Old WSM: notch or grommet for temp probes?

I cut a notch in my WSM year’s ago but I rarely use it anymore. I used to use probes and monitor the cook but now I just fire it up, put on the food, and a little while later go probe around to see if it’s tender. In fact the picture on the right in Chris’ article on the subject it my cooker http://virtualweberbullet.com/cutting-a-probe-thermometer-slot.html. I don’t think I even have batteries in the Mav anymore. I’ve reasoned it really doesn’t matter what temp it is, if it isn’t probe tender it isn’t done. Ribs take about 4 hrs, briskets about 5 and butts all day.

When I first started using my 22 I used the port and hated it. After I got comfortable with the smoker I realized I didn't need the probe. WSM holds incredibly steady temps, and now I check for tenderness by feel or use a stick thermometer. If I ever went back to using anything needing a probe, I'll cut a notch.

I've notched my WSM's and Kettle, if I don't use the notch , I plug it with a small piece of wadded up aluminum foil.

But I use the notch, a lot.

Notch is way more convenient, dont require removing probes from meat/grate to remove top grate, easier to adjust if turning top grate too. Quicker, easier, means shorter lid open time.

Doesnt need to be big. 1/8" wide slot , 3/16" below lip surface will pass 2 wires to top grate, and is negligible even without them.

Last edited:

Back