Open/Shut Vents When Not in Use

BrianGross

Wanting to get some opinions on this. Newer 22.5 owner here, and I've been able to shut everything down and have charcoal leftover for the next cook. Some people here seem to leave vents open when not in use, others close them. My question is this: charcoal has a tendency to absorb moisture, from what I've read, so if the vents are open, would that lessen the effectiveness of left-over coals? However, I am assuming people leave vents open to allow airflow/prevent mold growth?

Thanks!!

I keep the vents closed. Cook about every other week. Never had any mold. I store mine in the garage.

I keep the vents open. Cook about every other week. Never had any mold. I store mine in the garage.

Very seldom have left over solid coals. If I do they are overwhelmed by new stuff anyways so it doesn't matter.

Last edited:
I close my vents to keep the remaining fuel, never open them back up and I've never had mold.

Last edited:
I too am a newbie when it comes to smoking with the WSM but I leave my vents open when not is use and store the smoker in the garage.

Vents open for ventilation after the burn is suffocated.
Weber thinks ventilation is good as well, since they build in ventilation panels on some of their grill covers.

Thanks, everyone! I keep my on my deck, and use it at least once a week(so far). Once we get into the fall, I'll move it to the garage for storage, and take it out when needed.

I think I'm going to close the vents--since its outside, especially since it appears mold growth isnt an issue. FYI...I also have a cover for it, but there are no vent panels on my cover.

Open in a covered walkway with the cover on. Humidity is a huge factor for me no mold but I use it once a week or so and have had it for less then a year.

I close my vents after a cook, an hour later, I can usually put my hand on the bowl. Throw the cover on it with the vents shut. I almost always have coal leftover. If you leave them open, even after you think the coal is out, you are probably smoldering away good coals. Waste of money.

On my mini I leave the vents closed after shut down, but I take the unburned coals out and store them in a sealed metal can and clean out all the ash. I reuse the coals for the performer as I always put to much in the mini.

I'm leaving my vents closed when not in use if for no other reason than making sure any curious little critters stay out.

The only mold I think you have to worry about is the mold you get if you use water in the defuser and don't dump it, or if you leave drippings in it.

Back