Old School bbq roasted chicken halves

Awesome job, Rich and I do a lot of chicken. So many ways you can cook it. Great choice of seasoning.

Last edited:
I like the seasonings. Bet that was some great yardbird.
I buy the Bare brand, natural chicken at winco. The birds are balanced in size, unlike others which have those weird jumbo breasts. I like to salt brine them and let them rest on the counter so all the seasonings can penetrate the chicken. These were sitting around an hour, all seasoned up before hitting the grill. Really good bbq roasted birds.

Wait.. I thought old-fashioned bbq chicken was half burnt, half raw, and covered in open pit.
Yours looks awesome
Old-fashioned vs old school. Old school were simple flavors. Old fashioned was exactly as you described. I remember those days of blackened chicken (burnt skin) and raw meat. I’m pretty sure we’ve all served that up.

Last edited:
Awesome job, Rich and I do a lot of chicken. So many ways you can cook it. Great choice of seasoning.
That hint of thyme reminds me of the old KFC original bird from many many years ago. I haven’t been in a kfc in decades now so I don’t know if they even still sell the old recipe.

Some nice moist Chicken Brett
Pick up a Bare brand whole bird at Winco. I think you’ll be impressed by the quality. All natural and excellent flavor.

I prefer the Bare brand over just about all other whole birds, including Costco’s natural birds.

Remember, the term “natural” generally has NO basis in FDA compliance or quality.
Sorry to rain on the “Natural“ parade but, I didn’t make it up.
”Organic” has to meet some standards but, natural doesn’t need much oversight.

Remember, the term “natural” generally has NO basis in FDA compliance or quality.
Sorry to rain on the “Natural“ parade but, I didn’t make it up.
”Organic” has to meet some standards but, natural doesn’t need much oversight.
Call it what you want.

It’s just possibly the best whole chicken I buy and have cooked. And I’ve had a few birds in my lifetime.

My second favorite is Empire kosher whole chicken.

Back