One Hot Sauce To Rule Them All?

I love to use it on steaks. Coat both sides of the steak with Chipotle Tobasco, let it work for a couple of hours follows by SPG. Grill over charcoal with red oak.
Wow - I never thought about putting hot sauce on a steak but I could see maybe putting it on a ribeye - I think the ribeye can stand up to some pretty agressive spices....

Obviously, this is dependent upon the meat grade, if I an grilling “prime grade” ribeye’s this isn’t going to happen.

I have a question for those of you who like Tabasco. I'm not questioning your taste -- you like what you like -- but to me Tabasco has a distinct, pervasive flavor I find overpowers virtually everything I put it in, no matter how little Tabasco in how much chili (or whatever). One drop of Tabasco in a bowl of chili and I can tell there's Tabasco in there. It's not a horrible flavor, it's just that, to me, it becomes the predominant flavor. I spent hours developing complex flavor in that pot of chili and with one drop of Tabasco it's all faded into the background. I've not found any other hot sauce that does this.

So my question, well, a couple questions, are: is it like this for you and do you like this flavor so much you're happy to have it in whatever you put the Tabasco on?

Tabasco does not go in everything.....especially chili in my case. Usually not in Mexican dishes either.
Its great in drinks, taters, eggs....all breakfast, along with many other things.
It is a powerful sauce in taste but I love the simple ingredient taste.
As far as something like chili goes, for me I would add a pure heat only sauce.....like Blair's, da bomb or mad dog or something along those lines.

My go to’s are-
Marie Sharps Beware
El Yucateco Chile Habanero
Tabasco Original for Bloody Marys and gumbo/jambalaya

Hi Anne

I found this recipe for making Sambal Oelek, and it looks easy enough. Question for you, the woman in the video goes to the effort of removing the skin from the tomato. Do you think it's necessary since it get ran through the processor?

Bit late...
Anyway, if you add tomato to sambal oelek, it becomes sambal tomat!
That doesn't answer your question. I make most of my sambals in a pestle and mortar, so there are always bits and pieces of skin, so in that case I wouldn't bother.
If you want a smooth sauce, there will be a difference. You can actually quite easily grate the tomato. Almost all skin will stay behind.

Bit late...
Anyway, if you add tomato to sambal oelek, it becomes sambal tomat!
That doesn't answer your question. I make most of my sambals in a pestle and mortar, so there are always bits and pieces of skin, so in that case I wouldn't bother.
If you want a smooth sauce, there will be a difference. You can actually quite easily grate the tomato. Almost all skin will stay behind.
Thanks Anne

Sambal Tomat it is :)

I have a question for those of you who like Tabasco. I'm not questioning your taste -- you like what you like -- but to me Tabasco has a distinct, pervasive flavor I find overpowers virtually everything I put it in, no matter how little Tabasco in how much chili (or whatever). One drop of Tabasco in a bowl of chili and I can tell there's Tabasco in there. It's not a horrible flavor, it's just that, to me, it becomes the predominant flavor. I spent hours developing complex flavor in that pot of chili and with one drop of Tabasco it's all faded into the background. I've not found any other hot sauce that does this.

So my question, well, a couple questions, are: is it like this for you and do you like this flavor so much you're happy to have it in whatever you put the Tabasco on?
Yes.
Sometimes that distinctive Tabasco flavor is the only one that works in/on particular food.
That being said, I rarely use it in chili, except for maybe a splash of the Chipotle. I use my own hot sauce for that. I spend a lot of time on my chili too. If you're going to pour in an overwhelming hot sauce, might as well make the chili from a mix, because you're killing the flavors.

I just ordered one too. I always get Beware but it’s way too hot for the wife. She does like the flavor, hopefully she’ll be able to handle the milder version.
Clint hasn't posted in over a year now, but Beware was his hot sauce of choice.
ChuckO seems to like it too. I'm sure it's way to hot for me.

It’s very hot, the black label one was what got me on to this brand.
I enjoyed it first eat and it made me literally drip sweat from my face.
Levels 2 to 3 you can use liberally so they are my go to here in the house.
White label and gold label........

This one makes a good marinade (imho)

sIAANb4.jpg
I was going to say any Peri-Peri from S. Africa. You beat me to it. But there are different heat levels, if I remember correctly. If you've got the hottest, try it slowly. We've been a hot sauce family from before it was popular. Way back then, I thought nothing of slabbing on the hottest Peri-Peri onto the skewered grilled meat chunks I was about to eat. I recall needing to down 8 full pitchers of ice cold water afterward to regain a sense of normalcy in my mouth and to stop my eyes and nose from running.

Back