Orange Marmalade Sriracha Wings

Now that's a lot of wings right there!! Glad you enjoyed them!

Yeah, even with the 1/3 cup of sriracha, they are not overwhelmingly hot.

Originally posted by Larry Wolfe:
Now that's a lot of wings right there!! Glad you enjoyed them!

Yeah, even with the 1/3 cup of sriracha, they are not overwhelmingly hot.

There's an outside chance I'll be going to a friend's house for the Eagles game this upcoming weekend. He has a ranch kettle, and said he's buyin' if I'm cookin'. That's a pretty good deal in my opinion. I'm thinkin' I can get a metric **** ton of wings goin' indirect on a ranch. I can't even imagine how many pounds I can get on there. On my Performer, I get about 4.5 lbs on half a grate with the indirect set-up.

Wow! Chicken candy at its finest.

I made this for the first time today. I very much enjoyed the flavor. The sriracha has a nice little kick to balance all that sweet. I truly wish I had the video rolling when my wife took a bite. Immediately following that first bite, she ran around thinking it was the hottest thing ever. She was not a fan. That just left more wings for me.
icon_smile.gif

Thank you for sharing. I saved some sauce for another batch tomorrow.

3999550980_ac374b5439.jpg

3999555222_80bba0484c.jpg

3998792391_b0322b1e8a.jpg

And a little video I put together of making these.

Good job RD! I did the wings for the first time today also. I loved your video, excellent demonstration of the whole process.

I just polished off another batch of these for the start of the Eagles game. These are addicting. My belly thanks you.

4001157501_90b0ecbf02.jpg

4001158903_984c60239a.jpg

It's universally accepted that imitation is the finest form of flattery. To that end, this is an oft imitated recipe. I could make this 5 times a week and never get bored of it. Just change up the preserves being used, and it's brand new all over again. I find myself making a lot of the things Larry does, and they've all turned out well. Maybe one day I'll churn out something original instead of riding his coat tails. LOL

Finally taking the plunge with this recipe, as I write. I had gathered all the ingredients a while back. Now it comes time to cook, I found myself lacking a bit.

Couldn't keep my mitts off the marmalade last week, so added a bit of last nights fresh cranberry sauce to make up the volume. Found I only had about a tablespoon of Alfalfa honey, so made up the difference with light corn syrup and a tablespoon of fancy molasses to add complexity. Brown sugar and sriracha were all there. This stuff smells incredible on the stove.

Had about 1.2 kg trimmed wings and seasoned with some basic bbq rub. On the Performer with a little chunk of walnut and maple.

First time using the Performer below freezing - it's awesome. This is why I wanted to move from the Char-Griller, so much easier to maintain temps.

Heading towards the 1 hour mark of the initial cook, checked the wings and they look tremendous. Looking forward to the final results.

Originally posted by Hayden McCall:
It's universally accepted that imitation is the finest form of flattery. To that end, this is an oft imitated recipe. I could make this 5 times a week and never get bored of it. Just change up the preserves being used, and it's brand new all over again. I find myself making a lot of the things Larry does, and they've all turned out well. Maybe one day I'll churn out something original instead of riding his coat tails. LOL

Ditto!! No matter how you twist it, it comes out good! Can't wait for my next batch. Try this on pork chops too, it's killer.

Used the offset to make some of these last week. Great flavor, but the color threw me off. Instead of the beautiful deep golden brown that I see in so many of your pictures, my wings turned a bit grey after an hour with the smoke. As you may have figured out, I didn't die...
But, any reason for concern, and if so, how to remedy?

Originally posted by Mosef:
Used the offset to make some of these last week. Great flavor, but the color threw me off. Instead of the beautiful deep golden brown that I see in so many of your pictures, my wings turned a bit grey after an hour with the smoke. As you may have figured out, I didn't die...
But, any reason for concern, and if so, how to remedy?

It sounds like they were cooked at too low of a temp and over smoked. No reason for concern, but I would try to cook them at higher temps and less smoke, especially during the latter part of the cook to caramelize the sugars a bit.

Well the wings turned out great and looked just like RDOwens' so no need for pics.

Took some into work - they vanished.

Thanks for the recipe Larry.

Originally posted by r benash:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hayden McCall:

Ditto!! No matter how you twist it, it comes out good! Can't wait for my next batch. Try this on pork chops too, it's killer. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Pork chops? You don't say. What...like these? LOL

Apricot-Pineapple Srirachi Pork Chops

Originally posted by Hayden McCall:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by r benash:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hayden McCall:

Ditto!! No matter how you twist it, it comes out good! Can't wait for my next batch. Try this on pork chops too, it's killer. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Pork chops? You don't say. What...like these? LOL

Apricot-Pineapple Srirachi Pork Chops </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was thinking of these:

SRI Chops

End of this thread Apple brined, then used a Hot mango chutney and black raspberry into the basic recipe sans orange marm.

Your apricot pineapple look great too!

Larry,

Wings Wings Wings! They turned out great. Cast Iron Grates made this happen. Without the searing of all that sugar these would of been just "OK" however, the grates burnt the glaze to perfection like creme brulee
icon_biggrin.gif
Thank you for BOTH. The story on your grate experience with customer service and your recipe. Keep them coming
icon_wink.gif
Below are some pics. Enjoy

Take the lid off!!
3997057589_7838e6dc64.jpg

4030984355_e6347de75b.jpg

4030983975_52406601a7.jpg

Thanks again,
Carl

Beautiful Carl!!! Now the fun will begin when it's time to clean off all of the burnt sugar from the grates!!! That's the part I hate!!!

Thank Larry. I was going to follow these instructions to clean via website.
Cleaning your Cast Iron Grate

After cooking, scrape the whole grill with the Iron handle or favorite grill brush. Next time, fire up the grill to a high temperature, the oil and residue will burn away like in a self cleaning oven.
Always leave the vents of your grill open to allow air circulating. This prevents moisture from collecting, which can cause rust.

So I am waiting on next time i fire up the grill to see if this sugar will burn off like a self cleaning oven.. LOL!

Originally posted by Carl Anthony:

So I am waiting on next time i fire up the grill to see if this sugar will burn off like a self cleaning oven.. LOL!

Oh, it will. I took a chimney full of lit, and covered it with half a chimney of unlit. I put the lid on, then slid it off to the side about an inch. I pinned the needle of the Performer's lid thermometer round trip to the right side of zero. Everything on the grates incinerated. LOL When you finish your cook, leave all the residue on it. That actually protects the cast iron, believe it or not. When you superheat the grate at the start of the next cook, it'll all come off with ease. Larry was giving me grief the other day because my grate looked "too" clean. LOL

Back