Overnight cooking?

Tanner H.

TVWBB Member
Hi Guys,
Im thinking about doing an overnight cooking of two pork Butts. I have been researching an reading the posts regarding what type of Charcoal is best for smoking on the WSM. I can get K Blue, Royal Oak and Stubbs locally along with some other off brands. So my question is, Which one do you prefer for smoking in general and which will be better for the overnight cooking.

Thanks for your help.

Any of them will work fine. I'd use Stubbs if I had a choice but the others are good too.

I just stopped in lowes and they have one called cowboy charcoal. Says 100% hardwood lump. Is that any good. They also have two pack K blue on sale for 12.75

For a long steady dependable burn i would go with Kingsford.......(don't want any surprises in the morning)
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Originally posted by Tanner H.:
I just stopped in lowes and they have one called cowboy charcoal. Says 100% hardwood lump. Is that any good. They also have two pack K blue on sale for 12.75

The last time I used Cowboy, and it has been at least 4 years, it was garbage. Nothing more than partially burned down scrap from a furniture company.

We have used Blue K for years and have never had a surprise. Home Depot has been running a sale on 13.9 lb. twin paks of Blue K for $6.88, about half the normal price. You might want to see if a location close to you is still running that sale. The ones in my neighborhood are running it as long as supplies last. They had a half dozen pallets of it yesterday afternoon.

I thought it was just me so I was going to keep it to myself but I bought two bags of cowboy lump. I burned one in a cpl cooks and was not impressed. I'm heading back to briquettes. I like Stubbs but can only get it at Lowes so planning is key. The local grocery has KBB so I just go with that for convenience.

Kingsford is like a dependable ugly car. Nothing fancy but it gets the job done and it's very predictable.

Lowes in my area is out of Stubbs. But does have a twin pack of 20 lb bags for 12.88 of the K blue. Going with that. Thanks guys

Everyone has a favourite. Pack your ring tight, get your temp stable and go to sleep.

I wouldn't do ribs overnight but a brisket or butt can weather the swings.

That said, don't take an 8hr nap but get 4-6 hours between checks and adjust accordingly.

Just did my first overnight cook and used Stubb's. I got 12 hours of almost maintain free 250 degree temps out of my new WSM. I did check every few hours just to be on the safe side.

Filled the ring and scattered 20 lit briquettes on top.

I find for butts or other long cooks that standard Kingsford (blue) ashes up and smothers itself. A few gently kicks to the legs drops some of the ash into the bottom but still, for overnighters, I go with Competition Kingsford. It's not easy to find but I get great, dependable and consistent results with Comp K. I save the KBB for ribs, chicken or high-heat cooks.

Originally posted by PeterD:
I find for butts or other long cooks that standard Kingsford (blue) ashes up and smothers itself. A few gently kicks to the legs drops some of the ash into the bottom but still, for overnighters, I go with Competition Kingsford. It's not easy to find but I get great, dependable and consistent results with Comp K.

Me, too. Only down side is that it burns hotter, so I would be sure to use water or at least a clay pot base in the pan. The Comp smoke doesn't smell anything like the K in the blue bag, either. As to other choices, a quality lump like Wicked Good, Humphreys, or Ozark Oak is the best way to go, but not readily available to most of us, unfortunately. As implied above, Cowboy charcoal is terrible, at least the last time I used it a few years ago. Like using what's left in the bottom of a bag of Royal Oak lump, that's already been used once. Who knows, maybe it's different stuff now?

Back