Ok, so it IS possible…

Fraser

An experiment from a bit back: wanted to try to make Al Pastore tacos. I drilled a pizza pan and threaded and sharpened some SS rod.
IMG_0852.jpeg
Trimmed and sliced a small butt and after getting achiote absolutely everywhere, into the marinade.
IMG_0853.jpeg
Threaded everything on the Tex-rompo
IMG_0855.jpeg
And onto the smoker.
IMG_0856.jpeg
Then I used the back rotis burner on the gasser for a quick sear. Had to remove the grates & deflectors (ended up making several different length SS rods as well) to get the height right. Repeated the carve-sear routine a few times and (finally!)
IMG_0860.jpeg
Tacos!

As with all prototypes, there were teething issues, but worth it. Now that I have the setup worked out, next time should go smoother.

“If the women don’t find you handsome, they should find you handy”

It looks every bit as good if not better than the one I bought

Thank you all!
In my ‘hood I’m sometimes called “Mad BBQ Scientist” but I’m happy most of the time. And I’m no scientist, an ex-engineer. The BBQ part I’m kinda proud of, tho. Maybe they should call me “Merry BBQ Engineer”? Doesn’t quite roll off the tongue….

Thank you all!
In my ‘hood I’m sometimes called “Mad BBQ Scientist” but I’m happy most of the time. And I’m no scientist, an ex-engineer. The BBQ part I’m kinda proud of, tho. Maybe they should call me “Merry BBQ Engineer”? Doesn’t quite roll off the tongue….
I wish folks in my circle were as kind with their choice of terms for me!😉

With that hat I'm kinda surprised they don't call you the Court Jester of BBQ.;)

Back