Papardelle with sugo di porcini and prosciutto

Recipe:
2 Cups vegetable or beef stock
4-5 oz porcini mushrooms (dried as fresh are only in season for a little while)
2 Tbs tomato paste
4 cloves garlic chopped
1 shallot, minced
6-8 slices of prosciutto (each slice on the thicker side than thin)
1 Tbs EVOO
10-12 oz pappardelle dried pasta
salt and black pepper to taste
2.5 cups water
5-6 pats of unsalted sweet cream butter

carefully run a chef's knife through the dried porcinis to cut them 2-3 times.
add cut porcinis to the 2 Cups stock
bring mushrooms and stock to a boil and then a low simmer, to rehydrate the mushrooms, about 2o0 minutes time
in a separate frying pan on low, add the EVOO, chopped garlic and shallots.
cook until fragrant, around 1 minute
cut the prosciutto into bite size pieces and add to the frying pan
cook for 5 minutes or until the prosciutto has rendered some fat and its crisped up bit. do not overcook or burn this mixture
when aromatics and prosciutto are done, add 50% of the frying pan ingredients to the rehydrated mushroom stock
add in the 2 Tbs tomato paste and incorporate
add one cup of the water and the dried pappardelle to the stock mushroom mixture
slowly stir in the pappardelle to get it to begin softening
the pappardelle will give off its starch and start to thicken your stock
add more water as you cook the pasta as needed so the sauce isn't too thick and you can still stir the pasta
you will need to continually stir the pasta as it will tend to stick to the pan and can burn if left unattended
add more water as you cook and then taste the pasta for doneness
when the pasta is done cooking and the sauce is to your liking, turn off the heat and add in the butter.
stir in the butter until its all melted and combined.
add the remaining 50% of the frying pan ingredients and incorporate
salt and pepper to taste to balance the dish before serving

serve with freshly grated pecorino and wine of your choosing

notes: i wrote this recipe from memory as i re-walked my way through making this meal. i believe i have incorporated all the steps and ingredients. i'll post a follow up if i remember something else in short time.

you can add or take away anything from this recipe that you'd like. the recipe is very forgiving and full of flavor. cooking the pasta in the sauce really adds flavor to the pasta itself. just be careful not to burn the pasta or let it sit still for a prolonged time when cooking.

Back