OK Looky What I Landed This Afternoon

A
Hi @JeanaP my .02 of advice matches what @Steve Hoch wrote. Pick one, fix it up and cook on it.

My opinion from what I can see with your pictures is the Silver B without the side burner will be easier to get working first.

If you like the larger cart on the gold you'll need to find the end pieces that slide into the upper frame that holds the side table and swing up table. Once you have these, you can move the left hand swing up table and tray from the Silver B and install it on the Gold. My preference is Enamel lids vs stainless steel, and you could swap that to the Gold frame if you like that look or keep the stainless.

If you have room for an extra grill or two or three in storage, you can collect a couple more and "trade up" as you find colors you like etc.

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your weberitis.
This does make a lot of sense and after getting/seeing the silver B it would be easier to finish and get cooking on. I'm not opposed to collecting another to make the Gold complete later. I don't need the side burner and I do like the enamel now that I have it. Theses were grill #8 and 9 although some are portable and others are charcoal, so not too much duplication!

I appreciate your input

Those are both nice grills and are both worth restoring. I guess I would start with the one you like the best and complete it start to finish before moving on to the next one. I have acquired grills that ended up being parts grills because of issues that came up after I got home with them and examined them more closely. Those both appear to be keepers so maybe yet another grill for parts is in order?
Another grill for parts may very well be in order!

Yah, I started rehabbing 6 years ago. There has been a big drop off in rehab candidates available. Seems like the last two or three years have seen the biggest decline. But, they are still out there.

Same here. Fall 2021 there were many free or less than 50. Last year I didn't see nearly as many. My guess is a combination of higher priced new grills, less elective budget for grills and maybe fewer people moving.

That COVID money spurred a lot of spending and I think that is when a lot of people used it on things like new grills which pushed the Genesis 1000's and Silver B's to the curb in mass. Now things are kind or snapping back. Those that replaced grills over those years are good for several years now. Those covid payments also seemed to make rehabs very easy to move as well.

I was looking for grills all last season and wasn't able to find much in the way of Genesis 1000 grills until the fall when I finally found a decent Skyline and a platinum series. I have to say that I passed an awful lot of Silver B grills along the way that were still super cheap. I live in the Chicago suburbs so I think that having millions of people within short driving distance helps me with supply as long as it's there to begin with. I agree that the pandemic probably fueled the supply of older grills because people bought new ones, the sales numbers bear that out. I also think that due to age, Genesis 1000 models are getting harder to come by. I wish I had gotten into this just a few years earlier when I think I could have stocked up at least a little bit on some of the impossible to find parts and had a better selection of 1000's to choose from used.

When I rehabbed (very amateurishly) my first Weber - a Genesis 1100 redhead with a dented hood abandoned after a hurricane - it was still possible to readily get parts for these from Weber. That was in 2004, a long time ago. Now we classic grill fanatics are becoming the custodians of a growing percentage of the parts for these grills that remain.

I got out of the rehab business because the lack of restorable grills and got tired driving 200 miles tr to Phoenix to find anything worth restoring.
All I have left is my early 1985 Weber 2 for a 38 year old grill it's in remarkable shape. No rust and an easy restore basically everything is in great shape from the burners, flavorizer bars and even the porcelain coated grates are in great shape it needs new wood slates as they are not correct.
I would love to restore it but old age, bad feet and legs say no way.
I have tried to find someone who could do it justice but living in the mountains I can't seem to find anyone interested.101_7310.JPG

100_4513.JPG

101_7311.JPG

100_4507.JPG

100_4500.JPG

Attachments

• 101_7317.JPG
    101_7317.JPG
    235.9 KB · Views: 2
That is too bad. That grill looks remarkable for its age. A first generation, first year Genesis and that is very hard to find lid color. Regardless where you go with that grill, it does deserve a second chance. If you can sell it for $100 or so, it would likely wind up in the hands of someone who wants it to either continue using it as is or wants to rehab a classic.

That is too bad. That grill looks remarkable for its age. A first generation, first year Genesis and that is very hard to find lid color. Regardless where you go with that grill, it does deserve a second chance. If you can sell it for $100 or so, it would likely wind up in the hands of someone who wants it to either continue using it as is or wants to rehab a classic.
Yeah, I've tried selling it for as little as $50.00 with no takers or even inquiries. Once it warms up Barb and I are going to have a large garage sale and maybe if someone sees it in person that might trigger a response. Might be the economy that's stopping someone from buying it, with inflation I think a lot of people are backing off on spending on non-essential items.
I would like to at least get it fired up and the wood replaced.
But like Barb said why put more money and time into it and you can't even give it away.

Rich, if there were only some realistic way to get it so far from me to you...That has to be among the VERY FIRST Genesis grills made. In all the old ones I have seen, none have that control panel. I am guessing it was from the very original run.

My original Genesis has that panel (or at least had). It was destroyed when those roofing contractors crushed it at my son in law's house. Had the full on meat temp charts and everything. Only it had the gray colored knobs not the black

Rich, if there were only some realistic way to get it so far from me to you...That has to be among the VERY FIRST Genesis grills made. In all the old ones I have seen, none have that control panel. I am guessing it was from the very original run.
If I remember correctly, it's one of the first 1000 made.

Should look like this without the side burner with a shelf instead.

X2lnIE7.jpg

That is a beautiful grill Rich! I would love to have it myself so don't get discouraged. You will find the right person for that classic, try advertising it again as one of the "first Weber gas grills ever made" on offer up, craigslist, and Facebook marketplace. Use a picture of that advertisement in the ad as well and I think you will get a taker!

Back