Ooni Karu 12

DanHoo

TVWBB Olympian
The ooni was a Christmas gift. Unexpected, not on my wishlist, yet I think I'll have fun with it.

Pizza is on deck for TNF. If I'm lucky I will hit this out of the park, but I'm really hoping not to foul out or land in the penalty box.

20221227_165154.jpg

20221228_232508.jpg

20221228_212708.jpg

20221228_230940.jpg

20221228_231944.jpg

You can buy an awful lot of pizzas for $400, I hope it's worth the expenditure. I'm not a huge fan of unitaskers and still have some to be shed of that were wedding presents including a juicer and a bread making machine.

Congratulations! Many folks could never bring home carryout from a pizza establishment that could come close to what you will do, especially given that you're making your dough. Kudos to your family for gifting this to you and good luck! I've seen online sites where people use these for more than pizza, too.

I’m impressed with the pizzas that I see here! I have done a few but, nothing like what you have shared. If someone gifted me one, sure I’d dive in. I’m not sure I could justify buying one for myself but, they are interesting units!

You can buy an awful lot of pizzas for $400, I hope it's worth the expenditure. I'm not a huge fan of unitaskers and still have some to be shed of that were wedding presents including a juicer and a bread making machine.
20 $20 pies

Or 40 $10 pies

Neither are a lot for a family. IIRC a decent homemade pie runs around $1 for Italian flour, sauce and toppings, for a 10 incher, or so.

I have the Karu 12 wish I had waited for the 16 Karu but this pizza oven works great and you can get a 10 inch cast iron skillet in it to sear a steak or whatever you want!

I use OONI ovens for years and I’m very satisfied with the quality. With some practice you can create incredible pizza esp. Neapolitan style works great due to the very high heat.

Can’t wait to see some final pizzas from you! :cool:

I use OONI ovens for years and I’m very satisfied with the quality. With some practice you can create incredible pizza esp. Neapolitan style works great due to the very high heat.

Can’t wait to see some final pizzas from you! :cool:
Jan, please add a link to an authentic hunter sauce to my pork schnitzel thread I posted last night 😁😁😁 I will forever appreciate it.

Now that is a nice gift loved the video. I agree with what Brett said about payback if the kids were still home we would have over the years paid for that thing maybe 5 times over not to mention dragging them out to a restuarant and babysitting them.

Why do we need to calculate ROI's on cooking equipment, isn't the self gratitude of making something better then a restaurant more enjoyable....
for me, it's not the ROI solely, it's about the value proposition. as in will i use "this" enough to drive value from it?

it's why i struggle when i look at the $2600 pizza oven i have my eyes on. i still haven't bought it.

i just bought 4 copies of Salt, Fat, Acid Heat. one for each of my 3 children and one for myself. i view this as a lifetime investment book as it delves deep into cooking basics of why and how the cooking science works. sue it has recipes, but that's just bonus. understanding how ingredients work are the building blocks to a lifetime of cooking.

for me, it's not the ROI solely, it's about the value proposition. as in will i use "this" enough to drive value from it?

it's why i struggle when i look at the $2600 pizza oven i have my eyes on. i still haven't bought it.

i just bought 4 copies of Salt, Fat, Acid Heat. one for each of my 3 children and one for myself. i view this as a lifetime investment book as it delves deep into cooking basics of why and how the cooking science works. sue it has recipes, but that's just bonus. understanding how ingredients work are the building blocks to a lifetime of cooking.
I too have been doing a lot of research on some $1.5-$3.5K pizza ovens, but at the end of the day I settled for the Karu 12. I can't justify that kind of coin, but I can $400.

I too have been doing a lot of research on some $1.5-$3.5K pizza ovens, but at the end of the day I settled for the Karu 12. I can't justify that kind of coin, but I can $400.
and that's why i still haven't bought one. hopefully i'll dial in my island for this summer and that'll help me decide what i want in the backyard.

i do like the Ooni 16 and have been learning about them.

and that's why i still haven't bought one. hopefully i'll dial in my island for this summer and that'll help me decide what i want in the backyard.

i do like the Ooni 16 and have been learning about them.
The main reason I chose to not to go with the Kaur 16, was it's size, to big of a footprint. The 12 can be stored away in something like a deck box.

Back