No smoke.. but still a 4 hr cook - Shrimp Stew

Rusty Breaux

TVWBB Fan
Spent the weekend at a festival in South Louisiana and got inspired to stir a roux.

Made a little shrimp stew. Came out pretty good and had some nice spice.

20161016_160818_zpsamgdqznw.jpg

20161016_192224_zpszimlhx1b.jpg

SmartSelectImage_2016-10-16-21-30-43_zpsgvg85i1u.png

rb

The stew looks great! Care to share the recipe?

Recipe? Hmmm.. Let see.

-About cup of flower and 3/4 cup of oil for the roux. Stir over med heat for about an hour or so till dark brown (probably close to the color of a football).
-Slowly stir boiling water into the roux until the pot is about 2/3 full and boil med/high heat
-Add 2 to 3 onions and one red bell pepper Diced to boiling roux
-Add a little cajun seasoning just to get the flavor building.
-leave uncovered and lightly boiling for about 3 hours, stirring every few mins to ensure nothing is sticking to the bottom. Add water when the level gets below 1/2 pot
-With about an hour to go, add boiled and peeled eggs to gravy, also season again around this time
-10 - 20 mins before serving add 2 lbs of peeled / devained and seasoned (hot sauce and cajun season) shrimp to the boiling stew
- Just before serving cut Green Onion Tops into the stew
- Serve over rice

All that said, Make a roux, add onions/bellpeppers, let cook for most of the afternoon. :)

Looking back at it, Smoking meats and cajun cooking are alot alike. It takes a long time and there are very few ingredients and steps. Just takes alot of love and time to do it right. There are machines to pump smoke into a bbq pit, and there are bottles of roux that can be bought, BUT i choose the manual rout because it gets you closer to the finished product and keeps traditions and skills alive (in my opinion of course).

Regards
rb

Looks a lot like gumbo. Nice roux!

Its close to the same. The steps are very much the same, but the roux is much thicker and the stew is spicier overall. And i can cook a gumbo in that pot as opposed to my gumbos that need to be cooked outside on a burner in a much bigger pot. :)

rb

20161016_160818_zpsamgdqznw.jpg

Absolutely beautiful color on that roux, Rusty. A labor of love to be sure, and my favorite photo to start the week! I'll file this one away for a rainy day for sure. Would be perfect with a chill in the air!

Rich

Looks great Rusty, making a good roux takes time and effort and that one shows it, nice cook

There are machines to pump smoke into a bbq pit, and there are bottles of roux that can be bought, BUT i choose the manual rout because it gets you closer to the finished product and keeps traditions and skills alive (in my opinion of course).

Well said Rusty. I agree completely. Excellent looking meal! Thanks for sharing the recipe too.

Back