Oak Wood for Smoking

John_NJ

TVWBB Wizard
I have read about using hickory, cherry, mesquite wood chunks when smoking on the charcoal grill.

Has anyone used oak?

The reason I am asking is that I work in an architectural millwork shop, and have access to white oak and red oak chunks. I would normally stash some to burn in the fireplace of our cabin by the lake, but am wondering if I could use some to add smoke flavoring.

Good idea?

It’s free.

I can also get walnut chunks.

Wood popularity is cyclical. A few years ago everyone wanted cherry.

Now everyone wants walnut.

Oak is pretty steady though. Mostly white oak.

Thanks in advance.

You could but, milled material is going to be way more dry than you want for smoking. It’s more likely to simply burn and raise your smoking temperature. You can try but, I’d save it for fireplace.
I have a cabinet maker buddy that stocks me with fireplace kindling and it sure makes quick work of lighting a fire.
this question comes around fairly often.

You could but, milled material is going to be way more dry than you want for smoking. It’s more likely to simply burn and raise your smoking temperature. You can try but, I’d save it for fireplace.
I have a cabinet maker buddy that stocks me with fireplace kindling and it sure makes quick work of lighting a fire.
this question comes around fairly often.

I will ask around about that.

I know framing lumber is usually kiln dried.

Not sure about hardwood.

Either way, wood acclimates to the relative humidity and if it’s kept outside in a damp climate is should not be that dry.

I remember my dad grilling with hickory chunks and soaking them in a bucket of water beforehand- but that was way before the internet so who knows if it was correct.

Oak is my top favorite flavor. Makes for great smoking AND live fire cooking. As in using a piece of oak to make a live fire and cook steaks or tri tips over.

I also use oak for making pizza on the Summit Kamado. Oak imparts a clean, natural wood smoke flavor without overpowering what it’s cooking.

Walnut is on my list to use. And almond too. We have both locally, but I haven’t bought any yet.

Oak is my top favorite flavor. Makes for great smoking AND live fire cooking. As in using a piece of oak to make a live fire and cook steaks or tri tips over.

I also use oak for making pizza on the Summit Kamado. Oak imparts a clean, natural wood smoke flavor without overpowering what it’s cooking.

Walnut is on my list to use. And almond too. We have both locally, but I haven’t bought any yet.
Walnut is pretty high in creosote, I don’t use it and I have a lot of free walnut! I like oak, I use it now and then I’m just not sure about cabinet grade stuff being more likely to be live fire than smoke.
Almond is very nice, I have some olive that is light and just delightful!
I’ve been on a wine barrel stave kick for brisket for the last four or five cooks.All I can say about that is WOW! Well worth the cost from Fruitawood! I need to try some orange. Here in Michigan cherry is abundant, I need to cozy up to a farmer for limb cuttings. I’ll have to go to the farmers market and see my favorite people!
Brett, let me know how the walnut is, please?

Walnut is pretty high in creosote, I don’t use it and I have a lot of free walnut! I like oak, I use it now and then I’m just not sure about cabinet grade stuff being more likely to be live fire than smoke.
Almond is very nice, I have some olive that is light and just delightful!
I’ve been on a wine barrel stave kick for brisket for the last four or five cooks.All I can say about that is WOW! Well worth the cost from Fruitawood! I need to try some orange. Here in Michigan cherry is abundant, I need to cozy up to a farmer for limb cuttings. I’ll have to go to the farmers market and see my favorite people!
Brett, let me know how the walnut is, please?
Will do and thanks for that feedback and input.

Side note, I have marinated tri tips in Zinfandel for overnight and then cooked over oak. Flavor was spectacular. After the wine marinade, did a very light sprinkling of Montreal seasoning. The Zin really penetrated the whole roast and we liked the flavor. Maybe it was around 1 cup for a whole TT. That’s all that was needed.

Will do and thanks for that feedback and input.

Side note, I have marinated tri tips in Zinfandel for overnight and then cooked over oak. Flavor was spectacular. After the wine marinade, did a very light sprinkling of Montreal seasoning. The Zin really penetrated the whole roast and we liked the flavor. Maybe it was around 1 cup for a whole TT. That’s all that was needed.
Good, let me know!

From today- about 1” x 2” x 12” white oak- since I’m new to the game, are these an acceptable size? I would probably cut them into 3” -4” lengths and maybe use two chunks?

Thanks in advance.285C65EE-5409-4E21-BC7B-7E53FD29D147.jpeg

From today- about 1” x 2” x 12” white oak- since I’m new to the game, are these an acceptable size? I would probably cut them into 3” -4” lengths and maybe use two chunks?

Thanks in advance.View attachment 61364
yup, too long. id go with an assortment of 2" to 4" chunks. this way you can do direct cooks and not overheat the coalbed and burn your protein while still getting the smoke and heat output (2" chunks). the 4" chunks will go better for LAS (not the airport) cooks using the defllector plate and cook temps of 250F-275F. assuming this is raw and untreated wood. yes? the 3' chunks will give you diversity and choices.

yup, too long. id go with an assortment of 2" to 4" chunks. this way you can do direct cooks and not overheat the coalbed and burn your protein while still getting the smoke and heat output (2" chunks). the 4" chunks will go better for LAS (not the airport) cooks using the defllector plate and cook temps of 250F-275F. assuming this is raw and untreated wood. yes? the 3' chunks will give you diversity and choices.
Raw untreated oak yes.

I am grilling chicken thighs at the moment but should probably wait a few more cooks before trying it.

Thank you Sir!

That stuff is worth money. Google "oak accent wall" for starters.

"Oak countertop" also gets results, but the quantity is less.

Raw untreated oak yes.

I am grilling chicken thighs at the moment but should probably wait a few more cooks before trying it.

Thank you Sir!
No. Tomorrow isn’t guaranteed. Use the wood when you have it. Don’t delay. You’ll do just fine. Watch the cook. I’m assuming you’re doing chicken indirect anyways so it’s really hard to mess that up and burn them. And thighs are super forgiving.

That stuff is worth money. Google "oak accent wall" for starters.

"Oak countertop" also gets results, but the quantity is less.
Here are some quartered rift white oak cut offs that have been sitting in my yard waiting to be burned in the fireplace.

44452FEB-19E9-4D55-BAB6-79AAE6304C31.jpeg

Back