Orange Marmalade Sriracha Wings

Hello guys I have a small problem.
This is my 2nd cook on my 18" grill and my problem is my temp will not go above 290deg. and has fallen back to 275 after 40 min.

1. I used the bottom charcoal unit and indirect heat. Covered the CC grill with alum and put on the food grill. Placed the wings as directed on the food grill and covered with the lid.
2. I did not use the middle unit. Wheres my temp? Thanks guys Tommy

Larry, i recieved the Recipe for the WRC yesterday, and made it today. My quisinart was missing a blade, so had to use the Blender. I wound up with a fine powder, and used it today 0n a rotisserie chicken and Wings.

What is the difference between the fine powder and having it be more granular?

BTW, I also made the wing sauce, and it was awesome

Regards,

Dave

Originally posted by David Miller:
Larry, i recieved the Recipe for the WRC yesterday, and made it today. My quisinart was missing a blade, so had to use the Blender. I wound up with a fine powder, and used it today 0n a rotisserie chicken and Wings.

What is the difference between the fine powder and having it be more granular?

BTW, I also made the wing sauce, and it was awesome

Regards,

Dave

Dave,
Texture will more than likely be the biggest difference and it may loose it's potency while grilling since the smaller particles will burn off quicker than the more coarse pieces. Shouldn't be a huge difference at all.

As long as you are on the subject, what if the spices were not mixed in a machine at all, but just mixed well by hand? (I've never used raw sugar, can you tell?)

Originally posted by Dave/G:
As long as you are on the subject, what if the spices were not mixed in a machine at all, but just mixed well by hand? (I've never used raw sugar, can you tell?)

It should be fine Dave. If it tastes fine when mixed by hand, it will be fine.

The main purpose in mixing in a mixer was to sorta break down the sugar. But not turn it into powder, but it kinda reduced the size and thoroughly mixed the rest of the rubs.

Originally posted by Hayden McCall:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Carl Anthony:

So I am waiting on next time i fire up the grill to see if this sugar will burn off like a self cleaning oven.. LOL!

Oh, it will. I took a chimney full of lit, and covered it with half a chimney of unlit. I put the lid on, then slid it off to the side about an inch. I pinned the needle of the Performer's lid thermometer round trip to the right side of zero. Everything on the grates incinerated. LOL When you finish your cook, leave all the residue on it. That actually protects the cast iron, believe it or not. When you superheat the grate at the start of the next cook, it'll all come off with ease. Larry was giving me grief the other day because my grate looked "too" clean. LOL </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Does this help burn everything out of the bottom of the bowl as well? I have more gunk built up in the bottom then i care to look at. I had thought about doing a nuclear bomb type burn off but if it's not going to clean up the bottom i didn't want to waste the coals.

Does this help burn everything out of the bottom of the bowl as well? I have more gunk built up in the bottom then i care to look at. I had thought about doing a nuclear bomb type burn off but if it's not going to clean up the bottom i didn't want to waste the coals.

Save your WMD for when you really need it. I learned the hard way. After several times chipping the "Candy" off the bottom bowl and stuck vents,
icon_mad.gif
I now place a sheet of Aluminium Foil down the the side and on the coal grate. After the wings are pulled I rotate the cooking grate 180* and let the coals cook off the sticky bits. Give the grate a good wire brushing and it's good to go for the next time.

Allright. I'm making these again today - this time with Peach Preserves. No WRC on hand. Can anyone recommend a simple rub or marinade?

Gorgeous weather here in the DC area - sunny with highs expected to be in the mid 60's. A great day to fire up the grill!

Originally posted by JimK:
Allright. I'm making these again today - this time with Peach Preserves. No WRC on hand. Can anyone recommend a simple rub or marinade?

Gorgeous weather here in the DC area - sunny with highs expected to be in the mid 60's. A great day to fire up the grill!

Jim, you can use salt and pepper or a little Seasoned Salt. If you're going to the store pick up a bottle of Stubbs Lime Rub.

YOU"RE OUT OF Wolfe Rub Citrus? That's WRONG on every level!!! LOL I'm out of Wolfe Rub Bold, I wish someone would make some for me.....

Ditto on the weather!! I gotta turkey on and a batch of wings that have been marinating in Adobo Chipotle overnight that will be grilled to watch the Skins spank Philly in a couple hours!!!! LOL

Originally posted by Larry Wolfe:
I gotta turkey on and a batch of wings that have been marinating in Adobo Chipotle overnight that will be grilled to watch the Skins spank Philly in a couple hours!!!! LOL
The Skins were robbed or they stink. Lets see those wings please.

Originally posted by Dave/G:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Larry Wolfe:
I gotta turkey on and a batch of wings that have been marinating in Adobo Chipotle overnight that will be grilled to watch the Skins spank Philly in a couple hours!!!! LOL
The Skins were robbed or they stink. Lets see those wings please. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The wings 'looked' great......but they sucked! I've heard many people recommend this Goya Adodo stuff and let me tell you I DO NOT LIKE IT! Kinda reminds me of Paprika soaked in oil....
icon_mad.gif

HA! I completely forgot the brown sugar, and they were still good! Seasoned first with Weber zesty lemon seasoning.

PB290180.jpg

PB290185.jpg

PB290192.jpg

Love this stuff!!!

Ik made these today and they were a great hit, I cut down on the Sriracha sauce, I had my niece taste the sauce while adding it until she thought it was ok. If I have to rely on what I think is spicy I end up eating them all myself because they are too hot
icon_biggrin.gif

orangesrirachawings1.jpg

orangesrirachawings2.jpg

orangesrirachawings3.jpg

orangesrirachawings4.jpg

orangesrirachawings5.jpg

I did the recipe this evening, using chicken legs instead of wings. I'm not a super spicy blow your chili head off kind of guy (although my wife does like spicy) and we really enjoyed them. Definitely will make them again!

I haven't read every post here so I wasn't sure about how everyone had applied the rub. I dusted the chicken and worked some rub under the skin before going on the grill(I didn't have Wolfe rub, but I did have a sample of a citrus rub from another source. I'll get the real thing soon so I can try them the way god intended)

I've heard many people recommend this Goya Adodo stuff and let me tell you I DO NOT LIKE IT! Kinda reminds me of Paprika soaked in oil....
icon_mad.gif

I'll be honest. I like it, but whenever I marinade with it, I usually end up rubbing/sprinkling the meat with some cumin and chili powder to kick it up a bit.

Originally posted by JimK:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Larry Wolfe:
I've heard many people recommend this Goya Adodo stuff and let me tell you I DO NOT LIKE IT! Kinda reminds me of Paprika soaked in oil....
icon_mad.gif

I'll be honest. I like it, but whenever I marinade with it, I usually end up rubbing/sprinkling the meat with some cumin and chili powder to kick it up a bit. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jim, which version do you use? Because like I said, I see ALOT of people post about it that love it....maybe I bought the wrong one..I had the chipotle one. For the record, my daughter loved them and at 9 wings......
icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JimK:
icon_mad.gif

I'll be honest. I like it, but whenever I marinade with it, I usually end up rubbing/sprinkling the meat with some cumin and chili powder to kick it up a bit. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jim, which version do you use? Because like I said, I see ALOT of people post about it that love it....maybe I bought the wrong one..I had the chipotle one. For the record, my daughter loved them and at 9 wings......
icon_biggrin.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Haven't tried the Chipotle. I've just used the 'regular' citrus/garlic version.

Back