No rub?

Loren Hambone

I'm wondering if anybody here smokes pork ribs with no rub or maybe adding some late in the smoke. Just wondered if simpler might be OK. I'll probably try it just for the learning experience but wondered what others thought. I've been cooking on my bullet for 13 years, but never considered this.

Also, does anyone want to share a sweet sauce recipe for pork ribs? I'm looking for something really sweet. Thanks.

Loren

Many years ago when I had my first smoker which was a Brinkmann water smoker I didn’t put anything on my ribs and I remember them being very good. I knew nothing about rubs or seasoning and this was in 1979-80.

If I'm just cooking ribs at home and I know I am going to put a little sauce on them, I'll just do a very light salt and pepper dusting. It's very easy for me to overdo it on salt and seasoning for my wife's taste so I have to remember to tone it down a bit.

I'm wondering if anybody here smokes pork ribs with no rub or maybe adding some late in the smoke. Just wondered if simpler might be OK. I'll probably try it just for the learning experience but wondered what others thought. I've been cooking on my bullet for 13 years, but never considered this.

Also, does anyone want to share a sweet sauce recipe for pork ribs? I'm looking for something really sweet. Thanks.

Loren
search the sauce forum for others

When incorporating the meat in another non BBQ dish, I’ll cook with zero seasoning. Happens often.

I've done the last couple of rib cooks with just salt & pepper and served them without any sauce. They were a nice change of pace and very tasty too. I'm sure they would have been just fine if they were seasoned late, or even after they were done.

2 cups packed brown sugar 2 cups ketchup 1 cup cider vinegar 1/2 cup dehydrated onions 1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce 1 TBSP granulated garlic 1 TBSP Liquid Smoke 2 tsp kosher salt 1 tsp black pepper. Mix all ingredients together and bring to a boil. Simmer until desired consistency. Allow to cool and store refrigerated

Thanks for all your responses. Next time I'll go with a little salt and have the rub to sprinkle on at the table. Thanks also for the sweet sauce recipes. I was thinking this might get a more distinct heat and sweet.

Ribs can be really good with just salt and pepper and letting your sauce carry the other flavors. It's a really nice change of pace. I wouldn't cook with no salt. You'll wind up with something really bland.

I did a baby back cook a few months ago using three different recipes. One of them was from Steven Raichlen and it used a marinade instead of a rub. That was new to me, but the ribs turned out really good. The marinade used a cherry lambic beer. I'd link the recipe if it was on the net, but its not. Its in Raichlen's book " Ribs, Ribs, Outrageous Ribs " or " Best Ribs Ever " .

https://tvwbb.com/threads/cherry-baby-backs.90604/#post-1030312

Back