OMG what did I do

Michael Cowley

Well I will tell you... I just bought an 18.5 WSM and a 22.5 WSM! thats what I just did. I have a massive cook coming up it went from 11 people to 30 people word spreads way to fast... Anyway I am debating on what to cook? I am thinking the following.

2- 5lb Boston butts Cherry Dr Pepper injected with a Cherry Dr Pepper BBQ sauce.
2- 5lb Boston butts using lilly's champion injection and rub.. But what sauce to use??

for appetizers im gonna make

30 or so chicken ABT's using sweet chili peppers cause they dnt like the hot stuff.

Beef short ribs- this im scared of because i have never made them and dont even know how they come in a package? Can they be found as a whole slab and just cut after being cooked using the 3-2-1 method?

I Also thought about making a few fatties but dont know the best kind to make

Hey Michael !

Man, with a WSM, you simply CANNOT forget to make some back pork RIBS !!

Beef ribs are great too, but personnally i prefer pork (and it's cheaper !!)

The only way you can miss back ribs is by being in a hurry (and undercook them) .... i am telling, you have to try back pork ribs !

It is sooooo simple !

1 - Put a dry rub on
2 - smoke those baby for 3-4 hours
3 - wrap in foil and add 70ml of a 50/50 beer/apple juice (until meat wanna start to fall of the bone 45min to 90min)
4 - unfoil, mop with your favorite sauce (i got a great recipe if you want one homemade)
5 - caramelize the sauce on ur bbq !

if its a big rack with lot of meat, its gonna be around 4 hour and then 90 min in foil ... if the rack is small, maybe 3 hours and 45-60 min in foil !

YOU HAVE TO TRY !!

Michael, take it easy. That's way too complicated of a plan for the spirit of bbq. Have one too many drinks, and there's no telling what'll go wrong.
icon_wink.gif

No seriously, Regarding injections, mops, spritzs and such....it's small details that don't add up to huge differences in flavor most of the time. Usually the biggest difference is in saltiness, especially Chris Lilly injections, and you can always add salt to the pork after pulling if you want that.

Larger pieces of meat will tend to hold moisture better and some argue that the flavor will be better as well. On my 18.5" wsm, I smoke 7-9lb butts, two to a rack, never anything smaller than 7 pounds, and usually eight or better.

Regarding the stuffed peppers, if you core the jalapenos out good and remove the light colored ribbing, you'd be surprised how tame they usually are in heat. I'd leave the pepper ribs in if cooking for chili heads.

Good luck with it, and if you can keep it fun with so much going on, go for it. You could say I'm in the "K-I-S-S" camp.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Michael Cowley:
2- 5lb Boston butts using lilly's champion injection and rub.. But what sauce to use??
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My suggestion is to make it easy on yourself and go to the supermarket, pick up half a dozen bottles of commercial BBQ sauce.

Get some well-known brands and some not-so-well-known.
Variety is the spice of life!

Louis I wanted Baby backs but my girl said she wants beef short ribs and we all know if momma aint happy noone is happy. besides were doing babies to break in the new smokers on sunday. Ill do ribs in the 18 incher and Chuckie in the 22 incher. I have to get them both broke in for temp cntrol.

Do you guys suggest I use sand or water??

hi again,

with butt you can use an empty pan but with ribs, my opinion is that you MUST use water because there is simply not enough fat ...

But, again, if you full your WSM and also add water, you might have some problem to get the temps up ... i remember the first time i fulled it up ... around 10 racks of ribs, 1 butt, and a small ham, it was reaaaallly hard to get the temp above 200. WIthout water it is much easier, i even have to shut some of the vents. When i do that, i try to spray water once in a while through the door or the top .

don't forget to post some pics when your done

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Michael Cowley:
...Ill do ribs in the 18 incher and Chuckie in the 22 incher. I have to get them both broke in for temp cntrol.

Do you guys suggest I use sand or water?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Michael, unless smoking a ton of chuckies and planning on halving the rib racks or rolling/skewering, I'd actually do the ribs and chuckies in opposite cookers. I cook on the 18.5", and since I started doing half slabs of ribs, the ones on the ends started getting cooked much more evenly.

I'd suggest foiling the chuckies in the 160*'s and giving them plenty of time. It's been a long time since I smoked any, but I know they take a lot longer than you'd think to reach tenderness. The foil will speed it up some and even though they have a lot of fat to render, it is possible to dry 'em out, so I'd go with foiling if it was me.

Honestly, I've never used sand in the pan, but it obviously has it's proponents. From what I read though, is that you want a space between the bottom of the cooker and a heat sink, so if going waterless, I'd use a clay pot base instead.

However, for the 18.5", the first thing you oughta get is the Brinkman (el cheapo brinkman-ECB) water smoker CHARCOAL pan, (not the water pan!), in lieu of the newer weber water pan, which is too deep because the old one was too shallow...lol..(The pre-09 water pan is from the Weber Smokey Joe lid blank, and the new one is from the bowl blank of the same little grill.) Anyway, the Brinkman pan is only about $5 at Academy Sports (Nashville) or you can order it online, I'm sure. Then you can get a 12" clay pot base cheap from Home Depot. The ECB pan won't tip over since the bottom is flat, and you'll get easier access to the charcoal/wood, also adding room for long cooks. I don't EVER have to add fuel to my cooker, even using water in the pan, and I rarely cook less than two grates worth of butts/brisket.

Regardless though, I'd suggest using HOT WATER in your pans for now, at least til you get some seasoning build up. WSM's typically run hotter at first. Mine is so tight and seasoned that generally speaking: if I want to smoke over 250*, I can't use water. If I want to go over 275*, no clay pot base in the pan, just a foiled pan...and it takes a cracked door for temps over 300*. I've used mine at least every other week though for going on two years...and it shows!
wsmsmile8gm.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Louis:
hi again,

with butt you can use an empty pan but with ribs, my opinion is that you MUST use water because there is simply not enough fat ...

But, again, if you full your WSM and also add water, you might have some problem to get the temps up ... i remember the first time i fulled it up ... around 10 racks of ribs, 1 butt, and a small ham, it was reaaaallly hard to get the temp above 200. WIthout water it is much easier, i even have to shut some of the vents. When i do that, i try to spray water once in a while through the door or the top .

don't forget to post some pics when your done </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why would you spray water in the cooker? Just curious.

Hi Michael, Good luck with the cook! From your changing wish list of foods, it sounds like we have similar tastes. If you haven't tried fatties before, I would recommend that you give them a taste test before cooking them for a crowd. My son and I tried them over the weekend. We did a pizza fatty & a bacon cheeseburger fatty. They were fun to make and came out looking good, but neither of us really liked the taste very much. If you decide to make them, here are links to tutorials for making a fatty and for doing a bacon weave:

fatty tutorial: http://www.smokingmeatforums.c...n-a-fatty-my-version

bacon weave tutorial: http://majorleaguegrilling.com...1/06/27/bacon-weave/

Back