Oak Wood for Smoking

No. Tomorrow isn’t guaranteed. Use the wood when you have it. Don’t delay. You’ll do just fine. Watch the cook. I’m assuming you’re doing chicken indirect anyways so it’s really hard to mess that up and burn them. And thighs are super forgiving.
I done messed up- I was trying to bring the heat down after direct seating the chicken, and I closed the vents too much and the coals were practically extinguished.

I took off the grill with the chicken, added a few more briquettes and dropped the coal baskets to the lower lever and fired up the gas assist.

It’s just starting to get hot again.

Last edited:
No time for oak!

I moved the baskets together and am direct cooking those chicks.

My family is hungry!

Ughhh…C22697C1-BB62-46C3-837A-C3FB2AA06626.jpeg

That can happen, using the indirect method kind of lessens the concern, I go wide open on the bottom. Using the “runway” method, you get all the benefit of the higher heat and thighs will generally brown nicely without ever even doing anything.
It’s practice grasshopper, the knowledge will come in time. When you can take the thigh from the grill…. Sorry, bad Kung Fu reference, couldn’t resist!

I done messed up- I was trying to bring the heat down after direct seating the chicken, and I closed the vents too much and the coals were practically extinguished.

I took off the grill with the chicken, added a few more briquettes and dropped the coal baskets to the lower lever and fired up the gas assist.

It’s just starting to get hot again.
We’ve all done that. Welcome to the club. Lower vent controls air flow in. Making hot or cooler temp. Top vent aloes bottom to breathe easier for rapid fire heating and keeps heat in the cooker. Fine tune the top for temp once the bottom gets you close to temp.

You all know the wood you buy at Lowes and Home Depot ect and such has been kiln dried? yep has to be heat treated to ship per the feds. that's 1 reason and the best reason to source wood locally imo. I would use it without hesitation.

Great television.

Wasn’t Kwai Chang Caine a vegetarian?
You all know the wood you buy at Lowes and Home Depot ect and such has been kiln dried? yep has to be heat treated to ship per the feds. that's 1 reason and the best reason to source wood locally imo. I would use it without hesitation.
John, yes, yes he was but I don’t think he ever ate much on screen.

Excellent point Mike, they kiln fry to kill errant crawly critters and fungi. Benign treatment but, it is dried. I was going to chat up one of my favorite farmers at the Farmers Market here yesterday but, it was pretty crappy out and I stayed home except a trip to the post office.

Back