Official “Vortex” Grate?

Timothy F. Lewis

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
I just saw something on Amazon, an official “Vortex” heavy replacement grate!? Just looked at the Owens site and there isn’t anything there. I’d like to find a removable center unit for the 18“ kettle but, I’m in absolutely no rush. The Amazon image looks like a pretty heavy piece of manufacturing but, it’s pretty pricey at $90+ when this GBS dies, maybe but sheesh!

Yes, that’s the one I saw. I don’t know boo about “Island Outdoor” though. Eric, I can see that its for 22, hence the query. Any ideas?
I have both size grills.

Someone else on this forum recently was looking for an 18" GBS style grate as well. I have looked high & low & have not been able to locate one.

I think there is room in the market for that! But, it needs to be heavier duty than the stock one for the 22”. At least I think so.

Someone else on this forum recently was looking for an 18" GBS style grate as well. I have looked high & low & have not been able to locate one.
That was me, been looking for a 18" GBS style for my Jumbo Joe. No Luck. I'll probably just get a cheap standard grate and cut the center out of it.

One thought comes to mind, why not just buy a SS 18" round grate. I own several of the 22" Killa Grilla grates & I use one with the Vortex all the time, they are heavy duty.

One thought comes to mind, why not just buy a SS 18" round grate. I own several of the 22" Killa Grilla grates & I use one with the Vortex all the time, they are heavy duty.
When I do KFC thighs on the Jumbo Joe sometimes I need to add coals because of the small vortex and it's a real pain if you have to take the grate off to load the vortex. I have a GBS grate and a vortex for my performer but with just the two of us it's much easier to use the Jumbo Joe and use a lot less charcoal plus it's much easier to clean.

Strange. The 47cm (18") GBS is available from a few retailers here in Europe, (Belgium, Germany), & one in the UK!
Take. My. Money.

The Weber Accessory “Bug” bit me again; just ordered the “SlowNsear Deluxe and their “Easy Spin Grate”:oops:

A few years back I purchased the SNS Plus,Easy Spin Grate and DripNGriddle pan which has served me well over these past years.

Last edited:
I dig the slowNsear.
I'm on the fence about the grate because mine works well enough.
Richard if you wouldn’t mind can you give a review or your thoughts after you used it ?
Thanks.

I dig the slowNsear.
I'm on the fence about the grate because mine works well enough.
Richard if you wouldn’t mind can you give a review or your thoughts after you used it ?
Thanks.
Andy: i bought my first SNS Easy Spin Grate(ESG) for my 3 year old Weber Performer Deluxe back in the year 2020. I recently purchased another ESG for my new Weber Master-Touch Grill that I purchased last month. IME it is one great BBQ addition to my BBQ Arsenal.
Also, I purchased the SNS Plus(now called Deluxe) and their DripNGriddle pan back in the year 2020 which has really served me Well. Last week I made another same purchase for my new Weber Master-Touch.

Of note; these 3 SNS Products made it more easy in controlling temperature and easy clean-up of my Weber Performeri over these last Three(3) years!

Please note; I am not a SNS Rep here in Costa Rica as I paid full freight and Costa Rican Import taxes for these SNS products.

Last edited:
I've got the spin grate. The heat has caused it discolor a bit in a way I can't get off. It hasn't rusted. That's probably on me for being somewhat neglectful. The concept is great, though and I use the method on steaks with my slow n sear all the time. My only concern with it has been that the metal is thin. That fits the cold grate idea though. It's fantastic for getting that all over sear on steaks without getting burnt grill marks. If you buy into the method, get the grate. The slow n sear puts out some serious direct heat and the damage I have is on the door part that goes over the slow n sear. It still looks head and shoulders better than any non stainless grate I have.

I have the UnknownBBQ small sear grate that fits over the large Weber chimney. Although a bit of fun, getting food remnants out of the nooks & crannies of the "diamonds" is a pain in the bum. Don't want to do that on a large scale. It does look pretty though.......but I'll pass.

Back