Nobody Using Q Grills?

I'll probably pick a few of them up and play around with them and donate them to some deserving people. Eventually probably snag a 2800N+ and hang on to that one.

Or maybe a 1200 and a 2800 we'll see. They don't take up much space.

I think if you take care of a GOOD set of cast iron grates, you can expect to get 3 or 4 years out of them. Worth it in my book. Give it a try!
I know I sideswipe the conversation a bit, but why do people seem to dislike cast iron?

First time I seriously grilled in my life was on my Dad's Q grill, new at the time. It must be what, its fifteenth year in service? It probably gets neglected now, the grates need more regular cleaning and a lot more oiling. But they still work fine. I don't see how or why they would need replacing.

The cast iron grates on my spirit is in its eigth or ninth year, seeing heavy use for years and some neglect in the last two.

A lifetime of 3 to four years seems wild to me. Are they rusting through that quickly?

I know I sideswipe the conversation a bit, but why do people seem to dislike cast iron?

First time I seriously grilled in my life was on my Dad's Q grill, new at the time. It must be what, its fifteenth year in service? It probably gets neglected now, the grates need more regular cleaning and a lot more oiling. But they still work fine. I don't see how or why they would need replacing.

The cast iron grates on my spirit is in its eigth or ninth year, seeing heavy use for years and some neglect in the last two.

A lifetime of 3 to four years seems wild to me. Are they rusting through that quickly?
I very much like GOOD very cast iron myself. I was trying to be conservative. Some of the Weber cast iron that had the glossy smooth coating probably wouldn't last even that long, but the newer kind with a rougher matte finish seems to last longer. A lot depends on the level of care it is given and the environment your grill is in.

I’ve had my Q1200 for 8 years and the grates still look very good. I do only use it for small cooks and it lives in the garage.

@Jon Tofte Am I remembering correctly that you said QuliMetal CI grates for Q series were pretty good?

I picked up a Q 200 series late last night and asked for options on the best grates you can get for them other than the German SS grates. It was to late and everyone was offline. I didn't want to miss the Amazon sale so I ordered the QuliMetal grates for a great price hoping they are good quality like their SS grates are.

Well, You have all the Q sizes covered there, Josh! You will be in a great position to try them and see what you think of each. I think you will find the 1200 and the 320 to both be plenty hot, with the 320 offering an impressive amount of real estate and the flexibility of dual burners. The middle 200 may not be quite as hot, but it is fully capable. Nice thing about these is that they bridge portability with enough room for a small family cookout. I think the lower btu per square inch of the 200/2000 series Qs is what Weber decided to tackle in coming out with the 2800. That really blends the middle ground between the "big Q" and the small 100/1000 series ones.

I look forward to your impressions. :coolkettle:

Well, You have all the Q sizes covered there, Josh! You will be in a great position to try them and see what you think of each. I think you will find the 1200 and the 320 to both be plenty hot, with the 320 offering an impressive amount of real estate and the flexibility of dual burners. The middle 200 may not be quite as hot, but it is fully capable. Nice thing about these is that they bridge portability with enough room for a small family cookout. I think the lower btu per square inch of the 200/2000 series Qs is what Weber decided to tackle in coming out with the 2800. That really blends the middle ground between the "big Q" and the small 100/1000 series ones.

I look forward to your impressions. :coolkettle:
I will eventually get a Q2800 to try and probably hang on to that one.

I would love to find a 2800 as well. It likely would replace the Q220 I have on my back deck now. But it would be hard to give that grill up with the SS grates on it. I am assuming the grates are not compatible with the 2800.

I would love to find a 2800 as well. It likely would replace the Q220 I have on my back deck now. But it would be hard to give that grill up with the SS grates on it. I am assuming the grates are not compatible with the 2800.
I was thinking the same thing Bruce!

I think if Grill Grates made a perfect fitting grate for the Q grills that would be a perfect application for them but it appears they took the lazy way out and made a over grate non fitted version for the Q grills.

Back