One big brisket

I just bought a 15.6 lb brisket Prime ar Costco yesterday for cook later this month. And I am going to feed 45 to 60 people with this, I could feed a whole town with one that size...

I just bought a 15.6 lb brisket Prime ar Costco yesterday for cook later this month. And I am going to feed 45 to 60 people with this, I could feed a whole town with one that size...
They must eat like birds! A 15 pounder would feed ten around here!
That is a monster brisket Tony, enjoy it!
I need to get one out of the freezer and have a few folks over!

that's 5.54 oz per person pre cook weight, minus 25% loss due to shrinkage and trimming, you're at 4.16 oz per person, which is around one slice of brisket.

i am confused by your math. my calcs are at 45 people for your 15.6# brisket.

average person eats 8-12 oz of cooked brisket. if they like bbq, and smoked meats, that "average" person will eat 16 to 20 oz per person from my own experiences and budgeting.

please expand on your post. i seek to learn something.

EDIT: some friends tell me their going to wear stretchy pants when they come over for bbq. all to maximize their opportunity.

Last edited:
They must eat like birds! A 15 pounder would feed ten around here!
That is a monster brisket Tony, enjoy it!
I need to get one out of the freezer and have a few folks over!
i think cooking a frozen brisket would be one heck of an experiment. it's gotta be good. holding all that moisture as it slowly comes to temp and cooks.

Ummm.... What @Brett-EDH said.

I've done a few cooks for 60-70 people. Granted, we ALWAYS had a few leftovers. Generally 2 16-20 lb. packer briskets, a couple of pork butts and 4 chickens. My personal opinion is that you're rather significantly underestimating this, unless you've got a massive pile of other food coming in.

That was not my idea but, now that you say it…..
based off my recent NY strips cook. yeah, the brisket will take hella longer, but so what. put it on earlier and keep it 250F. i need to read and learn more why the NY steaks came out so tender from freezer to WSK, smoke and cook.

based off my recent NY strips cook. yeah, the brisket will take hella longer, but so what. put it on earlier and keep it 250F. i need to read and learn more why the NY steaks came out so tender from freezer to WSK, smoke and cook.
I’m listening…
I’m not sure I could squeeze the 18 pounder on in frozen state, the thermometer could go in pretty much anytime after the thing thaws so, the reasoning may be sound.

Back