Orange Marmalade Sriracha Wings

Originally posted by Larry Wolfe:
A little star anise and five spice powder would have worked great with that combo too on the wings AND PORK CHOPS!!!

I don't think so. Only because I went overboard with the five spice one time and my wife refuses to let me near the stuff anymore.
icon_biggrin.gif

But yeah, your glaze is a great foundation for a few different things. And you're right pork would be great. I've done a similar glaze with pork tenderloins and its great. Don't see why not for chops or Spares, for that matter. Actually, your high heat spares then glazed would be good. I know some purists like the ribs just as they come, but it would be a good thing to test out.

I'm downstairs in my office (the kitchen) making up batches of different varieties of this stuff. I'm a bona fide junkie. There's just no way of getting around it. It's a fact. I got a handful of squeeze bottles to store the stuff in. I just finished the apricot-pineapple and the red raspberry. The peach is on deck, followed by a wild blueberry. I'm in total test kitchen mode. LOL With 8 lbs. of wings in the fridge, I'm going to OD on this stuff over the next couple days.

Originally posted by G Dechaine:
Chris in Cameron Park said:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">That is a shiny grate and a tidy workstation!

This was the maiden voyage for my Performer. The grate isn't as shiny anymore, but I keep the workstation in good shape. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I run a tight ship too where keeping my grill clean is concerned. These wings will put that to the test everytime, however. LOL They're just an absolute mess. The next time I make my wings, I'm using drip pans or foil under the cooking grate so I don't have a metric ton of grill candy gracing the bottom of my kettle. You can barely move the blades of the ash pan when things get fouled up down there.

I've gotten into a habit where once a week, I light up better than a chimney of charcoal to a full blaze and spread it out over the entire charcoal grate, open the vents wide open, and just let it burn. Gives me a great opportunity to get the grate back up to par and get it well oiled, and it loosens up all the garbage on the base of the kettle and makes it easier to scrape the residue off the top of the kettle too. I use Barkeeper's Friend on the stainless steel deck (as well as my All-Clad pots and pans), and when all is said and done, you can't tell my Performer is a year old, much less 10.

This sauce is killer. I made chicken thighs one night and some pork steaks the next night using this sauce and both turned out awesome. Thinking this is probably going to be my go to sauce for potlucks and get togethers.

Anybody know how long this sauce will keep in the refrigerator?

Originally posted by John Solak:
This sauce is killer. I made chicken thighs one night and some pork steaks the next night using this sauce and both turned out awesome. Thinking this is probably going to be my go to sauce for potlucks and get togethers.

Glad you liked it John! When you mentioned pot luck, you made a light bulb go off in my head! (Normally there's just static in my head) This sauce might be good with meatballs simmered in it! You know, kinda like the normal 'chili sauce/grape jelly' ones that everyone makes for every pot luck! This would add a new twist to the average meatballs!

This sauce might be good with meatballs simmered in it!

Or sausage (cocktail style), use it as a dipping sauce for cheese cubes, drizzled over cream cheese block and used as a spread for crackers...

Paul

Originally posted by John Solak:

I'm not quite sure it needs to BE refrigerated. The sriracha, honey, brown sugar and jam are all things I've never refrigerated before. As long as it's in a cool, dark spot, it should be fine...in my opinion.

Making up a batch today (as we speak). Just curious what brand of O Marm you guys are using. I'm using Dundee, which is good but doesn't have as much rind present. I'm sure it will be fine, but I like more rind for presentation and perhpas some added flavor/orange bite.

First round using the home made Citurs rub too. Was all out of my last bottle from Larry.

Originally posted by r benash:
Making up a batch today (as we speak). Just curious what brand of O Marm you guys are using. I'm using Dundee, which is good but doesn't have as much rind present. I'm sure it will be fine, but I like more rind for presentation and perhpas some added flavor/orange bite.

First round using the home made Citurs rub too. Was all out of my last bottle from Larry.

Ray, I used the generic 'Bloom Brand', good enough for me!

Larry - I did my first batch of the Orange Marmalade Sriracha Wings last night for a "patio-gate" party during the Auburn - Mississippi State game.

I did a batch plain smoked and a batch with the sauce since there are a few of us who like the spice and others who don't. In fact, when I was making the sauce, my wife said "you're not making up something hot are you?" Naaah - just a little kick.

As it turned out, the Orange/Sriracha wings were a huge hit with everybody and probably were the best wings I've ever cooked.

Great recipe Larry (and some great wings from the Piggly Wiggly - "Pig" chicken is the best!)

Thanks again Larry!

Pat

Making up a batch today (as we speak). Just curious what brand of O Marm you guys are using. I'm using Dundee, which is good but doesn't have as much rind present. I'm sure it will be fine, but I like more rind for presentation and perhaps some added flavor/orange bite.

First round using the home made Citrus rub too. Was all out of my last bottle from Larry.

Here's the pics:

OM OG Sriracha

Larry certainly has a classic with this one! My mod was to add about 6 oz of Onion Garlic jam to the recipe. Glad I did.

Well done Larry! Have some glaze left which I'll probably use on boneless chicken breast or on some thick cut pork chops that I picked up today.

Next time - going to use black raspberry base and do Asian style spices. Say with some star anise, five spice, ginger, etc. Perhaps try it on some ribs.

Not a criticism, just an observation - you could cut the sugars back probably by about half since the jellies/marmalade have plenty. The turbinado, honey, and brown sugar add some nice notes though. For when your want a looser glaze that doesn't "candy up" as much.

That said - Marianne and I both thought these were great. If my son was home I know he'd love them too. The heat is perfect. I like things really hot, so there some room in the base recipe for changing heat and type. For example I see chopping up some whole jalapeno's as a big opportunity here. I think they would add a nice note.

A good strong molasses might work good here as well subbed in for some of the other sugars.

Used Royal Oak briquettes today, trying to conserve on my last two bags of lump until I get around to picking up another load. Have these around for minion starts.

Thanks for sharing Larry!

Well it looks like Larry has started a thread that will go on for years. A good recipe will do that, just like like RSC.

I've been reading these posts and can't wait to try it. Hayden mentions subbing out the marmalade with raspberry - I recall trying Fischer & Wieser roasted raspberry chipotle sauce a few years ago. It wasn't too spicy but very tasty. That could have some potential.

My first attempt will use the marmalade. Hoping that wings go on sale soon
icon_biggrin.gif

I've been reading these posts and can't wait to try it. Hayden mentions subbing out the marmalade with raspberry - I recall trying Fischer & Wieser roasted raspberry chipotle sauce a few years ago. It wasn't too spicy but very tasty. That could have some potential.

My first attempt will use the marmalade. Hoping that wings go on sale soon
icon_biggrin.gif

So far, I've done this recipe with the orange marmalade, red raspberry, apricot/pineapple, and peach cinnamon. All of them were unique...and fantastic. Raspberry is my favorite. It's just so friggin' good.

Originally posted by G Dechaine:
Originally posted by Larry Wolfe:
But yeah, your glaze is a great foundation for a few different things. And you're right pork would be great. I've done a similar glaze with pork tenderloins and its great. Don't see why not for chops or Spares, for that matter. Actually, your high heat spares then glazed would be good. I know some purists like the ribs just as they come, but it would be a good thing to test out.

Stuff works great on pork. Did you see my thread on chops? They were amazing.

Not a criticism, just an observation - you could cut the sugars back probably by about half since the jellies/marmalade have plenty. The turbinado, honey, and brown sugar add some nice notes though. For when your want a looser glaze that doesn't "candy up" as much.

I agree Ray!

Your version of the bottled WRC sure looks like you nailed it! How did it compare?

BTW, your wings looked absolutely perfect!

Thanks Larry - WRC came out really good. I'm thinking of jacking up the quantity on the citrus granules a little next time, but otherwise the basic recipe works great. Want it to sit awhile in the jar first before I decide to make that change though. I'm thinking the citrus flavor will permeate the more it sits.

Hayden - thanks. I leave the grate/s over the coals out unless I am going to use that area. When I was done with the wings I took a Raichlen grate lifter and used it to lift the whole assembly (ring and two grates), spin it over the fire at let the glaze burn of a bit, then all that stuff came of easily with the SS brush. This lifter makes it really easy to handle the CI grates wither single element or entire unit. With two lifters you can even lift a fully loaded grate system and set it aside or turn it as needed. More versatile than the lifter that comes with the set.

Images of Lifter

Back