OK Looky What I Landed This Afternoon

I have 3 mixers for customers on the bench that because of parts orders and my being ill all last week, are gonna need me going "full blast" on getting them done. I have the disgusting one on the bench right now. Parts and my grease all came in for it. So it's my first priority, then I have a Pro 600 with a stripped out gear box and cracked housing. Got the new gear case for it so it's next. And last, I have a person's Artisan (tilt head) with a busted control lever (won't stay turned off). Haven't opened yet so not sure of parts situation on it. Though I likely have everything in sock for that one. Since last year I had an Artisan come in, that had to be scrapped. Weird thing. It was one of those crinkle gray finished ones (I hate those). That "industrial finish" was the rage 15 years ago or so. Now, I couldn't give one away. Well, IDK why, (maybe a defect) but the bearings in the lower case and upper were worn very sloppy. So basically the entire planetary would wobble, which of course would simply tear up the gear train in short order. Usually not a big deal as the gear cases are not usually too expensive. But hours of searching through every part distributor I could find and only one (who doesn't wholesale to me) had one. And it was like $150! Heck for that, plus other parts lady could have nearly bought another new Artisan. Just happened I had taken one in on trade (customer wanted a color swap LOL). Customer happy to take the other color, I gave her a little trade value for the good parts in it and called it a day.
Anyway bottom line WAY too buried to even look at that Genesis. Bad stuff on it? Some of the frame pieces need to be disassembled and new "insert" nuts installed (or whatever you call those things), It's filthy. The grease tray weighs like 8lbs with crap. The original stamped SS grates have broken pieces (common issue). The original SS flavo bars were literally "gone". Never seen that so bad.
The good. Other than the aforementioned bars and grates, everything seems to be there and is "sound". The burners on cursory inspection seem to only need cleaning. Even the collector box is intact and original! No warpage on the fire box (amazingly). Only seems to need some cursory work and lots of elbow grease to have it "cooking with gas" and a new hose/regulator assembly. Or if need be do one of my special converts to NG. If I keep it though, it may stay LP. Since I'll use it as my front patio grill (or my garage queen and maybe suck it up and put the pellet grill on the deck). Jury is out on that. I am still a little scared of pellets and moisture (even under cover). And even more scary I don't know how to get the auger out of it should it ever "pack up" for cleanout. One thing for sure, my little PIA garage has no room for 2 "queens" :D
So I am thinking unless I get more machines in, next week will be the absolute earliest I can look into it.

Wow, nice find Larry!! Looks to be a 2000 or 2001. You will probably find some date codes on some of the parts when you go through it. That lid color is really nice. Looks like there is a tank bumper visible in a couple of the photos so prob LP. Is there a tank gauge?

I love seeing these old Genesis grills. We see so many of them that are 20-40 years old. I wonder how many of the newer 2006 and up grills we will see still in action after 20 years?

My sidewinder E320 may be the exception to that rust problem, it resides under its cover, under a covered patio in a dry climate.
It's about 15 years old and not a sign of any rust or corrosion. But I know that's not the norm.

This thread has me reconsidering thoughts on my latest find. I found a Genesis Gold C LP SS SWE w/SS Lid (USA) - 3290001 (DU0239129) according to the Weber page. It was a deal and included 2 full tanks of propane so I took it even though it was missing the left side table and pull out table completely. I then found a Genesis Silver B LP Mica Blk SWE (USA) - 2281398 (DT0136447) for $20 and another tank of propane and bought it for just for the side table but it also has the swinging basket and is complete. Should I be rehabbing both? They are both completely functional and don't need much to restore them. I typically don't use a gas grill but now that I am hooked on Weber's I wanted our gas grill to be old school and Weber. Eying up an older one with the wood table too but I need to calm down on these gas grills! Thoughts?

Attachments

• Genesis Gold 1.jpg
    Genesis Gold 1.jpg
    177.6 KB · Views: 17
  • Genesis Gold 2.jpg
    Genesis Gold 2.jpg
    189.9 KB · Views: 17
  • Genesis silver.JPG
    Genesis silver.JPG
    113.9 KB · Views: 17
That is a dilema many rehabbers experience when starting out and before they can accumulate spare parts. If you really just want one single grill for yourself, then canibalize one and make one complete grill for your self. You can always work on the other grill later. They both sound like good candidate for rehabbing though.

This thread has me reconsidering thoughts on my latest find. I found a Genesis Gold C LP SS SWE w/SS Lid (USA) - 3290001 (DU0239129) according to the Weber page. It was a deal and included 2 full tanks of propane so I took it even though it was missing the left side table and pull out table completely. I then found a Genesis Silver B LP Mica Blk SWE (USA) - 2281398 (DT0136447) for $20 and another tank of propane and bought it for just for the side table but it also has the swinging basket and is complete. Should I be rehabbing both? They are both completely functional and don't need much to restore them. I typically don't use a gas grill but now that I am hooked on Weber's I wanted our gas grill to be old school and Weber. Eying up an older one with the wood table too but I need to calm down on these gas grills! Thoughts?
Those are both nice grills and are both worth restoring. I guess I would start with the one you like the best and complete it start to finish before moving on to the next one. I have acquired grills that ended up being parts grills because of issues that came up after I got home with them and examined them more closely. Those both appear to be keepers so maybe yet another grill for parts is in order?

That is EXACTLY like my old Silver B right down to the color and double flip-up shelves. I miss those shelves more than anything else on that grill. They need to bring that back. Mine was a 2001.

Last edited:

Hi @JeanaP my .02 of advice matches what @Steve Hoch wrote. Pick one, fix it up and cook on it.

My opinion from what I can see with your pictures is the Silver B without the side burner will be easier to get working first.

If you like the larger cart on the gold you'll need to find the end pieces that slide into the upper frame that holds the side table and swing up table. Once you have these, you can move the left hand swing up table and tray from the Silver B and install it on the Gold. My preference is Enamel lids vs stainless steel, and you could swap that to the Gold frame if you like that look or keep the stainless.

If you have room for an extra grill or two or three in storage, you can collect a couple more and "trade up" as you find colors you like etc.

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your weberitis.

Back