Off Topic - Build Mod for HM

I bought the plans for the Double Pan Gravity smoker. The one on this thread is the small one. The double has 5 racks that are 25x28 inches.

The plans are from Smokerbuilder.com. you receive a step by step plan and if you ask, they will send you a BOM with all the Cuts needed and materials needed.

So, basically once I receive my steel, all I have to do is weld it, insulate it and add the other parts as needed and will have very stable smoker for alot cheaper then buying new stumps smoker that cost close to 7k

Okay, I see that a CNC cut file (DXF format) is available. Wonder if I can get a sample CNC file from them... and might have to start making some calls over the winter.

Okay, I see that a CNC cut file (DXF format) is available. Wonder if I can get a sample CNC file from them... and might have to start making some calls over the winter.

It's a pretty good website and they are very responsive. I sent an email to get the BOM and two minutes later I had what I needed. And they will answer all questions you may have.

Sweet baby Jesus that is a lot of steel. And I thought my BGE weighed a ton!

Yeah, that even made my eye buldge some when I saw the weight, but the price of having it all cut and parts bent for me was to hard to pass up. I tried to get a weight estimate before I received quotes for the steel and everybody was saying around 800 to 900 pounds, so maybe the 1100 is some scrap material added in before it's cut to size. Everything is getting laser cut.

I now will need to figure out how to get it all into my Honda Civic coupe, lol. Or just rent a uhaul

Well..... I don't think that moving 1,100 lbs. of steel will be a problem for me, I'm moving 500 gallons of cider in a couple of palletized totes for the homebrewers' club in a couple of weeks for the Teach a Friend To Brew Day.

That smoker build is awesome! That may be my winter project. What is your OTD price for the project? Less than $1,500?

That smoker build is awesome! That may be my winter project. What is your OTD price for the project? Less than $1,500?

Depends on which version you make the mini or the double pan gravity smoker. I'm making the double pan

I'm currently waiting on my steel to get all cut, 1150 pounds of it, is getting laser cut. That alone has a cost of about $1450. Then you are looking at other parts. You can get a package from a website that has most of the hardware for around $200.

All said in done, I'm looking close to 2k, not including all the welding crap I had to buy

A similar sized Stumps smoker cost about $6610

Depends on which version you make the mini or the double pan gravity smoker. I'm making the double pan

I'm currently waiting on my steel to get all cut, 1150 pounds of it, is getting laser cut. That alone has a cost of about $1450. Then you are looking at other parts. You can get a package from a website that has most of the hardware for around $200.

All said in done, I'm looking close to 2k, not including all the welding crap I had to buy

A similar sized Stumps smoker cost about $6610

I was talking about the smaller one Begg was building, but if you're building the Cockford Ollie for around $2k, sign me up! Plus all your steel is "precut" when you get it!?! That's awesome!

I think I might be sold on a DIY smoker from this place. Just need to polish up the ol welding skills. Or obtain some welding skills. Whatevs.

Cost me around $900-$1000 for the mini. I cut my own sheet and tubing, but had the FB and chimney (1/4" and 1/2" sheet) laser cut by a local fabricator.

I was talking about the smaller one Begg was building, but if you're building the Cockford Ollie for around $2k, sign me up! Plus all your steel is "precut" when you get it!?! That's awesome!

I think I might be sold on a DIY smoker from this place. Just need to polish up the ol welding skills. Or obtain some welding skills. Whatevs.

I never welded before, so this will be fun, and I believe Wbegg was a novice also.

Mine will have 5 racks at 28.250x25inches. Not sure the size of racks on the mini.

I called alot of places around me and all were pretty close for prices for the frame, about 813 inches of 2x2 tube($35 per 20ft), but the cut prices were all over the place. I got 16 gauge sheet quotes from $60 per sheet to $100 per sheet(needed 6) and $400+ for cutting. The .5 inch and 1/4 material, I think was cheaper to have it cut, then for getting a piece that was 4x4feet and not cut. The only thing I don't have cut are the holes, and I will get them cut at work in our tool room. I should be getting my first welding done next week. I'm getting excited, thanks Wbegg

If you have never welded before, you will certainly know how by the time you're done. There's A LOT of welding on this project.

The Mini has 3 racks, each about 18" x 22", often referred to as "single pan". It will hold 9 racks of ribs, or 6 Boston Butts, or 3 full packer Briskets.

The double pan is my winter project as well...

However the plans only served as an inspiration, since I need to convert everything to metrics before proceeding. Basically I've had to redraw and rethink the whole model with Sketchup in metric units, I think I've got it mostly right now...

After I received my cut parts, I realized that I was missing alot of parts. If anybody does get the Double Pan and also ask for a cut BOM, which they will give to you for free, it does not have all the Cuts listed. I was missing the exterior plates and some other stuff like the out feed vent cover.

I wrote Frank an email and he said it's an oversight and it will be corrected and he then sent me a DXF file for free and I was able to modify it and send to my steel shop to get it cut.

You would think they would have a metric plans available, as they seem to have alot of sales overseas

Making some progress
I need to wait for some material before I start to install the interior panels. My welding needs to get better. For some reason I can be welding really good and then all a sudden a section wants to burn through for some odd reason, I may need to slow down my feed some. I hate grinding.

post picture to web

Burn-throughs can come from a variety of reasons, such as not moving the puddle fast enough, using a little too much juice, etc.

Looks awesome so far!

I noticed the BOM/Cut List and plans didn't match up for the mini. I am in the process of "building" it in SketchUp to see where some problem areas may arise.

And for the dxf, will lines in an AutoCAD/MicroStation file be what a CNC needs? If that's the case, I can draw up those cuts in about 10 minutes and have a dxf ready for the cutter.

I didn't want to start another thread a out a few ity feed smoker, so will just add to this thread. Thanks to Wbegg, I have been building the larger GF smoker from the same website as the GF in OP. I'm almost finished and I thought I would post a couple of pics.

This will have a place to hold the heatermeter and all the cabling will be internal routed. I will be adding some shelves, once its finished. The overall height is close to 7 feet tall(stack height). Weight in the 1300 pound range. Its my first ever welding job, so its been pretty fun

Dang! Your getting this built quickly! Looks great! You're gonna love it once you get some meat in there.

Back