sugo di porcini and prosciutto

Looks good! Gobble up!
Not sure what " Rome food " is really....Italian food I guess.....but it looks good....I am still waiting to try porcini......I see them but I haven't splurged I guess you could say.

Last edited:
Inspired me to look into a couple recipes that are from the same region.
I have almost everything I need and hopefully will be putting together a top shelf meal this weekend.
Still hunting for some guanciale...I have a dish ready to go for that.....if I want it I think it is about an hours drive for me to hopefully find it.

Looks good! Gobble up!
Not sure what " Rome food " is really....Italian food I guess.....but it looks good....I am still waiting to try porcini......I see them but I haven't splurged I guess you could say.
The regions of Italy have specific dishes and styles. I had this dish last summer in Rome. Was very impressed with the flavors and texture.

I bought a 1# bag of dried porcini in SF a few weeks back. Wasn’t cheap but a little goes a long way. I used around 4oz dried porcini which I ran my knife through and chopped them up before the cooking and rehydrating in a vegetarian stock.

This was dinner for two with leftovers.

Inspired me to look into a couple recipes that are from the same region.
I have almost everything I need and hopefully will be putting together a top shelf meal this weekend.
Still hunting for some guanciale...I have a dish ready to go for that.....if I want it I think it is about an hours drive for me to hopefully find it.
I can write up my recipe here. It was a mashup of a few different recipes as I didn’t want heavy cream in mine as one recipe called for.

Even though I listed prosciutto as the ingredient, I actually used Serrano ham slices from Spain. While similar to prosciutto, the Serrano I have has much more body and a better flavor than prosciutto.

If you ever get a chance , find and enjoy some Iberico jamon. It’s the best ham I’ve ever had. Sweet and nutty. Iberico is a higher grade than Serrano. Esoteric, but a huge flavor difference.

I can't tell if you made the pasta or not, but that's a killer looking dish regardless, Brett! Pretty sure I've got some dried porcini I need to use up.....gives me ideas!

The regions of Italy have specific dishes and styles. I had this dish last summer in Rome. Was very impressed with the flavors and texture.

I bought a 1# bag of dried porcini in SF a few weeks back. Wasn’t cheap but a little goes a long way. I used around 4oz dried porcini which I ran my knife through and chopped them up before the cooking and rehydrating in a vegetarian stock.

This was dinner for two with leftovers.

^^ It's a good sized pot. ^^

I have a recipe at home to make beef ragu which is one of the new dishes I will attempt.
I will check the pasta out but probably end up using pappardelle due to it's sauce handling capabilities.

I will be adjusting the recipe to my taste, which includes using barely any red wine....maybe a touch.....and using the water that reconstitutes the porcini's ( yes I know where to buy them but again this post is inspiring enough to actually go get them for once ) to sub out the missing amounts of wine I do not use.....extra garlic....I have a 3 pound chuck roast ready to go already.
Just need to pick up the pasta, fresh herbs and see if I can find some pecorino to change that up a bit too.....
Make a sofrito with just onions, garlic, carrots and celery...... and let the rest do it's magic I hope.

Hoping on a 4 hour cook....the chuck roasts I have and have been using for pepper stout beef recently are extra tough for some reason....
So tough that I have to discard large pieces of fat that will not even come close to breaking down.
Chopping them to a 2 inch size and getting rid of those really hard portions should help during the braise.

Also an extra step of saving some pasta water.....and finishing the dish in an extra frying pan. Get the finished ragu in there, and then the slightly under al dente pasta, and add some of that pasta water and do it hot and cook a bit of that water out while coating the pasta is my thoughts......
Hopes for an extra creamy layer to the dish.......

Also I will prepare celery bread......marshmelowie textured cubed shaped bread....buttered, celery seed too.....fried on all sides to top it off!

I will be sure to post, I know it will be good......Also considered using skirt as another great option but not sure how it cooks down in a braise situation and grilling it first seems like a waste of all the good things I want in the dish.

Last edited:
I can't tell if you made the pasta or not, but that's a killer looking dish regardless, Brett! Pretty sure I've got some dried porcini I need to use up.....gives me ideas!
Trader Joe’s papardelle nests, organic, from Italy, in a dry pack in the pasta section. TJs also sells a flat stock pack of papardelle, around 8 oz pack, I believe from Italy too.

I prefer this new nests package. The pasta was authentic and cooked up perfectly.

I did cook the dried pasta in the mushroom rehydration liquid and built the dish from there. So the pasta was full of flavor.

I’ll try to document my recipe today and post it.

The porcini sack I bought was from Molinari Deli in North Beach in SF. Around $65 for a pound. Very high quality shrooms. I believe I read somewhere that Whole Paycheck had dried porcinis in bulk section. I will have to explore this and verify.

The meal ate like shredded short ribs. Lots of flavor levels built into the recipe.

^^ It's a good sized pot. ^^

I have a recipe at home to make beef ragu which is one of the new dishes I will attempt.
I will check the pasta out but probably end up using pappardelle due to it's sauce handling capabilities.

I will be adjusting the recipe to my taste, which includes using barely any red wine....maybe a touch.....and using the water that reconstitutes the porcini's ( yes I know where to buy them but again this post is inspiring enough to actually go get them for once ) to sub out the missing amounts of wine I do not use.....extra garlic....I have a 3 pound chuck roast ready to go already.
Just need to pick up the pasta, fresh herbs and see if I can find some pecorino to change that up a bit too.....
Make a sofrito with just onions, garlic, carrots and celery...... and let the rest do it's magic I hope.

Hoping on a 4 hour cook....the chuck roasts I have and have been using for pepper stout beef recently are extra tough for some reason....
So tough that I have to discard large pieces of fat that will not even come close to breaking down.
Chopping them to a 2 inch size and getting rid of those really hard portions should help during the braise.

Also an extra step of saving some pasta water.....and finishing the dish in an extra frying pan. Get the finished ragu in there, and then the slightly under al dente pasta, and add some of that pasta water and do it hot and cook a bit of that water out while coating the pasta is my thoughts......
Hopes for an extra creamy layer to the dish.......

Also I will prepare celery bread......marshmelowie textured cubed shaped bread....buttered celery seed too.....fried on all sides to top it off!

I will be sure to post, I know it will be good......Also considered using skirt as another great option but not sure how it cooks down in a braise situation and grilling it first seems like a waste of all the good things I want in the dish.
Authentic beef ragu is a lot of work but is worth the effort. The red wine really cooks out and you’re left with an earthy flavor. And that splash of heavy cream at the end is needed.

I make this in the dead of winter. It’s a very hearty dish.

Looking forward to your posts.

The porcini dish is much less work and high on flavor. Hopefully I can get it written today to share.

Authentic beef ragu is a lot of work but is worth the effort. The red wine really cooks out and you’re left with an earthy flavor. And that splash of heavy cream at the end is needed.

The porcini dish is much less work and high on flavor. Hopefully I can get it written today to share.

While the porcini I think is not a traditional addition to the ragu dish I really want to incorporate it in.
I won't be using a lot, probably around 2 grams or so dried so should work out to about 10X the weight when cooked.
Should be enough to hopefully get the flavor incorporated put that little extra bite in the dish.
Both the MRS and myself are big mushroom lovers and use them a fair bit.

The weekend plans is my main issue of getting this done on Sunday........
I have to make changes to the weekend schedule....which is never ending busy.....so hopefully I only get the MRS a little mad over that and reward her with this dish.....again.....hoping for 4 hours start to finish but the only hold up would be waiting for that chuck to become pulling tender.

Thanks for the inspiration.....hopefully you enjoy the pictures and write ups on any issues I am having.
Maybe I will opt for 1/2 cup of full bodied wine instead of the full cup.....was considering only using a splash.
I don't drink much wine and the MRS hates red so we will see.....( I may have to crush the rest of the bottle during cooking and eating of course )
Like it should pair well I would think.

Oh yeah and I almost forgot.....
Putting richness over the top ( I have to be careful with this stuff ) I have beef marrow bone broth I made and I will be using in place of regular broth and or bouillon cubes or anything like that....it's super rich so some extra of that porcini water may have to used as well....

It all sounds good in my head, but like anything else it can be take too far....

Look forward to seeing your recipe on this dish you made.

Oh yeah and I almost forgot.....
Putting richness over the top ( I have to be careful with this stuff ) I have beef marrow bone broth I made and I will be using in place of regular broth and or bouillon cubes or anything like that....it's super rich so some extra of that porcini water may have to used as well....

It all sounds good in my head, but like anything else it can be take too far....

Look forward to seeing your recipe on this dish you made.
Have you given up on the Slate?

Have you given up on the Slate?
Not at all…….I truly love to grill n smoke the most, but haven’t used the slate in maybe 3 weeks now.
I have promised the MRS phiily cheese and grilled cheese hot dogs still….got a few more weeks left of summer still.

Back