Oyster day

Andy Kaminski

TVWBB Pro
I picked some oysters this morning that I planted at the end of last May.
Man oh man, these suckers grew.
I’m still somewhat new at this but I moved the baskets into deeper water when I planted this batch figuring they would grow more the longer they spent underwater.
They are super sweet and tasty as all get out.

Attachments

• IMG_3268.jpeg
    IMG_3268.jpeg
    131.9 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_3277.jpeg
    IMG_3277.jpeg
    212.2 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_4588.jpeg
    IMG_4588.jpeg
    279.6 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_4592.jpeg
    IMG_4592.jpeg
    329.9 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_4591.jpeg
    IMG_4591.jpeg
    361.7 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_4604.jpeg
    IMG_4604.jpeg
    199.8 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_4605.jpeg
    IMG_4605.jpeg
    137.8 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_4607.jpeg
    IMG_4607.jpeg
    125 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_4600.jpeg
    IMG_4600.jpeg
    283.6 KB · Views: 32
OK Andy, you’re starting to get on the “Not-one-of-my-favorite” cooks list! Those are making me green with envy! That is a Lenten feast in my stomach! Here in middle earth, really good fresh shellfish like that, is rare or too expensive most of the time.
Between Lent and Trulicity, I just don’t give a hoot about anything to eat but, I think I could make myself enjoy a few of those!

Last edited:
I love me a nice fresh oyster! Savor that oyster juice! I prefer just a squirt of lemon on mine. Down here in Maryland, we got 'em coming out of the bay. I have three different knives to get 'em open. An oyster omelet is the best omelet in the world. Just lay the live oysters right there in the omelet, add some scallions and grated cheddar and fold it over. I've recently been introduced to the oyster po' boy. Pretty easy. Take some oysters, dredge them in a small bowl of 1 cup corn meal (I prefer coarse), half cup corn starch, 1 tsp cayenne powder, fry them in oil at 375 for three minutes, no more. Drain for about a minute. Put them in a nice heated bun such as an Amoroso Club roll while they're still hot with tartar sauce. Ridiculously delicious.

I love me a nice fresh oyster! Savor that oyster juice! I prefer just a squirt of lemon on mine. Down here in Maryland, we got 'em coming out of the bay. I have three different knives to get 'em open. An oyster omelet is the best omelet in the world. Just lay the live oysters right there in the omelet, add some scallions and grated cheddar and fold it over. I've recently been introduced to the oyster po' boy. Pretty easy. Take some oysters, dredge them in a small bowl of 1 cup corn meal (I prefer coarse), half cup corn starch, 1 tsp cayenne powder, fry them in oil at 375 for three minutes, no more. Drain for about a minute. Put them in a nice heated bun such as an Amoroso Club roll while they're still hot with tartar sauce. Ridiculously delicious.
Makin' me hungry!

I’m still somewhat new at this but I moved the baskets into deeper water when I planted this batch figuring they would grow more the longer they spent underwater.
I like the Tabasco brand Sriracha. Every bit as good as the Huy Fong.

Mark I have never had an oyster omelette but it’s on my short list of things to do.
I have seen several vids about Korean oyster omelettes that use a criss cross layer of green onion then you add everything on top of that after a bit.
It is kinda like the hash brown omelette I make.

One of my buddies swears by “Hang Town” omelettes.
It’s an oyster omelette.
This omelette has an interesting history.
The legend says that in Placerville CA during the gold rush era a convicted criminal chose this as his last meal to delay his execution a bit, but who know?

On another note,
This oyster thing is not a big deal here.
Regular people do this all the time here.
Other than the hippy vegan neighbor I think all the neighbors are doing this too.
Even if you don’t live on the water, the state seeds/plants oysters on public beaches for all to enjoy.
Oysters clean the water so it’s a win win deal.

Not a sriracha fan myself. Bought a bottle a while back of the original (with the rooster). left me "meh". Just an "off putting" taste to my buds. I never used it all up and ended up tossing it in the trash

Love oysters. Anything from raw to Rockefeller. Wife and youngest daughter feel the same and would die to raise their own. That ain't happening in Fallon or St. Louis :(

Don't want to hijack the thread but have a cute story on the subject.

We've been going to brunch at the Atlantis in Reno for 35+ years (before they took over from Clarion) and the only thing we felt they lacked was raw oysters. One Sunday when our youngest was about 3, she had gone to the salad aisle and came back very excited. "Mommy, Daddy. I saw a man with oysters". I asked if she saw where he got them and she said "yes". She led me to where they made Caeser and spinach salads to order. She was so short that the woman behind the counter couldn't see her. After the woman had heard her voice several times, she leaned over the counter and asked if she could help her. Callie, our youngest, said, "I'd like some oysters please". When the woman asked how many she would like, the kid asked. "how many ya got".

Love oysters. Anything from raw to Rockefeller. Wife and youngest daughter feel the same and would die to raise their own. That ain't happening in Fallon or St. Louis :(

Don't want to hijack the thread but have a cute story on the subject.

We've been going to brunch at the Atlantis in Reno for 35+ years (before they took over from Clarion) and the only thing we felt they lacked was raw oysters. One Sunday when our youngest was about 3, she had gone to the salad aisle and came back very excited. "Mommy, Daddy. I saw a man with oysters". I asked if she saw where he got them and she said "yes". She led me to where they made Caeser and spinach salads to order. She was so short that the woman behind the counter couldn't see her. After the woman had heard her voice several times, she leaned over the counter and asked if she could help her. Callie, our youngest, said, "I'd like some oysters please". When the woman asked how many she would like, the kid asked. "how many ya got".
Still the best Sunday brunch in Reno. Their seafood is tops. We need to visit there again, soon.

Don't you put them on the BBQ, and pull them when the shells open?
Done that too but we seldom find good oysters hare :( When we lived in Calif. used to go to a little place called Tony's in Marshall on the North end of Tomales for grilled oysters and would sometimes take home several dozen fresh too.

Done that too but we seldom find good oysters hare :( When we lived in Calif. used to go to a little place called Tony's in Marshall on the North end of Tomales for grilled oysters and would sometimes take home several dozen fresh too.
Check your Winco. They bring them in fresh by us. And they’re tracked, tagged and dated.

Back